IGNORED

Encouragement for Josh

sunshine

Ok, I'm not being snarky. I noticed that are so praising him, which is nice to praise someone when they do a attempt a job. But, Anna's face said something else....whatever, he cut a duck. lol

tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/19-kids-and-counting/videos/peking-duck.htm

If only they would encourage him to not be a douche on social networking sites and to do an actual days work instead of mess around

I can't believe *this* is what TLC pulls to promote this show: guy cutting up duck in a restaurant, microanalyzing the process, and then family members commenting on his cutting up of the duck. Seriously?? That's compelling television?

I will be snarky too. I could not watch it to the end, not even to one third.

The Peking Kaoya has a smaller ceremony to it, and you don't chop it up like it was a bowl of casserole or a holiday turkey. I always let them cut my portion then also let them chop it up gracefully, they know what's the best way for it to be cut. Same with a lot of meats, like Hainan JiFan (chicken rice from Hainan), the Singapore Crap (what would he have done with THAT oh Lordy...). Why didn't he to ask the sushi chefs to move aside and "let him" just do the thang... It can't be difficult, right? Sashimi is just sliced fish right?! Oh Lawd Jebus, Josh.

I think he wanted to play some sort of a paterfamilias there... and it went wrong. Josh, you are embarrassing.

I love how Anna declares it's a "guy thing to ...cut up things...have fun in the kitchen." Really? Uh, no. You've seen too many Norman Rockwell paintings. Way to try to make it manly to cut up a freaking birdie. Maybe he should have just whacked it with his penis or shed some beard hair on it and called it a day. :roll:

0013729e78490fa4b6821f.jpg

This is how you carve up a Beijing Duck nicely. Josh's victim, however, looked like a 2-week-old roadkill, ran over by trucks dozens of times.

If you wanna practice carving up the duck, do it at home Josh.

I know that you were trying to establish dominance in front of the whole gang and do the men's work, but you ruined an expensive dinner and a once in a lifetime experience for them (I doubt they'll have too much dinners like that). You messed up a carefully prepared duck because for reasons unknown, you needed an ego booster. You have made a disrespectful idiot of yourself and turned people's dinner into a mess. Good job... not.

Well, I had to watch...couldn't stay with it until the end. It was pretty embarassing.

He really trashed it while loudly analzying the process and in end said maybe it should be left to the professionals. Um, yeah, Josh it would.

The fact that this sorry band of idiots went on what would be considered trip of a lifetime (it would for me) just makes me :cry:

Well, I had to watch...couldn't stay with it until the end. It was pretty embarassing.

I know right?! I thought I was going to combust spontaneously and burn into ashes by 0:40. I'm ashamed FOR him! (And YES, you will get to China and wherever the hell you please if you want to! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I heard so often in my life that I should be "content" and rot in the same place where all my ancestors grew up but no one could kill my dreams. Believe in yourself!)

Was it my imagination, or did the REAL chef look like he was trying to get his knife back from Joshie after he cut up the first little bit?

I wonder if that bit of nonsense was producer driven.

I wonder if that bit of nonsense was producer driven.

SO much on the show IS producer driven, maybe. I do wonder why Smuggers would even want to do anything even so closely related to 'women's work'!

I love how Anna declares it's a "guy thing to ...cut up things...have fun in the kitchen." Really? Uh, no. You've seen too many Norman Rockwell paintings. Way to try to make it manly to cut up a freaking birdie. Maybe he should have just whacked it with his penis or shed some beard hair on it and called it a day. :roll:

It's like the TLC producers decide they are going to add this film clip to the show. They leave Anna to her own devices to come up with a lead in to the clip. She makes up whatever comes to mind, even when it makes no sense, as though she thinks that others will believe her simply because they don't know any better. It's just...odd.

I also wondered if this clip was producer driven. Still, Josh has no shame - I can't even imagine asking such a thing in a restaurant. The whole clip was odd. I did love the two boys James and - I can't remember the other one - watching with fascination - I bet they were hoping for some blood. hehe.

I feel like Josh is kind of - effeminate. Not that it really matters - except that he's trying to be such a manly man and he looks like he'd enjoy a good manicure and pedicure. Actually, I feel like a lot of these fundie men are effeminate. I don't quite understand it. Are they overcompensating for their perceived deficiencies because they aren't alpha men? That they are a bit effeminate?

Pearl wrote:

Actually, I feel like a lot of these fundie men are effeminate. I don't quite understand it.

I get the same impression, though I interpret it more as a lack of masculinity than as femininity. My guess, because who the hell knows, is that it's caused by them growing up submissive to their 'authorities' and not being allowed to get too aggressive with anybody. To be fair, they may view many men outside of their own culture as behaving like neanderthals.

Actually, in the country where I was born... It was always the patriarch's job to kick off the dinner by carving up the pig, turkey, any animal that was baked in an oven in one whole piece. They manly-ly stood up, erected from their seats, grabbed the carving knife and fork in an oh so manly manner and share it with the family. Maybe to show how much of a provider that person is, or maybe it's from the bible, how jesus gave out fish and bread to the people?! I dunno what gives, seriously, but it's defo not emasculating.

I remember once our really spoiled and bratty ass family member that I almost loathed, decided he'd do the men's job and carve up the turkey for everyone. I refused taking anything from him, I missed the turkey and I snuck out of my room in the middle of the night and had some of the leftover. Was delish, cold, just the way I like it. I think it was 2 things, one, I was still indoctrinated and did not think he was man enough to carve up the festive food, 2.) mostly, I detested accepting anything from that being. He was very similar to Josh in a way. Patriarchal, rude and stupid, and no such people will serve me the damn food I can help myself to.

I know right?! I thought I was going to combust spontaneously and burn into ashes by 0:40. I'm ashamed FOR him! (And YES, you will get to China and wherever the hell you please if you want to! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I heard so often in my life that I should be "content" and rot in the same place where all my ancestors grew up but no one could kill my dreams. Believe in yourself!)

Not to get OT, but than thank you for the encouragement! I am working on Mr. Nokidsmom on getting out of his rut (his job totally sucks right now so he's in a mood) and when he gets that way, he feels trapped. I am watching my elderly parents regret not taking trips or the like when they had the chance; they too are of the type to always stay in one place. They still have the $$ to do it but now neither are physically able now. I don't want to have that happen to me.

Ah, tell me about it! You two should be out exploring, meeting new folks! If there were a topic, discussing from where we all come from, I'd tell you how my ancestors lived in the same small village for centuries literally, how my grandparents never liked to leave their village, how I envied my ex boyfriends who lived as expats in Arabic, African, Asian countries... I'm not going to paint myself nice here, I was green with envy and I cried and hissed like a baby where no one saw me. Then I pulled myself together, took a few TESOL courses, left the country and now I'm having a job in the Golden Triangle of Asia : ) and now I'm spending Easter Holiday in Langkawi and it's neighboring islands. (For pennies, mind ya!)

You two have each other... do go on couch surfing dot com, do go on expat forums, do get in touch with people and GO! No more OT, but trust me... I came from a place where rock bottom was somewhere far above us. :) Million hugs from a vagabond.

ON!

Actually, in the country where I was born... It was always the patriarch's job to kick off the dinner by carving up the pig, turkey, any animal that was baked in an oven in one whole piece. They manly-ly stood up, erected from their seats, grabbed the carving knife and fork in an oh so manly manner and share it with the family. Maybe to show how much of a provider that person is, or maybe it's from the bible, how jesus gave out fish and bread to the people?! I dunno what gives, seriously, but it's defo not emasculating.

Archived