IGNORED

BBot's Professionalism for Composers

Deleted12

In the field of film scoring, as in all fields, raw talent or ability is entirely worthless if it is unaccompanied by professional integrity.

Too often I see talented and skilled students of composition who sabotage their own efforts and success because when the first whiff of difficulty comes, they wimp out. They whine. They lie, slander, throw tantrums and run from responsibility, pulling the rug out from under someone else on their cowardly dash out the door and out of the trust of the professional community. Some display their poor character more obviously than others, but the problem is widespread.

For a director, the ability to work well with and trust your composer is so key that many of the more successful composers I know are not the ones who write the best music or ooze the most raw talent… they’re the ones who are quick to hear, slow to speak, willing to summit to authority, redo a tough cue, who are prepared to do what it takes to give a client happiness, even if it comes at the expense of their own. Inside and outside the film industry I have friends who have been offered high-paying jobs at positions totally outside their fields of expertise based solely on the reputation they had as confidential men of character. In this day and age, integrity is in lesser supply than skill, which is saying something.

For a culture that has rejected Christ’s word as the foundation (i.e. source of definition) for all morality and character, this isn’t really much of a surprise–the absence of God must necessitate the absence of anything godly, which the attributes of professionalism most certainly are. The pathetic result is a generation of men unable to reliably reason, commit, honor a contract, persevere, guard a trust, serve others, be faithful with the little things, rejoice in trial, or love.

To clarify in advance for those who may think I’m belittling talent or skill, I’m assuming that honing and sharpening your chops as a composer is already a given. I mean to address the other half of the coin: the oft-neglected and/or mis-defined role of true professionalism, which is not just a factor for those desiring business success (though it certainly is), but is a factor necessary for the Lord to be pleased with us and our work. I don’t really make much of a distinction between the word “professional†and “righteousnessâ€, which is basically just doing what is right in regards to God, man and duty all the time. Why is there a difference perceived between the two? Why should there be a difference?

It’s time to re-evaluate our assumptions of what determines professional conduct. This has been on my mind a lot over the last few months as I’ve noticed a number of genuinely unprofessional attitudes and habits in myself that I’m working to eliminate. I will be starting a series of posts on this topic, varying from general concepts to ones specifically applicable to the craft and business of film scoring.

What things do my readers see as key points to address?

http://www.benbotkin.com/

Oh, where in his short and not illustrious career has he had the chance to observe all this first hand? I notice that he is unable to flesh out his general statements with any concrete examples, even anonymous examples.

Well! Since he's written the music for his father's documentary and some dinky Christian film nobody's ever heard of (a job his father probably got him), he's definitely an expert on the subject. He should probably sell this valuable advice rather than giving it away for free.

For a director, the ability to work well with and trust your composer is so key that many of the more successful composers I know are not the ones who write the best music or ooze the most raw talent… they’re the ones who are quick to hear, slow to speak, willing to summit to authority, redo a tough cue, who are prepared to do what it takes to give a client happiness, even if it comes at the expense of their own. Inside and outside the film industry I have friends who have been offered high-paying jobs at positions totally outside their fields of expertise based solely on the reputation they had as confidential men of character. In this day and age, integrity is in lesser supply than skill, which is saying something.

For a culture that has rejected Christ’s word as the foundation (i.e. source of definition) for all morality and character, this isn’t really much of a surprise–the absence of God must necessitate the absence of anything godly, which the attributes of professionalism most certainly are. The pathetic result is a generation of men unable to reliably reason, commit, honor a contract, persevere, guard a trust, serve others, be faithful with the little things, rejoice in trial, or love.

http://www.benbotkin.com/

Typical, making everything come back to religion.

I've known lots of people who stink on ice at working with others, and lots who are great team players.

Both groups contain people who are brilliantly talented and others who are less so. Both groups contain people of various levels of religious belief.

Working well with others is a skill to be honed, based on a good attitude. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being a Botkin-approved fundy.

But then, why am I telling all of you this? You know -- Ben doesn't.

I believe that being a good person, a good worker, personable, etc. is very important in the workforce.

HOWEVER, if you are, say, a f-ing brilliant film composer, people are going to want your work, even if you suck as a person. If you're amazing enough, people will put up with your crap. That isn't necessarily a good thing, but I've seen it in different areas of life.

Ideally people would be both brilliant and have integrity and people skills. But covering up your lack of real talent by saying "Well, at least I have a good work ethic" means...you have a good work ethic, not that you're a better composer.

I think B-bot sucks as a composer. I had friends in undergrad who were composers, and some of them were amazing. But you know, they studied theory and composition, and they didn't all write "weird" avant-garde stuff--one of my friends, in particular, wrote really beautiful music that was both pleasant to listen to and technically interesting. B-bot's music lacks depth, to me, and relies too much on electronic strings. It all sounds the same--the sweeping, heroic style of music that's supposed to make you feel awed. I just find it cliche. It doesn't challenge me or draw me in at all--it's just fluff.

(Not that there's anything wrong with avant-garde stuff, just I know the Botkins wouldn't like it or consider it real music)

B-bot sounds to me like he spends too much time messing with computer programs, and not enough time studying the basics of theory and harmony and composition--but what do I know? I "only" have a Bachelor of Music degree, plus a graduate degree in a related field, AND I'm working on a PhD.

"This has been on my mind a lot over the last few months as I’ve noticed a number of genuinely unprofessional attitudes and habits in myself that I’m working to eliminate."

Attitudes like, for example, snootiness? A holier-than-thou attitude? Comments like this one from your blog??:

"I mean, the director would ask me to compose this big romantic swell when the teen lead gawks at the modern, domineering, and feministic love interest. The problems with that image run several layers deep."

Give us all a break, Ben.

In the field of film scoring, as in all fields, raw talent or ability is entirely worthless if it is unaccompanied by professional integrity.

In the field of film scoring, as in all fields, professional integrity is entirely worthless if it is unaccompanied by raw talent or ability.

His disclaimer makes me giggle:

Disclaimer:

None of the films I mention on this blog are recommended for viewing in full or perhaps even for closer study. They are chosen for the purpose of instruction, to illustrate a specific principle, and do not have my full endorsement because of many erroneous theological and aesthetic elements.

all content copyright 2011

Sooooooo....I guess I should not take any time out of my day to view the Western he's pimping on the front page?

His disclaimer makes me giggle:

Disclaimer:

None of the films I mention on this blog are recommended for viewing in full or perhaps even for closer study. They are chosen for the purpose of instruction, to illustrate a specific principle, and do not have my full endorsement because of many erroneous theological and aesthetic elements.

all content copyright 2011

Sooooooo....I guess I should not take any time out of my day to view the Western he's pimping on the front page?

Oh, you're not alone in finding lulz there.

The thing that galls me is the rank hypocrisy. "I saw these worldly movies and they were all just terrible and I'm about to tell you why."

It reminds me of "How Twilight is Re-Vamping Romance."

http://visionarydaughters.com/2009/11/h ... ng-romance

"We read the whole Twilight series and we thought it was just terrible and it's just an awful example for young girls to read about a character as hot as Edward without him even being real."

Guest Anonymous

This is just so much bloviating. He's hoping that none of us will notice that nobody is falling over themselves in their haste to hire him to score their next epic. And if someone was clueless/tasteless/masochistic enough to consider him he'd drop his highfalutin' principles like a live grenade.

I think that it goes without saying that composers should be professional, though talent is undoubtedly important as well. The thing is, you don't have to be a Christian to be hardworking and professional. Ben's blog entry reminded me of something that Lewis, the Free Jingerite who blogs at The Commandments of Men, wrote; as a musician, Lewis has worked with Christian and secular artists, and he's said that it's usually been the Christian artists who have been rude, greedy, and egotistical. What's that all about?

As to Ben's talent as a composer, I think he's pretty decent at this point in his life. There's definitely talent there, but I agree that his compositions are kind of cliche and overly dramatic. It kind of seems like he's trying too hard to emulate John Williams and Howard Shore. I really like the cello piece he did with Audri, though.

GBot doesn't have an IMDB listing, does he?

'Cause someone who has worked on THOUSANDS of movies and TV shows should be well-represented on there.

I'm not entirely sure why a film's director would need to "trust" the composer beyond that the latter will work to deadline and produce a decent score.

I'm not entirely sure why a film's director would need to "trust" the composer beyond that the latter will work to deadline and produce a decent score.

Well, you know, the composer might put in some Satanic messages -- tritones and such -- or bluesy sex music.

:shock:

We need a pearl-clutching smiley.

"This has been on my mind a lot over the last few months as I’ve noticed a number of genuinely unprofessional attitudes and habits in myself that I’m working to eliminate."

Attitudes like, for example, snootiness? A holier-than-thou attitude? Comments like this one from your blog??:

"I mean, the director would ask me to compose this big romantic swell when the teen lead gawks at the modern, domineering, and feministic love interest. The problems with that image run several layers deep."

Give us all a break, Ben.

He said, "big romantic swell!". * heh, heh, heh-imagine Beavis & Butthead :lol:

I can just imagine Dougie in his swashbuckler costume hands on his hips posing with an attempt at rakishness declaring, "I've got a big romantic swell for you!"

Ok, I should really do something else. Feeling weird now. :(

Archived