IGNORED

Tampons are Tools of Patriarchy

happy atheist

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because you're not a true feminist unless you interact with your bodily fluids.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/artic ... sible.html

Certainly tampon use has nothing to do with hygiene, and everything to do with shame. Amiright, ladies?

Oh, Please. First off, from the early 70s, my little virginal friends and I all used tampons--they were easier, and maybe the entertainers want to leave a red stain, but I didn't. I don't want to leave yellow, red or brown on anyone's furniture.... I'm not sure that this translates to my not celebrating my womanhood.

What? I can't quite figure out what they are hoping to accomplish with that. I'm bewildered. Personally, I use tampons because they're more comfortable. I'm not trying to hide my period. So wierd.

I use a Diva Cup, which puts me in close intimate contact with my flow yet makes it nearly undetectable to anyone else. What does that make me?

I use a Diva Cup, which puts me in close intimate contact with my flow yet makes it nearly undetectable to anyone else. What does that make me?

That depends on whether you use the collected blood to create art, obviously.

Damn straight I'm trying to hide my period. I accept the fact that I have one (for a few more years anyway)and it's a part of life, but I certainly don't enjoy the pain and aggravation. What exactly would it be about blood pouring down my legs that would make me more of a woman's woman anyway?

It's not like I'm ashamed of it. If you ask me about my current state, I'll be happy to share, though I can't imagine why anyone would want to know. I'll think you're a little wierd but would probably consider it a lesson in not asking questions you really aren't sure you want the answer to... :P

That depends on whether you use the collected blood to create art, obviously.

Or to marinate a roast...

I'm so confused. I only use pads, and they're most certainly not visible. lol That would kind of defeat the purpose. They shouldn't smell unless you're leaving one on for like the entire day without changing it. I don't 'feel the menstrual blood' 'against my body', either. Pads now are not the same as they were forty years ago. But it makes no difference. I use pads because I personally prefer them to other methods. I don't think my way is the only right way, I don't care what other women do, and I don't need anyone else telling me that I'm doing it wrong or not being a feminist or whatever because of the way I choose to contain/dispose of my menstrual blood. I mean for crying out loud!

I thought this was actually an interesting discussion about the "visibleness" if that is a word, of periods. It certainly wasn't trying to shame anyone for using tampons.

I don't use tampons and I do use pads. Part of the reason for this is that I want to see women menstruating as a normal thing. It's not creepy or gross. Some women use tampons and some use pads, and it's all cool. Women pick what makes them feel most comfortable.

My discussions with men have gone like this:

Women bleed every month. It's not like peeing blood, unless the woman is unwell. Here's how it works [explanation]. It's not horrible at all, and it's OK to talk about it.

I dunno. It's as normal as having a crap and we shouldn't be shy.

I don't think my way is the only right way, I don't care what other women do, and I don't need anyone else telling me that I'm doing it wrong or not being a feminist or whatever because of the way I choose to contain/dispose of my menstrual blood.

But... but...

As long as you arent squeezing those tampons into food and serving them to unsuspecting people, does it really matter whether you use tampons, pads, cups...

I dont think they are tools of patriarchy. I think they are just something people use to stop them from bleeding everywhere when theyre on their period. And yes, people prefer not to mention bodily fluids, people dont talk loudly and openly about periods just the same as most people dont tell everyone within earshot about when they last went to the toilet. Its gross.

The reason people find it disgusting when people use period blood art is because its a bodily fluid and is kinda unsanitary, like if someone was painting with their poo.

As long as you arent squeezing those tampons into food and serving them to unsuspecting people, does it really matter whether you use tampons, pads, cups...

I dont think they are tools of patriarchy. I think they are just something people use to stop them from bleeding everywhere when theyre on their period. And yes, people prefer not to mention bodily fluids, people dont talk loudly and openly about periods just the same as most people dont tell everyone within earshot about when they last went to the toilet. Its gross.

The reason people find it disgusting when people use period blood art is because its a bodily fluid and is kinda unsanitary, like if someone was painting with their poo.

:ew: Now comes visuals of the infamous Naked Roast Sitter. Thanks for the reminder IloveJellyBeans

The most WTF thing about that article for me is that the writer apparently thinks it's okay to flush tampons down the toilet. :pink-shock: How are the pipes in your house not completely exploding?!

(Secondary WTF: The assertion that "Happy and Bleeding" by PJ Harvey, one of my favorite songs, is about periods. Sure - in the same way that "American Pie" is about baked goods.)

The most WTF thing about that article for me is that the writer apparently thinks it's okay to flush tampons down the toilet. :pink-shock: How are the pipes in your house not completely exploding?!

(Secondary WTF: The assertion that "Happy and Bleeding" by PJ Harvey, one of my favorite songs, is about periods. Sure - in the same way that "American Pie" is about baked goods.)

Most tampons are labeled "flushable" and a really shocking number of people don't seem to know that this isn't true.

I do have one issue with tampons, which the plastic applicators that are SUCH a huge waste. But I just get non-applicator ones. Actually, I have my MIL bring me "Jessa" brand tampons from Germany because they are THE.BEST.

I'm so confused. I only use pads, and they're most certainly not visible. lol That would kind of defeat the purpose. They shouldn't smell unless you're leaving one on for like the entire day without changing it. I don't 'feel the menstrual blood' 'against my body', either. Pads now are not the same as they were forty years ago. But it makes no difference. I use pads because I personally prefer them to other methods. I don't think my way is the only right way, I don't care what other women do, and I don't need anyone else telling me that I'm doing it wrong or not being a feminist or whatever because of the way I choose to contain/dispose of my menstrual blood. I mean for crying out loud!

Ha! You don't "feel the menstrual blood against your body" because you are using the wrong pads! You should stick to the good homemade variety!!!!! ;)

What a bunch of nonsense!

I don't think you want to flush them if you have a septic tank, but otherwise it's fine.

That's not always the case, as sometimes they can clog sewer pipes in older homes.

Ha! You don't "feel the menstrual blood against your body" because you are using the wrong pads! You should stick to the good homemade variety!!!!! ;)

What a bunch of nonsense!

That must be it! I am using the evil disposable kind. I also once tried to use a menstrual cup and absolutely hated it, so I think I fail feminism. ;)

I have flushed a lot of tampons and some applicators (plastic and non, but I preferred plastic because the cardboard ones hurt) down the toilet. I lived in an older home at the time, and nothin ever got clogged up.

Now I use a cup. I've only gone back to tampons when I had abdominal surgery and had trouble reaching... Otherwise I absolutely love it.

Is sitting down to pee also a tool of the patriarchy? Does it mean that I am ashamed of my urethra and the trajectory that my urine takes out of my body?

Hell no. I would like to urinate, defecate, and dispose of my menstural blood in the most discrete way possible, because I don't think anyone, including myself, needs to interact with anything exiting my body any more than absolutely necessary.

Also, I am absolutely not hiding any of this. Anyone who looks at me, a 20-something, healthy woman, can easily deduce that I menstruate. If they're really not sure, they can feel free to ask. I feel no need to further advertise this, just as I don't need to advertise that I urinate, defecate, or perform other bodily functions.

I had to check that this wasn't comment #36 from this awesome The Toast piece:

http://the-toast.net/2013/07/02/all-you ... es-online/

(hat tip to OnceModestTwiceShy)

Anyway, I do have a funny story:

Around 20 years ago, I went to a Naomi Wolf ("The Beauty Myth") lecture with some friends. [Yes, this is what I did for a fun night out in university.] At the end, she took questions from the audience, so I got a chance to ask her one.

"What did you ask?", asked a male friend.

"Well, it was about menstural taboos and...." I started to reply

"Ewww, stop! Don't tell me that!" my male friend screamed.

Point made.

I had to check that this wasn't comment #36 from this awesome The Toast piece:

http://the-toast.net/2013/07/02/all-you ... es-online/

(hat tip to OnceModestTwiceShy)

Anyway, I do have a funny story:

Around 20 years ago, I went to a Naomi Wolf ("The Beauty Myth") lecture with some friends. [Yes, this is what I did for a fun night out in university.] At the end, she took questions from the audience, so I got a chance to ask her one.

"What did you ask?", asked a male friend.

"Well, it was about menstural taboos and...." I started to reply

"Ewww, stop! Don't tell me that!" my male friend screamed.

Point made.

And yet they talk about their bodily functions all the damn time! :lol:

Also: Margaret Cho's stand-up bit on what would happen if straight men had periods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuOikd5c8ho

I once met a guy who from Europe who was traveling in the wild west eager to meet a real Indian. When he found out that I was a real (despite my lack of braids, beads and buckskin)Indian he constantly grilled me for details on my culture. Somehow it got to how we treated menstruation. Now I could have said we all just used pads & tampons like everyone else but being a bit into mischief back then I told him we were supposed to be isolated during that time, we had special huts for the purpose that had benches covered in an absorbent moss which we ritually buried when it was all over. I even went as far to say that the diaper and feminine product companies started using the ultra-absorbent spagnum moss in their products after they stole the idea from my people. He was the only guy I've ever met who showed a genuine interest in menstruation so I do feel a little bad that I led him up the garden path with my story.

Archived