IGNORED

Jobless mother-of-10 vows to keep having more babies

doggie

This is like the government dependent version of the duggers. instead of god and the church talking care of her it is the governments job. She wants them to even pay for fertility treatments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... efits.html

A jobless mother of ten has vowed to have another baby and boost her income after some of her benefits were cut.

Iona Heaton, 44, who rakes in tens of thousands of pounds a year in state handouts, is hoping to add to her burgeoning family with a baby girl and says she will demand fertility treatment on the NHS if she has any problems conceiving.

Miss Heaton, who had her eldest child when she was aged 19 and has never worked, made the decision after the family’s benefit bill of £30,000 was reduced.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is like the government dependent version of the duggers. instead of god and the church talking care of her it is the governments job. She wants them to even pay for fertility treatments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... efits.html

A jobless mother of ten has vowed to have another baby and boost her income after some of her benefits were cut.

Iona Heaton, 44, who rakes in tens of thousands of pounds a year in state handouts, is hoping to add to her burgeoning family with a baby girl and says she will demand fertility treatment on the NHS if she has any problems conceiving.

Miss Heaton, who had her eldest child when she was aged 19 and has never worked, made the decision after the family’s benefit bill of £30,000 was reduced.

Well, the dailymail is not known as a source of quality journalism - I wanted more information and searched for the woman's name on the guardian and there's not a single search result.

Well, the dailymail is not known as a source of quality journalism - I wanted more information and searched for the woman's name on the guardian and there's not a single search result.

I'm sceptical, too. I Googled her name and the only results were the Metro, the Sun, and the Lancashire Telegraph. I'm not familiar with the last one but the first two rank in the same ballpark as the Daily Fail. I searched the BBC and Independent and didn't get anything; even the Torygraph had nothing.

I'm sure this woman exists, but I'm sceptical about how truthful that article is. And if she did "demand" treatment on the NHS I doubt she'd get it, given the number of children she already has.

She;s also not saying that she wants another baby to secure benefits. She's just saying she wants another baby. Plus the husband works so they get in work benefits.

"Professional mum."

I don't know if you can call it a profession if you're not getting paid for it

I don't think it matters if she is "real" or not. There will always be a few system suckers. It doesn't mean that the vast majority of people aren't reasonable. And it doesn't mean that the ocassional case of bad behavior means that an entire system is wrong.

You could take any occupation /classification of people and find some who make questionable choices - if it is minimal there is no reason to make the entire group suffer for the actions of a few.

If she does have another baby I'm just very glad her wealthy western society will feed it, educate it, and give it healthcare. Would people rather her children were starving, sick and uneducated? Cause you can't pay for the needs if all those kids on an industrial worker's salary, and even if she worked it wouldn't cover her child care costs.

okay. Firstly, as other have said, it's the Daily Fail, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt to begin with.

Secondly, the largest chunk of her income is tax credits. Anyone in Britain on a low income can get them. *I* could get them if I bothered my arse to get round to it. It's got nothing to do with her "bleeding the state"; she's merely using what is available to many people.

Thirdly, the definition of her as "jobless" infuriates me. Housewife and mother (especially with 9 children) is a job. A full-time, difficult job. If both her and her partner never worked, then I'd find the whole thing less worth defending, but he does work. To put in there that she has never had a job is disrespectful to housewives everywhere. My grandmother never had a "proper" job; she was a mother and housewife all her life. Does that make her less of a person? Does someone need to be gainfully employed to be a valid member of society?

But nothing is easier than taking the example of unfortunate-looking people with bad priorities (because she does seem to have those, what with holidays and Christmas etc) and lots of children to say "look at this parasite, never worked in her life, 9 children, bleeding us dry." I'd like to see the author of that post have the "non-job" of mother of nine for a week.

/rant

Secondly, the largest chunk of her income is tax credits. Anyone in Britain on a low income can get them. *I* could get them if I bothered my arse to get round to it. It's got nothing to do with her "bleeding the state"; she's merely using what is available to many people.

I haven't read the entire article (because my computer is allergic to the Daily Fail ;) ), but I highly doubt she's on Jobseekers' Allowance if her partner works, because you just don't qualify if your partner makes over a certain threshold of money. She might be getting child benefits (but as you said that's mostly tax credits), but it's important to remember that the point of those is for the children, and I don't think anyone really thinks the children should be deprived because their mother may have made some bad choices.

It really irritates me that papers like the Daily Fail post this stuff. It's not an accident. They're deliberately feeding into the "strivers versus skivers" rhetoric that places people who can't find a job on the bottom of the ladder of society, reinforcing the notion that if someone is unemployed, it's because they want to be, not because the bankers screwed them over and no one's hiring inexperienced people. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Fail's motivation here was to dismantle the National Insurance system that has been in place for nearly seventy years (and, trust me, we REALLY don't want to go back to what it was like before then).

No one is calling her less of a person for being SAHM. It is just some women would never have this many children let alone use them for benefits or charity. She seems to have a baby hunger. And what woman is less for not wanting kids or for wanting a job? SAHM aren't the only busy people. You reap what you sew as this woman.

I'm very, very sceptical of the argument that people have kids to make money off the system. Child benefit really isn't that much, if you're planning on feeding the kid I don't think you'll have a profit left over once little one is weaned.

Also, super lovely irony... two weeks ago the Fail was howling in outrage at the failure of the government to give an extra tax break to stay at home mums. With their reasoning being, full time motherhood is a worthwhile job. I guess it's only full time mums with rich husbands who are worthwhile, the rest of 'em are worthless scum.

I haven't read the entire article (because my computer is allergic to the Daily Fail ;) ), but I highly doubt she's on Jobseekers' Allowance if her partner works, because you just don't qualify if your partner makes over a certain threshold of money. She might be getting child benefits (but as you said that's mostly tax credits), but it's important to remember that the point of those is for the children, and I don't think anyone really thinks the children should be deprived because their mother may have made some bad choices.

No jobseekers, because she isn't looking; she has a job. Child Tax Credits and child benefit, which anyone with children gets.

No one is calling her less of a person for being SAHM.

Really? Would you not feel belittled if you were referred to as "jobless" and having "never worked" "raking in" "handouts" when you are doing a perfectly legitimate job and receiving the same state benefits anyone with children receives? To have the snarky comment of "she said she was a "professional mum"", as if that is not a valid choice? I know I would..

Also note the clever DM manipulation into thinking she's only having the children for the benefits; she is only quoted as saying "‘The benefits help us to take care of our children and it doesn’t matter if the Government decides to cut ours, I am still going to try to have another.’" So even *if* they'd get less for their children, she'd want another one, because she likes being a mother and having children.

Nowhere did I say a woman is less for not wanting children or having them and wanting a job. I just find it deplorable that so often those are the only two socially acceptable options for women.

I'm very, very sceptical of the argument that people have kids to make money off the system. Child benefit really isn't that much, if you're planning on feeding the kid I don't think you'll have a profit left over once little one is weaned.

Yeah. £1879 a month is only £156 per person. they still have to pay rent ( granted, low rent because it's council housing, but not none) and bills and buy food and clothes for everyone with what's left over. As I said before, they seem to make some bad choices (giant TV, £1k on Christmas presents etc), but those are the same choices many other, smaller families on benefits make in Britain. It has nothing to do with their want for a big family.

Also, super lovely irony... two weeks ago the Fail was howling in outrage at the failure of the government to give an extra tax break to stay at home mums. With their reasoning being, full time motherhood is a worthwhile job. I guess it's only full time mums with rich husbands who are worthwhile, the rest of 'em are worthless scum.
Exactly. Only if you've given up your job in marketing because your husband's job in the City makes enough to allow you to look after Amadeus and Benedict full-time are you a valid SAHM. If you've never worked because you had children young, well, then you're just scum, aren't you.

No jobseekers, because she isn't looking; she has a job. Child Tax Credits and child benefit, which anyone with children gets.

That's my point. The one that gets people riled up is JSA, because "people are too lazy to go out and work", but there's no way you can accuse her of taking it because she doesn't qualify. All the other benefits are for hardworking people/families who simply don't make enough money (which isn't a surprise as minimum wage is barely enough to support one person on).

In my world, if you had over two kids, you would get taxed for each additional child.
Does that go for multiples and adopted kids too?

Being a mother isn't a job. I realize that is unpopular, but I never understood the importance of trying to make it a job or career. It just isn't. That is a value neutral statement, just because it isn't a job doesn't have any impact on its value.

But it just isn't.

... Thirdly, the definition of her as "jobless" infuriates me. Housewife and mother (especially with 9 children) is a job. A full-time, difficult job. ...

/rant

Agree that generalizations are unfair, though I pretty much consider Michelle Duggar a jobless housewife.

Being a mother isn't a job. I realize that is unpopular, but I never understood the importance of trying to make it a job or career. It just isn't. That is a value neutral statement, just because it isn't a job doesn't have any impact on its value.

But it just isn't.

Thank you for writing that !

This statement is not derogatory to SAHM, I have been one, I know how hard work it can be with several little kids at home...

But, when a SAHM with her kids in school all day (in France kids are in school from 8h30 to 4h30), with all the modern appliances we have in our homes nowadays, says she have the same load of work as I do, with 3 kids, a 4 days a week job, a part-time Uni training and maintaining my home and garden in a decent shape... it's infuriating me big time :angry-banghead:

But it just isn't.

what would you call it then? an occupation? because it is a way of spending one's time on things other than leisure. The OED definition for job is "1. a paid position of regular employment (which I agree it's not) 2. a task or piece of work (which is most certainly is)"

So I'm gonna go ahead and keep calling it a job.

Agree that generalizations are unfair, though I pretty much consider Michelle Duggar a jobless housewife.

I wouldn't even describe Michelle as a housewife as she seems to do f* all.

Being an at-home parent is a job - the worst paying one in the world, maybe - but it's a job (provided of course you're looking after children etc and not just hangin' out).

The Daily Fail likes to bring these stories to you once or twice a year to keep up the "welfare queen" myth and stir up the Mommy wars.

what would you call it then? an occupation? because it is a way of spending one's time on things other than leisure. The OED definition for job is "1. a paid position of regular employment (which I agree it's not) 2. a task or piece of work (which is most certainly is)"

So I'm gonna go ahead and keep calling it a job.

It isn't a task or a piece of work. That implies a limit. For instance, loading the dishwasher is a job. Dressing your kids is a job.

And you know what? All of us who work? The vast majority of those things we do too. So do we have two jobs?

I have worked and not worked and worked from home. And I was always a mother once I had a kid. My employment didn't change. I think it fits better in occupation than a job.

No one should have to talk up parenting, or redefine it so it seems better. Parenting on its own is totally fine and good and beneficial and all those wonderful things. But no one suddenly has a job just because they birth a kid. This woman is jobless. Being jobless isn't a value judgment to me. I don't take my judgment direction from the daily fail anyhow.

Archived