IGNORED

TV Shows we all should watch....

Love

Hi FJ'ers....

I set my DVR to record the Duggars, of course. But what else is out there? I've watched the Amish series and the Amish Mafia series, but not much else.

I saw a thread about Flora Jessop having a show start. And it made me think we all might benefit from a thread listing all the good, fundie shows out there.

Anyone want to help a girl out? What else is worth watching and relates to the world of fundies and extreme religions?

I only get NBC, nothing else. So I've again returned to not watching TV. I went without for 25 years or more but did watch some for the last 5-6 years but then I moved to the boonies so i'm back to almost nothing. I'll watch Dateline once every few months but that's it.

The documentary series Dangerous Persuasions on Invesitgation Discovery has focused a few episodes on cults and fundie religions.

Big Love was a good fictional portrayal of Mormon fundamentalism.

That said, books and blogs tend to be a better way to explore religious fundamentalism. There aren't many television shows about it, whereas there are plenty if books available. And blogs are great as they are often written by the fundies themselves, and are thus a fascinating primary source. They also show a personal level of crazy that writers researching a book would not otherwise have seen.

The book club on the worldly distractions board has selected several books about fundamentalism and cults. Maybe we could have another thread on the snark board to list or discuss books about religious fundamentalism.

Oh man... Preacher's Daughters is a trainwreck! And I must admit, I kinda loved it.

Thanks for the tips. I have read lots of books about FLDS and ATI - but sometimes I just like to watch TV and rest my noggin after a long day at work, kwim?

Is Flora Jessop doing a show? I thought I heard something about that....

The Bates family, good friends of the Duggars, had their own show for one season. I don't know where one can catch it now but it's another look into the fundie world.

Archived