IGNORED

Tampons are Tools of Patriarchy

happy atheist

If nothing else, they certainly are a waste of money and time. Why do you think your body needs all that? If you don't have a horrendous stench, the most you need is a little water splashed on your vulva (not in your vagina!) when you shower. If you do, then covering it up is a BAD idea. What you need to do is go to the doctor and find out if something is wrong, because healthy bodies should not smell rancid and awful from fifty paces.

My mom is obsessive too. Took me a while to shake her neuroses about it!

But yes, those things are bad news. Vaginal odor goes through a cycle just like everything else in our bodies, and may be stronger at certain times of month, but it should always have its own healthy scent. Being familiar with it means that you will know right away if something is seriously off. If it is off, that means it's time to go the GYN, NOT cover it up. Perfumes, sprays, suppositories, and all that other stuff will also dry you out, throw your ph out of whack, and could make you more vulnerable to irritations and infections (not just STIs). Moreover, if you already have an infection of which you are unaware, douching can force it further into your body.

I can't even use soap without irritation, but one thing that works great is mixing water with a little baking soda and just using it on the outside. Your should NEVER put soap in the vaginal canal.

Lastly, remember, your own scent will always smell stronger to you than someone else, especially if you're focusing on it!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I WILL concede is that I get a little irritated by all the tampon cases and tampon covers and other things to make your tampons "discreet" in case someone sees the inside of your purse. Know what? I don't need to make the chapstick, dental floss, and nail file I carry in my purse discreet, and a tampon is just another necessity. I don't care at all if a -gasp!- man sees it. That's like having a special bag to bring to the grocery store when you have to buy toilet paper, in case someone sees it and finds out that you poop.

But that's just me. Shameless hussy me. :lol:

This! And also sometimes the "pretty" wrappers can be deceiving...I used to share a very small office with a guy friend, and I kept some of those little brightly-wrapped compact Tampax in my desk drawer. One time he saw them as I opened the drawer and said, "ooh, is that candy??" He was both embarrassed and disappointed to hear what they really were.

Also, I didn't know until pretty recently that you weren't supposed to flush tampons...when I moved into an (old) apartment where it states in the LEASE that you may not flush tampons! Has anyone else come across that? Anyway, that was enough for me to switch to the Diva cup...so...take that, patriarchy??

My mother had to explain to me what a douche was when I was a pre-teen. I believe it was in the context of her telling me to NEVER douche. By my time I only knew douche as slang for idiot/asshole. :P

Maybe I'm just lucky that I've never had 'issues down there' but I can't understand why you would want to douche, spray, or otherwise use chemicals for that purpose. Wouldn't it irritate the area? Just shower regularly. If something smells wrong you should probably go to the doctor and look into the actual cause, not cover it up with scents.

This! And also sometimes the "pretty" wrappers can be deceiving...I used to share a very small office with a guy friend, and I kept some of those little brightly-wrapped compact Tampax in my desk drawer. One time he saw them as I opened the drawer and said, "ooh, is that candy??" He was both embarrassed and disappointed to hear what they really were.

Back when I still used tampons I had a little OB case that was almost identical to a floss case. One day it went missing until my brother returned from a road trip where he got a lot of grief from his buddies for having tampons in his overnight bag.

Btw, the case was purely for protective reasons, those OBs tended to lose their wrapper if left to roll around loose in my purse.

I dislike tampons but not for moral reasons- sheesh! So I don't use them unless I am going to swim. Simple enough. The ads that bug me are the ones talking about how the wrapper doesn't make noise - if I am opening a pad then I will be either alone or in a space with other women. It's not like I think horrible things about the woman in the next stall if I hear a crinkle! STUPID!

The only cleanser that gets near my lady garden is good old fashioned soap. It does get a bit smelly down there if I don't wash often enough, but that is just as true of the rest of my body!

YES! Seriously. It's like everywhere else, wash it and it's fine. It doesn't smell disgusting or horrible that it needs douches or sprays. It smells like a fanny's supposed to, deal with it.

Back when I still used tampons I had a little OB case that was almost identical to a floss case. One day it went missing until my brother returned from a road trip where he got a lot of grief from his buddies for having tampons in his overnight bag.

Btw, the case was purely for protective reasons, those OBs ended to lose their wrapper if left to roll around loose in my purse.

I used to only use ob. :D My ex felt one of those in my pocket in HS and got excited that I'd smuggled candy in.

Also, I didn't know until pretty recently that you weren't supposed to flush tampons...when I moved into an (old) apartment where it states in the LEASE that you may not flush tampons! Has anyone else come across that? Anyway, that was enough for me to switch to the Diva cup...so...take that, patriarchy??

We had issues in my old office building , it was fairly new but had low flow toilets that had issues with tampons. We got some fairly explicit signs about it. The first round just said feminine products.

Am I alone in never liking tampons? They always hurt to put in--though other odds and ends, like diaphragms and manlybits, didn't.

I hate them with a passion. They feel icky going in, and sweet baby jeebus, the pain of pulling out a dry one! No thank you. I also really, really hate pads.

For those who've had bad luck with the Diva Cup, I recommend trying a different brand if you're still interested in a cup. I used the Diva for several years, and then when it was time to replace it I ordered a Moon Cup and a Lunette. I've only tried the Moon so far, but I like it so much better than the Diva. It's not as deep and it has never felt uncomfortable like the Diva would every once in awhile. The Lunette looks to be the smallest, so I'm sure it'll be just fine as well. And I always trim off the stems completely because I find them to be more of a nuisance than anything.

I personally don't give a rat's patoot what other women use. Cups work best for me because I find them to be by far the most comfortable and convenient, it saves me money, and it's more environmentally friendly, in that order.

Btw, the case was purely for protective reasons, those OBs tended to lose their wrapper if left to roll around loose in my purse.

I had one of those I kept in my glove compartment of my car. Once when I was crossing the border into Canada my car was searched by an older gentlemen. He picked the little case up opened it and asked my boyfriend what it was , when he told him they were tampons, he threw them back in the glove compartment slammed it shut and said the search was over.

Another fail in that article is when they say that tampons are somehow taboo for prepubescent girls......well, no kidding. Apparently the author is not clear on the meaning of "prepubescent".

My mom is obsessive too. Took me a while to shake her neuroses about it!

But yes, those things are bad news. Vaginal odor goes through a cycle just like everything else in our bodies, and may be stronger at certain times of month, but it should always have its own healthy scent. Being familiar with it means that you will know right away if something is seriously off. If it is off, that means it's time to go the GYN, NOT cover it up. Perfumes, sprays, suppositories, and all that other stuff will also dry you out, throw your ph out of whack, and could make you more vulnerable to irritations and infections (not just STIs). Moreover, if you already have an infection of which you are unaware, douching can force it further into your body.

I can't even use soap without irritation, but one thing that works great is mixing water with a little baking soda and just using it on the outside. Your should NEVER put soap in the vaginal canal.

Lastly, remember, your own scent will always smell stronger to you than someone else, especially if you're focusing on it!

You know-thats something I hadn't thought of.I've never gotten familiar with my own scent, so if I smell ANYTHING that isn't product I douche and perfume.DH hates it...but I grew up believing it was necessary.I'm gonna try and lay off the products for awhile, because I do have an issue with dryness and uti's.

I wonder what the author of the article standpoint is on continuous birth control. You get 4 or less periods a year. You are not interacting with your fluids at all when you doing have a period.

They would have done better to attack the companies and advertising folks who tell us/make money off of "feminine hygiene" washes/sprays/douches that have no real use (and in some cases can harm) while sending the message that women parts are somehow naturally smelly and need deodorizing with special products.

So much this!

I hate them with a passion. They feel icky going in, and sweet baby jeebus, the pain of pulling out a dry one! No thank you. I also really, really hate pads.

For those who've had bad luck with the Diva Cup, I recommend trying a different brand if you're still interested in a cup. I used the Diva for several years, and then when it was time to replace it I ordered a Moon Cup and a Lunette. I've only tried the Moon so far, but I like it so much better than the Diva. It's not as deep and it has never felt uncomfortable like the Diva would every once in awhile. The Lunette looks to be the smallest, so I'm sure it'll be just fine as well. And I always trim off the stems completely because I find them to be more of a nuisance than anything.

I personally don't give a rat's patoot what other women use. Cups work best for me because I find them to be by far the most comfortable and convenient, it saves me money, and it's more environmentally friendly, in that order.

I might try a Diva cup. Although I would love the convenience of a tampon, they are uncomfortable to me. Other women have told me that they don't notice the tampon so I must be weird. Now I don't douche. Honestly, I don't think I have any noticeable smell. I shower and use soap but I worry about my armpits smelling more than my vagina.

When I was younger, I douched but so did a lot of people. Once I entered college, I learned that women shouldn't douche. I think it was my female biology professor that taught us that.

But...but... I always thought it was pads that were forced upon us by the evil patriarchy, because tampons "break girls' hymens" and "nothing else allowed in there except for the almighty penis" and all kinds of xtian calvinist hooha about how a period should be all about suffering, and not ease and comfort. Well, now I'm officialy confused.

I remember a comedienne saying something to the effect of "It's not supposed to smell like spring rain or wildflowers, it's supposed to smell like pussy!" I know, crude, but she was right.

I have to ask this because they were before my time--what was with those old strawberry douches I used to see as a kid? Why strawberry? Confuses me to this day.

I'm pretty sure that was a Margaret Cho bit.

Now that I've finally come to the end of 2+ pregnancy- and nursing-induced years of no periods (boo!), I just bought a DivaCup (yay!). Is it wrong to actually sort of be looking forward to my next period so I can try the thing out?

I have never douched and have no idea what a douche is, is this where the US term douchebag comes from?

I have seen sprays in the chemist but it would never occur to me to use them. No smell down there at all. I shower every day sometimes twice if it is hot. I tend to have a quick wash after sex due to fallout :lol:

I can't imagine why you would smell down there unless you are incontinent or your hygiene is lacking. Sweat sure if left long enough and inadequate wiping. But secretions are generally not malodorous unless they hit the air and stay there for a while. Hence having a wee wash if using pads. Changing underwear more frequently at certain times of the month.

I've catheterised a few hundred women in my time and can honestly say the only smell would be due to bad hygiene, trust me you have to get up and pretty personal at times.

As far back as the '50s, our friendly family ob-gyn told all his patients that the ladybits are a self-cleaning entity, and shouldn't be interfered with via douches and such.

I do have some Massengill's in the linen closet, but it's there for deodorization purposes should my dog get skunked.

This is not to try to discourage anyone from trying the diva cup, because I know a lot of women swear by it, but this was my experience: it was sold to me as being cleaner, easier, and more comfortable than pads. Instead, it was awkward and messy to put in, I could feel it while it was inserted, and it was awkward, messy, and painful to take out. I was really excited about the idea before I used it, so I was disappointed when it didn't work out. I got lots of advice on how to make it work, but I was not willing to commit to spending so much time and effort getting it right when pads, for me, were faster, easier, cleaner, and more comfortable.

I'm sharing my experience because when I was researching the cup all I saw were glowing reviews, and I think it's important to share the negative side as well. I'm thrilled that the cup works for so many women, but I'm thrilled for myself that pads work so well for me. ;)

I can't imagine why you would smell down there unless you are incontinent or your hygiene is lacking. Sweat sure if left long enough and inadequate wiping.

Well, not to give too much TMI, but at certain times of the month it can get a little strong. Whatever, I just take an extra shower.

As far as flushing tampons goes, just because it doesn't clog your pipes still doesn't mean you should do it. It all goes into the sewers, and clogs up the sewers further along, and then some poor peon has to go and unclog them manually. This costs municipal governments every single year, and there's no need for it when you can throw them out instead. (But if you have a cat, seriously, make sure you have a covered waste paper basket. Cats think they're fun toys!)

I've catheterised a few hundred women in my time and can honestly say the only smell would be due to bad hygiene, trust me you have to get up and pretty personal at times.

Even clean bodies have a natural scent. It's when the scent is malodorous that there's a problem. A woman should not smell like yeast, fish or rancid sweat. Those indicate infections or hygiene issues. A natural smell is not stinky and it's almost never strong enough for anyone else to notice (unless their face is in that general vicinity).

This is not to try to discourage anyone from trying the diva cup, because I know a lot of women swear by it, but this was my experience: it was sold to me as being cleaner, easier, and more comfortable than pads. Instead, it was awkward and messy to put in, I could feel it while it was inserted, and it was awkward, messy, and painful to take out. I was really excited about the idea before I used it, so I was disappointed when it didn't work out. I got lots of advice on how to make it work, but I was not willing to commit to spending so much time and effort getting it right when pads, for me, were faster, easier, cleaner, and more comfortable.

I'm sharing my experience because when I was researching the cup all I saw were glowing reviews, and I think it's important to share the negative side as well. I'm thrilled that the cup works for so many women, but I'm thrilled for myself that pads work so well for me. ;)

Yeah, one of the (huge) downsides to cups is they have a step learning curve. Personally, I encourage people who didn't like the diva cup to try one of the UK brands. The diva cup is one of the largest one and can be awkward. Others (like the Lunette) are smaller and have softer silicone.

I've used the diva cup for years (before the company changed ever so slightly how it was made), and yowza, the first time I tried it, it was BAD. But now I can insert and remove it with one hand and I'll never use anything else unless necessary :-D.

Well, not to give too much TMI, but at certain times of the month it can get a little strong. Whatever, I just take an extra shower.

As far as flushing tampons goes, just because it doesn't clog your pipes still doesn't mean you should do it. It all goes into the sewers, and clogs up the sewers further along, and then some poor peon has to go and unclog them manually. This costs municipal governments every single year, and there's no need for it when you can throw them out instead. (But if you have a cat, seriously, make sure you have a covered waste paper basket. Cats think they're fun toys!)

:lol: At the cat thing. Agree about sewage. Not so sure the tampons break down the same as say the toilet roll or tampons.

Archived