IGNORED

Surprise! Birth Control is Awesome for Women!

happy atheist

http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2013 ... index.html

In news that should surprise absolutely no one:

The ability to delay and space childbearing is crucial to women's societal and economic advancement, according to a new Guttmacher Institute review of the scientific literature. The review, which examined the body of evidence on the impact of contraceptive use, underscores that women's ability to obtain and effectively use contraceptives has a positive impact on their education and workforce participation, as well as on subsequent outcomes related to income, family stability, mental health and happiness, and the well-being of their children.

Why the hell is this a surprise? I chose to stay home for several years with my children. Now that my youngest is going into highschool, I am taking classes in accounting so that I can work. My goals are only for my own personal satisfaction but my husband and I have both agreed any extra money will go into retirement or saving for trips. This will ultimately help even my adult kids because they won't have to worry about us financially and we can help them a little as they start out in life. However, I am still fertile. Luckily, my husband can't make children but having a newborn would be difficult. It would seriously hurt not just my husband and myself but my children and grandchildren.

Also, much like Michelle Duggar, my oldest son started his family way too young. So, I have two grandkids. Because I have no little babies, I can focus in on my grandchildren and their needs. This improves my grandchildren's lives.

Well of course birth control is great for women. The Patriarchy wouldn't spend so much time trying to take it away if it didn't benefit women.

To paraphrase Fugitivus: The only reason a person puts the work into knocking you down is because they fear what you'll do if you stand up.

Not being a mother to a newborn allowed me to finish college in a timely manner. Were I a parent, I don't think I would have been able to be at school full-time. I would not have been able to afford daycare either during the day or at night, which would have affected my ability to attend classes and work in the evenings to support myself and/or contribute to the family finances once married.

I was not able financially to remain at home with my son when he was born (he was a surprise, I was on contraception), although I will be grateful to Canadian maternity leave benefits until the day I die for giving me that first year of life at home with him. I worked part- or full-time, depending on what I could get from one year on.

My husband is no longer able to give me children, by choice. I have been the primary wage earner since 2010, when the impact of the financial crash hit our tourist-depended microcosm of a community. Where I still at home with babies or young children, I don't know what we would have done. We would have lost our (1100 sq ft, single storey) house, but would not have been able to pay rent on a rental once we lost our house, let alone feed children.

My life is better because I have had access to contraception at the beginning of my reproductive career (for want of a better expression), and have been able to secure a permanent method of contraception after having the number of children that I chose.

I echo debrand - life with a newborn is not something I can choose, let alone imagine, right now, financially or for the happiness of our family.

It's due to birth control's success as a social and economic force that makes it such a target for the patriarchal movement.

This is only a surprise to those who have lived under a rock.

I've been married almost 19 years and am proud to be the mother of two well-cared for and much wanted children. If it weren't for birth control, our family would be well into double digits by now, and I can't imagine how our quality of life would be.....different. Sans BC, I doubt I would have chosen to marry.

No surprise, of course, but such research seems to be necessary again, since there are so many assholes these days, who need to be contradicted with the truth.

No surprise, of course, but such research seems to be necessary again, since there are so many assholes these days, who need to be contradicted with the truth.

Exactly.

Well of course birth control is great for women. The Patriarchy wouldn't spend so much time trying to take it away if it didn't benefit women.

To paraphrase Fugitivus: The only reason a person puts the work into knocking you down is because they fear what you'll do if you stand up.

But it benefits men too. It's easier to support a few children than support a dozen or more. And mothers of fewer children are likely less tired and worn out so happier. If mama ain't happy ain't anyone happy. I had 3, I could have had 1 or 2 more but anymore than that I'd have been in the looney bin, and their father would be raising them alone.

I am very fertile... without birth control, I would have had a new baby almost each year, like one of my great grand mothers...

This is not what I wanted for my life, thanks to birth control, my husband and I have the 3 children we wanted at our own pace.

I am now 44 and I'm probably still fertile (my mother didn't enter menopause before 54), with absolutely no signs of pre-menopause, there is no way I would risk a pregnancy at this age, so once again thanks to birth control !

What the conservatives don't understand (or admit to) is that birth control helps them too! Fewer children means the less likely a family is poor and in need of benefits. Less big gubberment y'know?

Birth control IS awesome. Too many pregnancies too close together can be a recipe for disaster, maternal depletion syndrome, prolapse, incontinance, a whole host of things. Birth control is also good for the existing children, more time and energy can be spent maximizing their potential instead of tending to a newborn.

Archived