IGNORED

Black people on 19 kids and Counting...A First

nikegirl

Being black myself, I noticed this right away. I was starting to think all of the people they knew were white. Ring in with your comments on this matter.

I'm white but I thought this too!! I was like, "Whoa. I guess they DO know someone who isn't white?!" Though, how well they know them is hard to say.

Did anyone catch the woman in traditional Indian dress in the background who was laughing, when they were singing at the park? It was only for a second but it looked like she was snickering. It was great :)

I saw that lady! Now, why did the Pollards take them all the way to Highland Park to preach?

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=39th+ ... hland+Park)&hl=en&ll=40.729828,-73.881683&spn=0.103547,0.271912&sll=40.783661,-73.851128&sspn=0.103463,0.271912&geocode=Fa7cbQIdetOX-ympX61M01jCiTF_QE_Oic01Mg%3BFfLabAIdCJGY-yEgb2cFBimihA&mra=iwd&t=h&z=12

It's not exactly down the street, like they made it seem. Maybe they thought Astoria Park, nearer to the Pollards' home, was too full of the twenty- and thirtysomething heathens? (Or perhaps the Pollard father pastors a congregation in Cypress Hills--but if so, um, why doesn't he live at all close by there?)

Being black myself, I noticed this right away. I was starting to think all of the people they knew were white. Ring in with your comments on this matter.

Considering that many towns in the general vicinity of where they live are "Sundown Towns" and there really isn't a large African American population in the smaller towns in that area, I am not surprised they don't know many non-white people.

I thought Mr. Pollard seemed amused when they were getting off the subway, too.

I found it amusing that they kept saying, "Big City," like they've come off some 19th century farm for the first time. And when Josiah walked into the subway turnstile, I snickered, and rewound and watched it again.

On the same episode....I'm watching them with Mama!Nocturne right now and we both had to snicker when, on the Today show part, the kids all said they wanted big families.

Mom: Riiiiiight. I'm sure they'll say the same things if they think their parents won't know.

Why didn't JimBob allow Mr. Pollard explain the subway system to everyone? The Pollard family lives in New York...

Considering that many towns in the general vicinity of where they live are "Sundown Towns" and there really isn't a large African American population in the smaller towns in that area, I am not surprised they don't know many non-white people.

Can you please amend that to were?

I live here, and I recognize that there are racists here, but that doesn't mean I want to be painted with that brush. Racists are everywhere.

There's not a large AA population in any town in NWA, regardless of size, except Fayetteville. The other more populous races are Asians and Hispanics, and we have a large population of Marshallese.

Can you please amend that to were?

I live here, and I recognize that there are racists here, but that doesn't mean I want to be painted with that brush. Racists are everywhere.

There's not a large AA population in any town in NWA, regardless of size, except Fayetteville. The other more populous races are Asians and Hispanics, and we have a large population of Marshallese.

Many of those towns might not legally still be sundown towns, but the culture remains the same. I've experienced it in Harrison personally.

Harrison is not in NW Arkansas. And everyone knows Harrison has that reputation. I dare you to name one more. The culture HAS changed, and it WILL change. It has not 'remained the same".

Why didn't JimBob allow Mr. Pollard explain the subway system to everyone? The Pollard family lives in New York...

What, and allow Mr. Pollard to seem more knowledgeable, intelligent, and wise than he is? As if. :lol: :lol:

Harrison is not in NW Arkansas. And everyone knows Harrison has that reputation. I dare you to name one more. The culture HAS changed, and it WILL change. It has not 'remained the same".

Harrison is considered part of NW Arkansas by a lot of people.

I've also had issues in Alma when my ex-husband's mother was working there. Though a lot of that sentiment has shifted from African Americans to Hispanics. There are still major underlying racial issues in Arkansas, especially the northern half. As someone who was married to a bi-racial man, I have experienced it. I think the disturbing statement "The only reason we let (n-words) in this area is to play for the Hogs" said in front of my me and my ex by his mother's boss was one of the most disturbing moments of my life.

JB was about to have a heart attack with NY ice cream prices (and the subway). Absolutely hysterical! Its amazing how something as "normal" as an ice cream truck is a big deal to those kids. Even if it didnt come near their house, how about at a soccer field, sporting event, parade... oh wait, they dont go to those!

I love how the kids were afraid of "robbers" in the city... nothing like teaching the kids that different is dangerous! He was seriously having a freak out over the subway and was freaking out the kids. Why does everything have to be doom and gloom rather than "yay! Lets ride the train! Get on fast and hold hands!" If you miss the train its not a big deal, there's another one 5 minutes later and they all have phones! Not to mention the conductors look to make sure everyone is off the platform...

I wonder how they handle the homeless people. THey arent always good at keeping "comments" to themselves and may ruin the girls' virgin ears!

I wonder what they really think when people say cheesy stuff like "I was inspired by you to save my first kiss for marriage"... tools...

I agree that there are racists in Arkansas, and EVERYWHERE. But you can no longer claim that the towns around the Duggars ARE sundown towns. They no longer ARE. They were. WERE. You painted all of us with a broad brush and I DON'T LIKE IT.

Alecto, have you read James Loewen's book on sundown towns?

Anyway, I think this episode was PR control after the Washington DC episode with the Ethiopian restaurant.

JB was about to have a heart attack with NY ice cream prices (and the subway). Absolutely hysterical! Its amazing how something as "normal" as an ice cream truck is a big deal to those kids. Even if it didnt come near their house, how about at a soccer field, sporting event, parade... oh wait, they dont go to those!

I love how the kids were afraid of "robbers" in the city... nothing like teaching the kids that different is dangerous! He was seriously having a freak out over the subway and was freaking out the kids. Why does everything have to be doom and gloom rather than "yay! Lets ride the train! Get on fast and hold hands!" If you miss the train its not a big deal, there's another one 5 minutes later and they all have phones! Not to mention the conductors look to make sure everyone is off the platform...

I wonder how they handle the homeless people. THey arent always good at keeping "comments" to themselves and may ruin the girls' virgin ears!

I wonder what they really think when people say cheesy stuff like "I was inspired by you to save my first kiss for marriage"... tools...

This!!

I get it, handing over almost 400 dollars for tickets might seem like a lot, but you buying for FORTY PEOPLE. He made some remark about it being expensive to get across town. Most people don't take a gaggle of children and 3 other families with them. The ice cream truck thing was weird for me. I mean it's an ice cream truck, what's so special about them? I had ice cream from them lots when I was a kid. But then I remembered that they live in a such a rural area and hardly ever get out. How sad is it when an ice cream truck is a highlight in your life.

I had to look up what a sun down town was. :oops:

I agree that there are racists in Arkansas, and EVERYWHERE. But you can no longer claim that the towns around the Duggars ARE sundown towns. They no longer ARE. They were. WERE. You painted all of us with a broad brush and I DON'T LIKE IT.

Imagine those who were and are still on the receiving end of such hatred. I'd bet they didn't/don't like it either.

xDreamerx We all learn something new every day, nothing to be ashamed about! ;)

I annoyed with Boob's whining over how expensive NY prices are in regards to street food vendors and the subway. When he was crying about the subway costs breaking his bank account I laughed because TLC probably footed the $400 for the subway. I agree the kids made a big deal out of the ice cream truck because they live in a rural area and don't go to any events that ice cream trucks go to.

I didn't like my ex-husband being called racial slurs either. Yes, the sundown laws are removed, but that doesn't change the attitudes of many people there. Hell, I live in the delta, and it can be just as bad, only the racism is colored with more patronizing attitudes. Less "no blacks" and more "infantilism of minorities because they can't take care of themselves."

Hell, we just had a girl forced to share valedictorian because she was black in McGeehee. Arkansas has serious racial issues.

Guest Anonymous

:o My brain is exploding. :o

Its on now. (I'm in the PNW). I'd quite forgotten how stoopid Michelle is and how poor her grammar is. Aggggggghhh she's a home school mom, who cannot speak her own birth language. WTF? :evil:

I saw that lady! Now, why did the Pollards take them all the way to Highland Park to preach?

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=39th+ ... hland+Park)&hl=en&ll=40.729828,-73.881683&spn=0.103547,0.271912&sll=40.783661,-73.851128&sspn=0.103463,0.271912&geocode=Fa7cbQIdetOX-ympX61M01jCiTF_QE_Oic01Mg%3BFfLabAIdCJGY-yEgb2cFBimihA&mra=iwd&t=h&z=12

yn on

It's not exactly down the street, like they made it seem. Maybe they thought Astoria Park, nearer to the Pollards' home, was too full of the twenty- and thirtysomething heathens? (Or perhaps the Pollard father pastors a congregation in Cypress Hills--but if so, um, why doesn't he live at all close by there?)

Yeah, I noted on another thread that it was quite a trek. I guess they all made the transfer (they showed Prince St. is that correct? It sounded right, but then I only rode the subway out of Brooklyn a handful of times on the 2/3 or (I think) the D express.

:o My brain is exploding. :o

Its on now. (I'm in the PNW). I'd quite forgotten how stoopid Michelle is and how poor her grammar is. Aggggggghhh she's a home school mom, who cannot speak her own birth language. WTF? :evil:

Poor grammar is a Michelle trait.

Guest Anonymous

Its been 5 kids since I last watched Michelle and her green shirt. Its a job for the young. I'm gonna have a drink and take a BP pill. :| Its much easier on me when I just read the snark.

Prince Street isn't a transfer point. Well, you can switch between the N & the R, I suppose, but not to the J, which actually serves the area around the park? Prince is where they got off for their day at the Bowery Mission and whatnot. (No transfers involved; that's just a single long-ish ride from Queens, is all.)

Despite the nice long shot of all of them crossing the street, they undoubtedly made the trip out to Highland Park in the bus. ;)

(ETA: I know I'm being super nitpicky! Sorry! It's just that my mind boggled when I realized that they stayed about 3 subway stops away from me. I had no idea there were super fundies that close by, and now I'm getting all "recon mission". Darn it, I need a super-spy smiley to go here and I can't find one!)

Archived