IGNORED

Women allergic to hubby's sperm

gustava

“There was a small amount of swelling, but compared to previous times, it was much less,â€

That's what she said. :lol:

This happened to a friend of mine from high school. They ended up divorced, although her cheating on him probably had more to do with that than the sperm allergy.

I'd imagine it happens at the same frequency as non-fundies, just that they discover it after marriage instead of before.

Yes, but how often do non-fundie women end up married to the person whose sperm they are allergic to, considering that the majority of non-fundie women will discover that before getting to the point of marriage? I think it's reasonable that in a fairly new and not heavily committed relationship, that might be a deal breaker that would lead most couples to go their separate ways. But in a marriage or seriously committed relationship, there's more reason to try to fix the allergy rather than moving on.

I think that some people will also continue protected sex into marriage, especially if they remain non-monogamous (yes, I know established couples who use condoms - or withdrawal for that matter - as primary birth control, so they rarely have contact with semen). As well, some "rejection of husband's sperm" issues only manifest as an inability to conceive, instead of such acute symptoms as described above, so a woman may not notice until they've been together for ages.

It's more likely she's allergic to his semen, not his sperm. :oops:

It happens probably more than we realize. It is responsible for some forms of infertility. The treatment is to use a condom for several months, then hopefully for a few cycles they can try getting pregnant.

Why didn't they just use a condom if it was affecting their relationship so much? Are condoms still evil if they allow you to have an intimate relationship with your spouse?

Edited for riffles

Why didn't they just use a condom if it was affecting their relationship so much? Are condoms still evil if they allow you to have an intimate relationship with your spouse?

Edited for riffles

Depends who you ask. For the Catholics they still are...even if repeated exposure to the allergen can lead to anaphylaxis and death. In that case either the couple's just supposed to live like brother and sister (guess that means in squabbling misery), sexless until death do them part, or risk it until wifey croaks, freeing hubby to go find another virgin bride.

Depends who you ask. For the Catholics they still are...even if repeated exposure to the allergen can lead to anaphylaxis and death. In that case either the couple's just supposed to live like brother and sister (guess that means in squabbling misery), sexless until death do them part, or risk it until wifey croaks, freeing hubby to go find another virgin bride.

This is not true. First off few Catholics would ask their priest about this, they would just do it. Secondly, if a couple did ask they would be given permission given the circumstances.

This is not true. First off few Catholics would ask their priest about this, they would just do it. Secondly, if a couple did ask they would be given permission given the circumstances.

Well, judging by statistics in the US, that first part is definitely so. Most Catholics here would use a condom and say nothing. However, going strictly by Catholic rules which say all marital sex is to be both unitive and procrative, condoms would definitely be out under the 'not procreative' problem.

I read a rather interesting discussion about it while lurking on a Catholic board. All in all the responses seemed to conclude: 'We're very sorry, but no it's still not licit or allowed. Offer it up to God...and thank God it's not us."

Well, judging by statistics in the US, that first part is definitely so. Most Catholics here would use a condom and say nothing. However, going strictly by Catholic rules which say all marital sex is to be both unitive and procrative, condoms would definitely be out under the 'not procreative' problem.

I read a rather interesting discussion about it while lurking on a Catholic board. All in all the responses seemed to conclude: 'We're very sorry, but no it's still not licit or allowed. Offer it up to God...and thank God it's not us."

It would depend on the priest. The couple I knew, who wanted to get pregnant, were told they could use condoms. They used them for several months, then during her fertile time a few months later they didn't use them. She got pregnant. Their allergy manifested with her cervical mucus killing his sperm.

I taught in a Catholic School with a lady who had 12 siblings. She was either the oldest or the second oldest in the family. Her Mom continued to get pregnant and had several miscarriages after she had given birth to the 12 children (she had also had at least one stillborn baby in there, too). Anyhow, her Mom was at her wits end- Mom had another miscarriage and even with NFP she kept getting pregnant and miscarrying- the doctor finally determined she was ovulating twice a month, which is how she was getting pregnant even while using NFP. The doctor told her (Mom) he really needed to put her on birth control to regulate her ovulation. He said she shouldn't get pregnant again because it was so dangerous to her health. The Mom was totally freaked out because she was an old school by the book Catholic. The doctor told her the only way he could fix the ovulation problem and keep her healthy and alive to raise her 12 children was for her to go and talk to the priest about using birth control. So her daughter, who was 16 or 18 at the time, went with her to the priest and explained the problem. The priest told her by all means to follow the doctor's orders because her life was in danger. So, her Mom went on birth control and didn't get pregnant again.

Archived