IGNORED

Teacher removes kid's tatto with Magic Eraser and GermX

RosyDaisy

http://www.wafb.com/story/22067204/mother-teacher-tried-to-removal-temporary-tattoo-with-cleaning-pad

:serious:

The kid now has a chemical burn on his face! This is child abuse. Nobody even bothered to call the kid's parents. And the teacher either lacked the common sense to know that soap and water or baby oil removes temporary tattoos or was sadistic or both! :angry-banghead: :obscene-birdiered: :angry-screaming: :angry-fire:

Poor little boy! If he is anything like my preschooler then he was probably super proud of that fake tattoo and felt great wearing it. I can just see him bouncing in the door, all proud,only to have it scrubbed forcibly off his face. Shameful. My kids would be out of that school also, and I'd contact every other parent in it.

Holy shit! Who the hell would think to do that?! She needs to be banned from being a teacher.

Is it legal ?

To chemically burn a child's face? Hell no. Whether they arrest her ass like they should is another question entirely.

Did anyone else catch that below the main sign it said "Teacher's With Heart." All I could think is the teacher who did this has no heart and no brain. I'm so glad that my sons preschool teacher has brains and wouldn't do something this incredibly stupid. I mean who in their right mind thinks temporary tattoo oh let me grab a magic eraser and get that off.

While the teacher was pretty stupid to use a Magic Eraser and it's not clear why s/he felt the need to remove the tattoo, the fact is that it wasn't a chemical burn. Magic Erasers are actually made of a special type of foam that on a microstructural level is very similar to a fine sandpaper. It removes stains (and fridge surfaces!) by essentially sandpapering them away. The child has a friction burn. It's not any better really than a chemical burn but my guess is that the teacher didn't realize what s/he was doing. The warning label only says not to ingest (and that's because you can get a mechanical bowel obstruction by eating any sponge). Any rumors of formaldehyde have been disproved (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp). I'm thinking general idiocy rather than planned harm but I'd be pissed if it was my kid.

I want to know more. There are cases like this where the parents make his stuff up, either to avid abuse charges, make money from a lawsuit or hurt the school. The school isn't talking for legal reasons. They need to figure out what really happened.

I've worked at schools where parents did this.

And the NRA wants to arm teachers?

Teacher bashing much? Seriously, the vast majority of teachers wouldn't take the pay and abuse they get if they didn't want to teach. Also the vast majority do not want to be armed. Why the hell would we want a weapon in our classrooms?

Teach for a while before you label all teachers with the lazy, stupid brush that is so popular to do right now.

That 'teacher' would need to have the speed of Usain Bolt to get away from me. :x Holy hell what is wrong with people? What bloody harm is a temporary tattoo going to do anyone? None. Stupid twunt 'teacher.'

And clearly? No good comes from anything with the initials TLC (the 'school' in the article).

Poor little boy! If he is anything like my preschooler then he was probably super proud of that fake tattoo and felt great wearing it. I can just see him bouncing in the door, all proud,only to have it scrubbed forcibly off his face. Shameful. My kids would be out of that school also, and I'd contact every other parent in it.

My son is the same way. He loves his Thomas "tattoos". My child definitely would not be returning to that school and my lawyer would also be in contact with them.

I'm wondering why no one at the school questioned the kid's face. Another teacher, the office staff, the bus driver, every adult at the school is a mandated reporter. A child that young with that kind of wound on his face, the school should have acted to find out how he came to have it before they ever sent him home (in case he got it at home).

My God, what is wrong with people? If that were my child I'd be posting from jail right now. A little baby oil will usually take a temp tattoo right off. There is no need to use freaking cleaning supplies on a child's face.

Thing is, there's no reason it had to happen in the first place. It's a temporary tattoo. It causes no harm to anyone. And if it truly was such a horrible problem, why was there no call to the parents? The tattoo could have stayed, and a call or note home to the parents would have constituted sufficient action on the part of the school. That teacher committed assault, in my opinion, and I hope the parents seek a charge against the 'teacher' regarding such.

At the very least, the school should be covering any medical bills that arise out of this. On top of that, I'd like to see that 'teacher' get the heave ho but I doubt that will happen.

I'm wondering why no one at the school questioned the kid's face. Another teacher, the office staff, the bus driver, every adult at the school is a mandated reporter. A child that young with that kind of wound on his face, the school should have acted to find out how he came to have it before they ever sent him home (in case he got it at home).

No kidding.

I'm thinking general idiocy rather than planned harm but I'd be pissed if it was my kid.

This is what I'm thinking too. Maybe she thought it was a regular sponge, or did not understand what a magic eraser is? Though that may be stretching it, or wishful thinking since no one wants to think a childcare provider would intentionally hurt a child like that. But yeah, I'd be pissed regardless. I'm also wondering what the full story is, since there isn't a lot of info and the daycare is keeping quiet.

I once had to stop my husband from cleaning up our first niece (who came years before we had our own child) with a Clorox wipe after a messy meal while we were babysitting. He was about to scrub her face and hands with it. He honestly did not get that there was a huge difference between Clorox wipes and baby wipes, to which I still shake my head over since he is a considerably bright person.

Archived