IGNORED

Lady Lydia's 4th of July Parade

nelliebelle1197

Okay, old timers, tell me the truth. Is Lydia serious? Her holiday celebration leaves me scared and confused.

Today I am staying home and members of my family are providing our traditional home-parade, where we dress up in colonial clothing, march across the lawn with our flags and hats, fiddles and flutes. I plan to ride my tricycle (an adult sized one). After the parade, which we will film, as usual, there is an out-door buffet and dining area set up for our cold lunch, consisting of southern fried chicken, rolls, coleslaw, tomato-cucumber salad in olive oil and vinegar, dill dressing, and a watermellon lemonade punch from a recipe in Southern Living magazine.

Like last year, we will hear political, '"train-stop" speeches, using my front porch as the railings on the back of the train, as the podium, in order to imitate the political tours of candidates of the 1800's. This year there will be a presidential candidate speaking at the train stop, a speech from a woman about women's rights (it is not what you may think) and a message from an air force veteran who lives nearby.

Okay, old timers, tell me the truth. Is Lydia serious? Her holiday celebration leaves me scared and confused.

Not the kind of thing I would enjoy, but I give her credit for an imaginative "historical" celebration (sounds like it's out of the pages of Little House on the Prairie to me.) Mr. Womb and I went out to breakfast, ran errands, took a nap, and will stay in tonight to keep the dog calm during fireworks, so she certainly beats me in the area of holiday festivities.

It's hard to believe that anyone else would be interested/willing to engage in this type of fun, but it seems like one of the least harmless things she does.

We celebrated July 4th by listening to a lot of Paul Simon (my favorite American songwriter) and watching The Fugitive (great American acting). That's as patriotic as I can muster right now.

Lydia's "celebration" is the kind of thing I might have done when my kids were toddlers and preschoolers in lieu of fighting crowds at a big celebration. Not something I'd do with other adults.

ETA: I think adult tricycles are cool, actually. A nun friend of ours has used one for years to ride to the grocery and such because she chooses not to have the expense and hassle of a car. After a bad wreck a few years ago I am now completely terrified of getting on a bicycle, but I'd happily ride an adult tricycle around our neighborhood for exercise if I had somewhere to store it.

Nun on a trike? I love the visual!

Nun on a trike? I love the visual!

It suits her PERFECTLY. She is one of the most unique (and wonderful) people I've ever known.

We celebrated July 4th by listening to a lot of Paul Simon (my favorite American songwriter) and watching The Fugitive (great American acting). That's as patriotic as I can muster right now.

Lydia's "celebration" is the kind of thing I might have done when my kids were toddlers and preschoolers in lieu of fighting crowds at a big celebration. Not something I'd do with other adults.

ETA: I think adult tricycles are cool, actually. A nun friend of ours has used one for years to ride to the grocery and such because she chooses not to have the expense and hassle of a car. After a bad wreck a few years ago I am now completely terrified of getting on a bicycle, but I'd happily ride an adult tricycle around our neighborhood for exercise if I had somewhere to store it.

I hear you on that! We had my stepson today so I would have felt bad if we didn't plan a fun day out for him with fireworks. But otherwise, I would have stayed home, closed my blinds, and maybe - MAYBE - baked an apple pie.

I'm still able to ride a regular bike but when the day comes I can't I'll be getting an adult trike. We have a WWII vet here who rides his daily. This is a man who fought in the Pacific and is highly decorated.

Today, as Americans celebrate the 237th year since we declared our independence from the tyranny which once held our country in it's clutches.

237 years Get over it. :lol:

LOL. 'MURRICA!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEVER!!!! :lol: :lol:

Do the neighbors join in this parade or is it just Lady Lydia and family marching around and standing on the porch giving speeches?

LOL. 'MURRICA!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel all guilty and tyranty. Can you all be my minions now? Bottom!

225.5 years (I asked WolframAlpha), still doing fine with that good old tyranny.

People seem to skip over the Louisiana purchase, to me it seems really important too. Don't get me wrong, i'm proud that my (weirdly named) ancestors fought against Britain to form such a great nation. But it just seems strange, there would have been so many implications if France had held on to the midwest.

I am picturing a group of people dressed in old fashioned costumes (with powdered wigs and funny hats of course) tromping (doing funny walks of course) around in the backyard (in the fog of course). If I was a neighbour I would set up a lawn chair (with a refreshing adult beverage of course) to watch the spectacle and may be post a video of the whole affair on youtube.

It is " ...tyranny which once held our country in its clutches" NOT "... tyranny which once held our country in it is clutches"

Sorry rant over but people who don't know how to use its drive me crazy. :angry-banghead:

To me the funniest part is the colonials doing their fake political speeches on the back of a 19th century invention. I do hope she posts a video.

I'd like to hear her speech about "women's rights" since it is not what we think. And here I thought she had morphed into a bra-burning feminist :?

You know her "colonial" costume is made out of some hideous super cheap fabric from Walmart. Between this and her fog teas, I bet she keeps the neighbors entertained.

But if there are no pictures and this yearly event has never been mentioned on her blog before, then I am leaning towards this only happened in her head.

What did she mean by presidential Canidate? Was someone going dress up as a president from years ago & say a speech.

If I was a neighbor who didn't know her, I would think it was supposed to be a joke.

She's serious, unfortunately. I would dearly love to be a fly on the wall for one of these affairs, especially at her neighbors house!

Archived