IGNORED

Growing Lettuce

Maggie Mae

How big of pots do I need? Last year I was able to transplant by now, but we still have 12 inches of snow and I think they are out growing the 4 inch pots I stuck them in temporarily after the starter dixie cups. I have black seeded simpson, romaine, and grand rapids. They also all look the same right now, all bigger than the pots, not nice and neat like it does when it grows outside.

I've grown lettuce in window boxes specifically to be picked as baby lettuce- I would just snip off the outermost leaves as I needed them. I imagine the same sort of trimming could be done to your transplants. Baby lettuce is very sweet and tender.

If you have any old windows, you could build a cold frame to transfer them into until it warms up, but that sounds like a lot of work for lettuce transplants. Good luck with strange weather the country is having!

I would go with 8 or 12 inch pots for each head. This may also be under the category of PIA, but if you have some plywood and a drill you can build 12 across boxes and cut drainage holes in them. Stick them on shallow trays.

Thanks!

I did put them in 8 inch pots, which I had on hand, and I was right that they were too big for the four inchers. I can't believe how fast stuff grows up here, I know it's the 16 hours of light right now, but it's still insane.

AreteJo, I was actually thinking of doing something similar - do you have a suggestion on how deep I should make the box?

Thank yoU!

Lettuces are have shallow roots, so really about a 6 inch depth should be sufficient to keep them happy. Save the Salad. :D

Archived