IGNORED

Black people on 19 kids and Counting...A First

nikegirl

I noticed that promos for Glee Live 3D were shown during the show, I wonder if the Duggar lovers are crying because the ebil gay concert movie was promoted during 19 kids and counting.

I noticed that promos for Glee Live 3D were shown during the show, I wonder if the Duggar lovers are crying because the ebil gay concert movie was promoted during 19 kids and countring.

Also playtex bras. With women models in their bras, some stroking the bras in a manner that really was kind of creepy. Mucho defrauding!

Also playtex bras. With women models in their bras, some stroking the bras in a manner that really was kind of creepy. Mucho defrauding!

Just saw the playtex commerical during the encore airing. A good amount of defrauding there.

I love how the kids were afraid of "robbers" in the city... nothing like teaching the kids that different is dangerous!

Hannie did win the day with her (almost snarky?) reply about the bears being dangerous too. (although I'm beginning to think the little 'uns are being fed ideas by TLC. They're just a little too cute sometimes.)

Seriously though, if I'm Justin's age and living under his circumstances, I'm liking the notion of moving to Queens when I grow up. Fast trains and ice cream trucks. Both as regular as clockwork.

I didn't like my ex-husband being called racial slurs either. Yes, the sundown laws are removed, but that doesn't change the attitudes of many people there. Hell, I live in the delta, and it can be just as bad, only the racism is colored with more patronizing attitudes. Less "no blacks" and more "infantilism of minorities because they can't take care of themselves."

Hell, we just had a girl forced to share valedictorian because she was black in McGeehee. Arkansas has serious racial issues.

PREACH. I'm from Arkansas, and I agree 100%.

It was interesting... Hannie and her ''was your mom afraid when you were on a swing?'' response when asked if Michelle ever worries when they were on that swing.In a teenager or adult that response and her tone of voice would have been very pointed IE. "I think that is a stupid question!"

I didn't like my ex-husband being called racial slurs either. Yes, the sundown laws are removed, but that doesn't change the attitudes of many people there. Hell, I live in the delta, and it can be just as bad, only the racism is colored with more patronizing attitudes. Less "no blacks" and more "infantilism of minorities because they can't take care of themselves."

Hell, we just had a girl forced to share valedictorian because she was black in McGeehee. Arkansas has serious racial issues.

WTH???

I did not watch the whole show, just the very beginning. But did anyone think that when Josie was crying hysterically and Michelle said in that fake voice "Josie we just love having you." (or something like that) while just kind of staring at her. That if the cameras weren't rolling and they weren't surrounded by people that Michelle would have handed her to somebody and told them to make her be quite. I just got the impression the Michelle was really annoyed with Josie and was trying to figure out the camera correct way to treat her. It seemed really forced, not a a natural reaction to caring for a obviously upset and overwhelmed baby.

Wait, guys. Don't you remember when they were in Little Rock and Boob was invited to a local church? Pretty sure it was a mostly black Baptist church. I seem to recall a few shots of Boob looking very, very uncomfortable and stiff. Maybe my brain is just embellishing it for my own entertainment, but I'm thinking they had gospel music and possibly dancing at the church.

I could go back and rewatch those episodes, but they were super boring and consisted mostly of torturing Josie in the NICU with those awful headbands and the howler monkeys tearing up that awesome house they were staying in.

ETA: Just saw maybeizfundie beat me to it. I'm glad I wasn't just fantasizing about this episode!

You don't know till you've been there. My Catholic cousin married a Jewish guy, and she told me she never realized how prevalent antisemitism still is--and they lived in New York City!--till she married a Jew.

Why, O why didn't Jordyn have shoes on when they took her into the city?

Well, since they can't seem to remember that she exists, it's not surprising that they don't remember to put shoes on her.

Or.

Jill was busy that day.

I did not watch the whole show, just the very beginning. But did anyone think that when Josie was crying hysterically and Michelle said in that fake voice "Josie we just love having you." (or something like that) while just kind of staring at her. That if the cameras weren't rolling and they weren't surrounded by people that Michelle would have handed her to somebody and told them to make her be quite. I just got the impression the Michelle was really annoyed with Josie and was trying to figure out the camera correct way to treat her. It seemed really forced, not a a natural reaction to caring for a obviously upset and overwhelmed baby.

I was unnerved by this too. Beating your children is awful, no matter what, but beating your premature child who has medical issues is worse. Something in her voice seemed snarky, resentful, almost threatening but maybe I'm reading too much into it. I also HATED when she explained that they had taught Josie to sign when she wanted more. It wasn't the signing, lots of people teach their kids that, whatever. It was when she added "So she won't scream" or "Instead of screaming to get what she wants" something like that. It just made me very nervous. I wondered if she had been given "correction" to learn it. And on top of that I don't think a little baby should have to be quiet when she's hungry or needs something. She's your responsibility you lazy bitch sorry if her needs get your way.

J'chelle was going on about keeping track of all those kids when they're out and about. I've got news for Mullet: schoolteachers do that all the damn time!

I was unnerved by this too. Beating your children is awful, no matter what, but beating your premature child who has medical issues is worse. Something in her voice seemed snarky, resentful, almost threatening but maybe I'm reading too much into it. I also HATED when she explained that they had taught Josie to sign when she wanted more. It wasn't the signing, lots of people teach their kids that, whatever. It was when she added "So she won't scream" or "Instead of screaming to get what she wants" something like that. It just made me very nervous. I wondered if she had been given "correction" to learn it. And on top of that I don't think a little baby should have to be quiet when she's hungry or needs something. She's your responsibility you lazy bitch sorry if her needs get your way.

I don't think it is just you. Something in the tone of her voice made it seem like she wanted to react a different way, but was holding herself back because of the camera. And if you notice, she didn't teach Josie, the older girls sat and did it. I swear she used the word "train" when she was talking about getting her to sign so that she wouldn't bother them.

I was unnerved by this too. Beating your children is awful, no matter what, but beating your premature child who has medical issues is worse. Something in her voice seemed snarky, resentful, almost threatening but maybe I'm reading too much into it. I also HATED when she explained that they had taught Josie to sign when she wanted more. It wasn't the signing, lots of people teach their kids that, whatever. It was when she added "So she won't scream" or "Instead of screaming to get what she wants" something like that. It just made me very nervous.

I had the same immediate, visceral reaction. I'm not sure if anyone's beating the poor little baby, but that was pure resentment in Michelle's tone when she "Oh, we just LOVE having you Josie". Almost as if the second part of the sentence would be "you bloody little nuisance!" And the "screaming" when she needs something. She's a baby, and a baby with challenges at that. When babies need something, they can only let you know by crying.

And then there's Jordyn in the episode with the Good Morning America guy. Broke my heart to see how desperate she was to try to get his attention. This is not the first time we've seen her clinging to complete strangers.

I grew up in the country, although in CA not AR. I can understand the excitement over the ice cream truck. It's not that I never got into town, but I never bought from an ice cream truck until I was an adult. When my kids were little, I think I was more excited than they were when the ice cream truck came around.

At the subway station, of course Jim Bob had to ask for a discount. As a former shop owner, it bothers me when people constantly ask for, and expect a discount. If I remember right from my NYC visit, if you put a certain amount of money on one of the cards you get extra.

I had the same immediate, visceral reaction. I'm not sure if anyone's beating the poor little baby, but that was pure resentment in Michelle's tone when she "Oh, we just LOVE having you Josie". Almost as if the second part of the sentence would be "you bloody little nuisance!" And the "screaming" when she needs something. She's a baby, and a baby with challenges at that. When babies need something, they can only let you know by crying.

And then there's Jordyn in the episode with the Good Morning America guy. Broke my heart to see how desperate she was to try to get his attention. This is not the first time we've seen her clinging to complete strangers.

and that's their own fault - they may be doing all the right things (we are after all, not there 24/7) but because they've used it at least in the past to "teach" the other kids, we will always have doubt and fear. But personnally I'd be as concerned that she does it on Josie as on the other kids...

I don't think it is just you. Something in the tone of her voice made it seem like she wanted to react a different way, but was holding herself back because of the camera. And if you notice, she didn't teach Josie, the older girls sat and did it. I swear she used the word "train" when she was talking about getting her to sign so that she wouldn't bother them.

I'm glad to see that others were troubled by Michelle's reaction to Josie's crying. I agree that she's probably have reacted in a different way had the cameras not been there. Premies, especially those who've been on ventilators, tend to have these abnormal high-pitched cries. Some experts think that this crying may be one of the factors behind the higher incidence of child abuse among premies. The problem, though, doesn't lie with Josie; it lies with the woman who gave birth to her. She's the freaking adult. She could learn that Josie isn't trying to manipulate her. Crying is just the way that babies communicate their needs and, as a premie, Josie is likely to be a high-need child.

I was thinking that Josie was reacting to her surroundings by crying and Michelle dropped the ball on that. Josie has to live with 20+ people but having 40-60 people is way to much for her. She also has been living most of her life in her parents bedroom and only recently brought out into the main part of the house where there is a ton of rooom for everyone can spread out. At the house/apartment they were guests at was of course was much smaller but filled with 3 times the amount of people. I would have been in tears too and someone needed to take Josie somewhere quiet to calm down and recover from that stress.

I was actually excited to see Michelle get frustrated with Josie. She's not perfect! I mean, I know Michelle isn't perfect, but that she would display this for the cameras means that even she's not ON all the time. And I get being frustrated with a little kid, particularly one who can't verbalize what they want, and talking to them with a slight edge to loving words. We're all human. It's the Pearls method of 'training' the child to longer make mom frustrated that I have a huge problem with.

Imagine those who were and are still on the receiving end of such hatred. I'd bet they didn't/don't like it either.

xDreamerx We all learn something new every day, nothing to be ashamed about! ;)

No shit, Sherlock.

You know, perpetuating the stereotype of white Arkansans as racists and claiming their towns are too white to be tolerant of other races is not furthering the idea that people should be judged on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

Archived