IGNORED

French senate votes to legalise gay marriage

samurai_sarah

Well, the subject-line really says it all. The French senate voted for gay marriage, and also for gay adoption rights. But don't break out the confetti just yet, the law still requires a vote in the lower house. According to the BBC some 55%-60% of French people are for marriage equality, and 50% are for adoption rights. Among the reasons for objecting is the usual "but...but...it will destabilize a fundamental building block of society" i.e.: the family. As usual that completely ignores the reality of families with gay parents, who don't get the legal recognition and protection afforded to families with heterosexual parents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22126437 (not breaking, because it's the beeb)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for marriage equality on this side of the channel, and will keep the confetti and cake ready! Hopefully France won't disappoint, and live up to the "égalité" part of "liberté, égalité, fraternité". :)

(All misspellings are mine, and I apologize for any wrongly placed accents. Sorry about possibly butchering your language.)

Your accents are perfect :handgestures-thumbup:

I am so relieved the senate finally vote the law... We're having massive demos against this law since the beginning of the year, it's time to finally move on...

I'm sure the law will pass at "assemblée nationale" !

I am so relieved the senate finally vote the law... We're having massive demos against this law since the beginning of the year, it's time to finally move on...

Honestly, I'm really surprised by the demos. France may be mostly nominally Catholic but its public life is so secular and well, liberal. The demos don't seem to be about religion at all. Could you explain why there seems to be such a vocal anti-equality population? I always thought France would be really gay-friendly, but maybe they're just French and not camp :lol:

Phew, what a relief. French spelling has never been my strongest suit. ;) But I am so relieved that France is going that way. Yay!!!

Yay! So pleased, I thought it looked

a bit touch and go for a while :mrgreen::-D:mrgreen::-D:mrgreen:

Honestly, I'm really surprised by the demos. France may be mostly nominally Catholic but its public life is so secular and well, liberal. The demos don't seem to be about religion at all. Could you explain why there seems to be such a vocal anti-equality population? I always thought France would be really gay-friendly, but maybe they're just French and not camp :lol:

Well the public life and the education is secular BUT there is still a strong religious background. Moreover as this law is being passed by a left-wing government (right-wing never wanted ... ) that add to their problem. AND we are and aging society and on social issues WAY LESS liberal than UK or even the US! People are disturbed by the adoption or the idea of surrogacy (which is not in the law).

It depends on the area, the background : I'm from an left-wing educated and secular background, I grew up reading Harry Potter, and in my class (selective special classes at universitylevel to prepare a competitive exam) (most people) EVERYONE is 100% gay-friendly and were at the equality demos. :gay-rainbowflag: On the other hand girls I went to school with (= secular school) who have a religious background ( Church on Sunday ) told me when we were 11 that gay was sth horrible, not natural, that if their son were gay they wouldn't want him to bear their name. Those are educated young ladies, from a wealthier background than mine.

In short as in any country it depends on the background, on the cities , on the education . Most of the younger ones who went to the Republic's school are pro-equality. A bunch of other people are against because they truly believe that their personnal conviction should rule other people's life. If you are lucky you'll meet lots of gay-friendly French. If you are not ... BEWARE!

Even more than strongly religious background, the French do place a big emphasis on tradition! Strange that gay marriage has had such an uproar there, given the existence of PACS.

En tout cas, this lesbian French teacher is crossing her fingers for good results all around!

Archived