IGNORED

ACK!! Finding out a family member is a fundie follower

snarkykitty

I was perusing a one of our "favorite" blogs and came across a comment left following a post. I had to read it three times because I couldn't believe what I was reading - a story about something that happened on Easter.

Why was it so unbelievable to read this anecdote left in the comment section of a fundie blogger?

1. Well, first, because the story the commenter told happened at my family's Easter dinner!!

2. Second, I went and read other comments left by this same person and read other things she has written - about our/her family - details about a family member's recent ER visit, a story about an averted near-injury of a fellow member of her church that happened during Mass, and some very specific information about her children (ages, interests, unique combination of one of their hair/skin/eye color) - that collectively, would be too much of a coincidence if another family had all of these things happen.

3. She seemed to have embellished some info in some of the stories to make her seem more "fundie". For example, spinning reasons why she did certain things, using language that better aligns with that of the fundie blogger.

I am truly flabbergasted. She has claimed that she doesn't participate on forums or visits blogs (her life is "too, too busy for something so pedestrian" :roll: ), let alone comments on them, but perhaps she keeps that info away from the rest of the family. The bigger issue is the fear of worlds colliding. This place is an outlet for me, and now she's popping up on blogs that I snark on? OH NOES!!! :angry-banghead:

Comment on the same blog anonymously with JUST.ENOUGH.INFO. to let her know she's busted!

Hmmmm.

Comment on the same blog anonymously with JUST.ENOUGH.INFO. to let her know she's busted!

This is brilliant! I'd use a site like hidemyass.com to mask my ip just in case she might talk the blogger into sharing the ip addy.

This is brilliant! I'd use a site like hidemyass.com to mask my ip just in case she might talk the blogger into sharing the ip addy.

Can't you just simply write: "You sound like someone I know" or "I think I know you..." while commenting anonymously? That would make her think twice before posting info on the Internet. Or I dunno.

LOL. My heart would drop into my shoes if someone here at FJ identified me from a story I told! It was weird enough back on the old board when three of us realized we had all gone to the same small liberal arts college!

I think you need a fundie-parody alter ego of your very own, snarkykitty. sanctimoniouskitty?

Do you even want her to know you know. I've recognized people on the Internet before and I just observe. You always have the option to bust her later.

I wouldn't bust her....

yet.

What I would be awfully tempted to do is search for her username (because people use the same username all over the place), create a sock-puppet to ask her questions (assuming the site allows them), and seed your next IRL encounter with her with somethign that will be amazing fodder for her.

But I"m not very nice. ANd I would be HORRIFIED if someone did^ that to me, so I am probably just an asshole on this one and should be ignored :

Ugh. My stupid sister in law kept posting crap about my personal life on a message board.. I didn't get mad until she talked about my then 1 year old daughter. Say what you want about me, leave my baby out of it! I hate people sometimes.

You have absolutely got to take advantage of this. I'd go with busting her IRL, unless you'd rather not reveal yourself to her.

I wouldn't bust her....

yet.

What I would be awfully tempted to do is search for her username (because people use the same username all over the place), create a sock-puppet to ask her questions (assuming the site allows them), and seed your next IRL encounter with her with somethign that will be amazing fodder for her.

But I"m not very nice. ANd I would be HORRIFIED if someone did^ that to me, so I am probably just an asshole on this one and should be ignored :

This is why I use different usernames for each forum/ whatever I visit.

I also change details just enough so, hopefully, I am not recognized. I have been net stalked before and it is not fun.

Do you even want her to know you know. I've recognized people on the Internet before and I just observe. You always have the option to bust her later.

Oh, ITA with the above. Stay in stealth mode and see what new ridiculousness she posts, and where her likes lead you. This may be a selfish attitude, but girly, you have happened upon a treasure trove of potential new extremists to snark upon and possibly expose!

Think Doug Phillips is a tool, for instance!

Just my $0.02...

Archived