IGNORED

Lent observance, not fundie?

Irishy

Interesting that I never see Lent specials at fast food places in the UK even though we have plenty of Anglicans and Catholics who observe Lent! The only fishy fast food items I can think of are Fillet O' Fish at McDonalds and the fish finger Happy Meal. Burger King probably has a fish sandwich too though.

There are queues down the street at our local fish'n'chip shop on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. It's a proper old fashioned chipper. I don't think there would be much of an appetite for mc Donald's style fish sandwiches here any day of the year. Especially not among the older folk who are the most devout.

There are queues down the street at our local fish'n'chip shop on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. It's a proper old fashioned chipper. I don't think there would be much of an appetite for mc Donald's style fish sandwiches here any day of the year. Especially not among the older folk who are the most devout.

That's very true - I don't know about Ireland but fish and chips is so expensive where I am in the UK, it's very much a treat for me!

Interesting stuff. I guess the same goes for advent too if they don't follow the liturgical year. I guess I really ought to have known this stuff. But EVERYONE I ever grew up with in Ireland (apart from one muslim girl) was catholic so even though my parents were the worst, least observant Catholics, I have had little (personal) exposure to other faiths and their cultures. When Mackynzie was born, I assumed there'd be a big Duggar christening! For about 5 minutes in fairness. Then I copped that the Duggars are not piss-heads like the Irish and have no reason to baptise infants for the sake of a good party.* Tongue firmly in cheek *

Personally, I have not given up anything but my kids have and I think it's really no harm.

I grew up going to a Protestant church (not mainline) and never once celebrated lent or advent. I am not even aware of what the liturgical year involves. It is just Advent and Lent? Also, many Protestants do not do Christenings. They have dedications instead where the parents commit to raising the child in a godly manner and the child makes the decision about whether or not he or she wants to be baptized. I think a lot of Protestants got away from many of the rituals such as Lent in the Catholic church during the Reformation because they had no meaning for them and they are not mentioned in the Bible.+-

As a Lutheran we "do" Lent but not to any extreme. Wednesday night services followed by soup and bread supper. Ash wednesday we do the ashes on the foreheads. Sometimes we'll do a special feet washing service (on Maunday Thrusday maybe?) Sometimes we'll give something up, but we rarely make a big deal out of it. Oh, and the word "Alleluia" isn't used during church services during lent. Which kind of makes Easter Sunday more exciting. I think we use Lent more as a time for reflection about what God/Jesus has done for us and the sacrifice made.

My husband is Catholic and Lent drives his mother nuts. She was heard to say the other day, "I've been Lent-ed to death around here. They make you feel guilty over a piece of chocolate. I don't care if it's Lent, I'm eating what I want!" I think I'm going to convert her to being Lutheran at this rate. :lol: We do try and remember to observe the No Meat on Friday thing at our house. Although last week my DH was inhaling leftover ham for dinner and I was like, "Uh... so... we're not worrying about that today?" I think his response was "oops" before he went back to munching.

I grew up going to a Protestant church (not mainline) and never once celebrated lent or advent. I am not even aware of what the liturgical year involves. It is just Advent and Lent? Also, many Protestants do not do Christenings. They have dedications instead where the parents commit to raising the child in a godly manner and the child makes the decision about whether or not he or she wants to be baptized. I think a lot of Protestants got away from many of the rituals such as Lent in the Catholic church during the Reformation because they had no meaning for them and they are not mentioned in the Bible.+-

The liturgical year involves a few different things, and different liturgical churches have different customs (eg Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists all do different things). You have the calendar of saints, and their feasts are marked by liturgical colours depending on what happened to them. So the Virgin Mary is marked by the use of white (which is celebratory), whereas martyrs are marked by the use of red (for blood). Purple is used for Advent and Lent, which are times of penitence and reflection, looking to the joys of Christmas and Easter to come. They're not celebrations as such, but times in the year marked by certain actions, such as not having Alleluias in church. Easter and Christmas use white, again for celebration (sometimes gold replaces white). Traditionally Advent was a time of fasting as Lent is now, but that has dropped off. Red is also used for times commemorating the Holy Spirit, such as Pentecost, baptisms, confirmation and the ordination of deacons, priests and bishops. The parts of the year not marked by feasts or times such as Advent or Lent is called Ordinary Time and green is used. Liturgical colour is used in church decorations (eg lectern frontals) and vestments worn by clergy.

Regarding christenings, this is the term used by Catholics (and colloquially by those of other denominations), but in other denominations such as Anglicans, Methodists and Lutherans, it is infant baptism. There are differences in theology between christening and infant baptism.

Regarding christenings, this is the term used by Catholics (and colloquially by those of other denominations), but in other denominations such as Anglicans, Methodists and Lutherans, it is infant baptism. There are differences in theology between christening and infant baptism.

"Christening" it's not a word used by the Catholic Church. It's my understanding that it's a word used by non-Catholic Christians who question the efficacy of infant baptism. The word Catholics use is "baptism" because that word describes the Sacrament that is conferred. In some contexts, the word has found a way into "everyday" Catholic vocabulary; I have seen Catholic stores sell christening gowns, for example.

Say christen or say baptize; the important thing to do is baptize the child.

The liturgical year involves a few different things, and different liturgical churches have different customs (eg Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists all do different things). You have the calendar of saints, and their feasts are marked by liturgical colours depending on what happened to them. So the Virgin Mary is marked by the use of white (which is celebratory), whereas martyrs are marked by the use of red (for blood). Purple is used for Advent and Lent, which are times of penitence and reflection, looking to the joys of Christmas and Easter to come. They're not celebrations as such, but times in the year marked by certain actions, such as not having Alleluias in church. Easter and Christmas use white, again for celebration (sometimes gold replaces white). Traditionally Advent was a time of fasting as Lent is now, but that has dropped off. Red is also used for times commemorating the Holy Spirit, such as Pentecost, baptisms, confirmation and the ordination of deacons, priests and bishops. The parts of the year not marked by feasts or times such as Advent or Lent is called Ordinary Time and green is used. Liturgical colour is used in church decorations (eg lectern frontals) and vestments worn by clergy.

Thanks for all the information about the liturgical year. Also, I did not know there was a difference in theology between christening and infant baptism. :oops:

"Christening" it's not a word used by the Catholic Church. It's my understanding that it's a word used by non-Catholic Christians who question the efficacy of infant baptism. The word Catholics use is "baptism" because that word describes the Sacrament that is conferred. In some contexts, the word has found a way into "everyday" Catholic vocabulary; I have seen Catholic stores sell christening gowns, for example.

Do any denominations call it a Christening?

Yewchapel you are a fountain of knowledge!

I think some Protestant non-fundies might not celebrate lent, but I've never heard of a group that doesn't, so it could very well be a fundie thing. If you want to add another data point to your collection, I've given something up for lent, and I'm sitting 4 feet away from a box of condoms that get used specifically for sex of the pre-marital variety.

Apologies - I've heard Catholics talk about christening! Also at least in the UK, infant baptism gets called 'christening' by everyone even if the denomination calls it baptism, it's not used in a derogatory way, it's just the everyday term for it.

Thanks for bringing this up, Jinger Jar. When we were setting up a date to get our son baptized in a Catholic church, I inadvertently used the term "christening". The church secretary quickly corrected me. She probably heard "christening" instead of "baptism" a lot from we lapsed Catholics.

I think some Protestant non-fundies might not celebrate lent, but I've never heard of a group that doesn't, so it could very well be a fundie thing. If you want to add another data point to your collection, I've given something up for lent, and I'm sitting 4 feet away from a box of condoms that get used specifically for sex of the pre-marital variety.

I know for sure that Assemblies of God, Calvary Chapel, Vineyard, and many non-denominational churches do not celebrate lent, so it is not fundie thing. However, I have encountered a few people who attend these type of churches that choose to celebrate lent on their own. I am sure there are many other denominations that do not celebrate lent.

We always had cheese pizza on meatless Lent nights. Again, not much of a sacrifice! :)

URGLE, I'm in the midst of battle # 347 w/ people at work.

Ordering food for an event @ my workplace that will have a bunch of kids through @ lunch time on a friday.

There's a decently sized Muslim population in this area, a decently sized Jewish population, and more than a few Catholics.

EVERY year, we have this event on a Friday, during lent. And every year I have to fight tooth and nail to get more cheese pizzas, and fewer pepperoni, on the list. And every year, we run out of cheese because no=-one realized that pizza containing pork might be less than ideal. :roll:

Certainly, mainstream Presbyterianism in Scotland (and I presume there are Church of Scotland congregations in Northern Ireland too?) is not fundie at all and I have heard of them observing Lent and the imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday.

Yeah, a fair few girls at my (state, Scottish) high school used to do it. It wasn't seen as weird. They gave up chocolate usually, thus cunningly combining Lent with dieting.

I'm a liberal Protestant (raised United Church of Christ, attending a reconciling Methodist church) who observes Lent. However, I know people within the denomination in which I was raised who are more Reformed church in temperament who think doing so is a sign of wannabe Catholicism.

In some years, to observe the season, I've taken on new things (like trying a prayer class, or daily meditation, or a gratitude journal, or walking while paying attention to the surrounding world instead of talking on the phone), while in other years I've given things up (e.g., leisurely hot showers, recreational internet use*). For a couple of years I gave up buying things out of the campus vending machines and wrote a check to the county food bank equivalent to the money I thus saved during Lent.

The last two years, I've been giving up behaviors that really bother The Partner. (Last year I chose to give up self-deprecation. This year I picked "treating every little thing that goes wrong as if it is worse than the Bataan Death March.")

*Giving up recreational internet use was the hardest. Way harder than giving up desserts as a kid.

I'm Episcopalian & gave up swearing the Lent. Not going so well:( DH was raised nominally Congregationalist, and is agnostic now so he doesn't really participate. I don't serve meat on Fridays in Lent, and made it thru the Ash Wednesday service while wrangling my toddler. The entire extended family is Catholic, so this is the one time of year I can "pass" for Catholic;)

I've noticed more and more Facebook friends who "gave up" things for Lent and they're not Catholic. Most Catholics will mention "oh, I gave up _______ or I'm giving up Facebook for Lent, see you in 40 days" but it's not a big deal. These people who aren't Catholic seem to continue to bring it up.... seriously, I want to tell them to "STOP YOUR DAMN WHINING ABOUT WHAT YOU SUPPOSEDLY GAVE UP FOR LENT!!! If you want to play like a Catholic, then follow all the rules. No whining about what you gave up is rule #1! Because WWJD? He'd tell you to stop your whining!" As Catholics we are taught and recognize that making a big deal about what you gave up for Lent is really taking away from the whole reason you gave something up in the first place. Lent is a time for prayer, fasting, reflection and moving closer to God. It's not a time to complain about not being able to have whatever you gave up publicly. Every day. I mean, if you want to get all technical about it, Jesus didn't complain when he was dying on the cross, so you can't complain about not having chocolate for 40 days. It's not like you're never going to get chocolate again. You can have all the chocolate you want on Easter morning. This is what I want to tell all the complainers on Facebook.

I'm a convert and when I was Baptist, we never celebrated Lent and we never celebrated Advent. The only people who did these things were Catholic. I don't understand why other religions (other than Episcopalian and maybe Lutheran) suddenly starting the whole Lent thing. With so many denominations that seem to criticize Catholicism for all our rituals and such, why are they now adopting our practices?

Oh, and I didn't give up anything for Lent because I had a priest give a homily one year about giving things up for Lent. He had a great message. He said instead of giving something up, why not work to do something better? One year, I spent time in the Perpetual Adoration Chapel reading the Bible or I read the Bible at home. Another year, I volunteered at the parish fish fry each Friday. This year, I'm working on my diet and exercise. I think these things were of a greater benefit than giving up something I can have again in 40 days. Lent is all about change- so why not try to make a change in me instead of giving up Starbucks or chocolate or sex. (hahahaha!! Giving up sex has always been a joke among my friends and me!)

In high school (in a culturally-Orthodox-but-not-really-kinda-maybe country), a lot of girls would observe Orthodox Lent hardcore to lose weight. I always found the practice absurd and happily chowed down on pizza while they were eating boiled buckwheat, but the excuse did come in handy when I had to go on some retreat and the food they tried to make us eat literally looked toxic. I'd explain I can't have sausage franks 'cause of Lent and all that, but really, it was because they had actual black marks on them. Spotted. Like leopards :|

I know! In our house, fish is way more of a treat than meat.

I'll have to hook you up with my uncle (really my grandpa's cousin) & aunt in on the outskirts of Navan with a BBQ'd salmon addiction. :lol:

I'm protestant & I often observe it.

The school I went to had a high church chaplain who had a huge wooden cross which he would drag down the middle of the hall for the easter service. Oh & we always spent the 2 periods between morning tea & lunch at an ash wednesday service. Which was boring, but better than doing school work. :lol: It never went as far as a passion play, but he probably would have, if he could have.

Remember that a lot of fundie and fundie lite evangelical churches don't do any eeebil catholic/pagan holidays. My church was a bit weird, we did Christmas (but no associated days like advent) but NO Ash Wednesday, Lent, Good Friday, or Easter. We would have an obligatory "resurrection Sunday" for any wayward sinners happening to visit just because it was Easter. But Easter is the name a pagan goddess dontchaknow and since we took communion every Sunday we were supposedly celebrating the death/burial/ressurection every week.

Archived