IGNORED

Dads and Daughters and Video Games and Feminism

micatite

A very awesome father (Go dad!) hacked Donkey Kong for his daughter so that the 'Pauline' character would be the one rescuing Jumpman (ie: the character later to be re-named Mario).

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/donkey-kong-pauline-hack

One thing that's really disturbing is the stuff he reported after the fact about the comments on YouTube. Some people have truly lost their minds. Maybe it's bile poisoning.

One person wished her “dead†because “it would do the world a favor and be one less feminist in our future.â€

What sort of mysoginistic brain-rot makes someone think that such a response (especially directed at a 3 year old child) would EVER be acceptable?

Another interesting quote from Dad:

if something as innocuous as having Mario be saved by Pauline brings out the crazy, maybe we aren’t as mature in our view of gender roles as we should be.

I heard an NPR piece about this on my way home from work. My favorite part was the dad saying he didn't do this to make a statement or prove a point. He did it because his three year old daughter asked, and he could make it happen, unlike when she asks to go to the moon every night at bedtime.

I am an education, capable, independent woman and Princess Peach is my preferred Mario Kart character. The "men's rights" folks can kiss my tailpipe.

Archived