IGNORED

Men and women in political sex scandals

turquoise

Anthony Wiener resigned from Congress for sexting, and is now running for mayor of New York City. Eliot Spitzer resigned as governor of New York because of a prostitution scandal, but is now running for comptroller of New York City. Mark Sanford resigned as South Carolina governor after trying to cover up an extramarital affair with a laughable story about "hiking the Appalachian Trail," and was actually elected to Congress.

Even if you were to overlook their lies to their families (which I don't) these men showed amazingly bad judgment. Why would anyone think they are qualified to hold public office again? But there are plenty of articles talking about these politicians and their "quest for redemption."

Remember all the jokes about Monica Lewinsky? Does anyone think she would be taken seriously if she applied for a high-profile job or ran for public office? Could she be "redeemed?"

What are the odds a woman could do these kinds of things and ever be taken seriously as a political candidate again?

To be honest we are not sure. Monica Lewinsky was never in a position of power in the first place, but the scandal forced her to leave the United States and head for the UK, where I hear she has a degree there now.

I really don't know what will happen to a high profile woman involved in a sex scandal until we see it.

Archived