IGNORED

UGH, "Dr." Oz again

Wolfie

Have you considered keeping a food diary or doing an elimination diet? It is quite possible that you have some foods that bother you more than others.

Well, what I was SUPPOSED to do at the end of the 2-week cleanse (which was refined sugar, caffeine, processed foods, gluten and dairy free), was re-introduce those foods one at a time every day or so and keep track of how you felt. Only I got piggy and didn't so I still have no idea which one (or ones) caused the reactions. I'm planning on doing it again, because not only did I feel great but I also loved what I was eating, and this time I'll reintroduce properly. I think I live in fear of finding out that I have gluten and dairy sensitivities since bread baking is one of my favorite hobbies and I've recently taken up cheese making. :?

Just based on my own experience, I think there's a lot to be said for juicing, green smoothies, cleansing and back-to-basic eating. A lot of what I've read in contradictory and you've got to dig through the airy-fairy, new-agey language to get to the meat of the matter, but if you use your brain, exercise good judgment and don't accept everything on faith alone, it can be very beneficial. And that goes for just about anything.

:roll:

He's a "doctor" who advocates methods to uneducated audiences and suggests they try an alternative that is a proven crock of shit, but sure, yeah, we're all just pearl-clutching big Pharma sheep.

edit: forgot he actually had a medical degree. regardless, his professional life is devoted to shilling the latest idiotic trends, not giving advice to individuals in a professional capacity. He's not acting as a "doctor"

He still does heart surgeries. Again, I think this makes his nonsense worse, but he is still practicing medicine off the TV.

I HATE dr oz and all that homeopathic, reiki "natural" crap. It doesn't work, but if you're disabled, you'll hear about every damn day. "Don't you want to get better?" Is my favorite.

This! My health isn't the worst, but it's not the best and I have joint issues and I HATE that people keep insisting "if only you....." It's not gonna help, it's just going to make me mad.

Well, what I was SUPPOSED to do at the end of the 2-week cleanse (which was refined sugar, caffeine, processed foods, gluten and dairy free), was re-introduce those foods one at a time every day or so and keep track of how you felt. Only I got piggy and didn't so I still have no idea which one (or ones) caused the reactions. I'm planning on doing it again, because not only did I feel great but I also loved what I was eating, and this time I'll reintroduce properly. I think I live in fear of finding out that I have gluten and dairy sensitivities since bread baking is one of my favorite hobbies and I've recently taken up cheese making. :?

Just based on my own experience, I think there's a lot to be said for juicing, green smoothies, cleansing and back-to-basic eating. A lot of what I've read in contradictory and you've got to dig through the airy-fairy, new-agey language to get to the meat of the matter, but if you use your brain, exercise good judgment and don't accept everything on faith alone, it can be very beneficial. And that goes for just about anything.

I think that the reason that these sorts of things make people feel better is not so much the "fast" or "Cleanse," because our body cleans itself out all the time, BUT that people are actually not putting junk into their system. Eating healthy food is one thing, going on a strict dietary "detox" is something else. Even you admit that it probably was just eliminating something from you diet that you had a sensitivity to. I can't eat raw apples, the vast majority of "juice fasts" would make me very ill. There is no one size fits all in diets.

I think that the reason that these sorts of things make people feel better is not so much the "fast" or "Cleanse," because our body cleans itself out all the time, BUT that people are actually not putting junk into their system. Eating healthy food is one thing, going on a strict dietary "detox" is something else. Even you admit that it probably was just eliminating something from you diet that you had a sensitivity to. I can't eat raw apples, the vast majority of "juice fasts" would make me very ill. There is no one size fits all in diets.

No argument from me there. Of course it's all about eating better and not filling yourself with junk. I don't discount the benefit of a cleanse though. It does help you discover which foods could be causing certain reactions. And also, even though our bodies do naturally cleanse themselves, they can get overloaded and not work as efficiently as they should because of the constant stream of gunk we pour into them. So a formal cleanse is like a little Drano for the system.

Sparkles, would you be willing to share your source on clean eating? Thank you.

Sure. I'll PM you so I don't derail the thread any further. :D

No argument from me there. Of course it's all about eating better and not filling yourself with junk. I don't discount the benefit of a cleanse though. It does help you discover which foods could be causing certain reactions. And also, even though our bodies do naturally cleanse themselves, they can get overloaded and not work as efficiently as they should because of the constant stream of gunk we pour into them. So a formal cleanse is like a little Drano for the system.

Sure. I'll PM you so I don't derail the thread any further. :D

An elimination diet is one thing, a cleanse is still quackery. I think we're all interested in what diet you are doing and what science backs it up.

Seriously, why would anyone follow the advice of a famewhore tv doctor? They are more interested in attention than treating their patients.

I was told to try an elimination diet, but I did it differently. I started with gluten and for one solid week I went without anything that contained any gluten (which was hard because I love bread) and then slowly reintroduced it. It did not affect me. Tried all nuts next. Nothing. Then went without dairy and after one week I was feeling better. Reintroduced it and did not tolerate it. Removed forms of dairy and after a month of on and off with dairy it became obvious that dairy was causing my body great trouble. I am not allergic to milk, just horribly intolerant to it.

Allergy testing showed I was allergic to apples, bananas, string beans, cantaloupe and someting else I can't recall right now. I have never had a reaction to eating apples or cantaloupe so I still consume them. I cannot eat bananas. They give me a bellyache and a splotches occasionally. Though I did not get tested for berries, I believe I am likely allergic to blueberries to do the stomach cramps and rash I get soon after consumption.

For those unsure about food issues, I suggest seeing both an immunologist and primary physician or gastroenterologist who can work with you on finding the trigger foods. Some items can be treated with an allergy shot depending on the food allergen. Science is currently working on a shot for nut and peanut allergies.

Home remedies and homeopathy are not the same thing. Upset stomach? Ginger Ale and coke syrup can be very helpful. So can sucking on a lemon. Diarrhea? A little bit of blackberry juice can help stop it. Sore throat? Lemons and honey help. I love warming up some lemonade and adding honey when I have a cold.

Thing is I do those and use other medicines as necessary. People like Dr. Oz are anti-vaccination as well and that is a very, very dangerous philosophy to have. I don't like to think of him as a real doctor either because real doctor's won't promote bullshit.

Went in for massage therapy today because I have a wicked muscle issue with my neck. Almost laughed out loud when someone suggested I see their chiropractor to get some of the "homeopathic muscle relaxers" he prescribes. It's safer because it doesn't have any narcotics, she said! Mmmhmm. There are a lot of things it doesn't have, I'd guess.

Archived