IGNORED

Submission can be downright dangerous

kpmom

We have discussed this blog before; teachingwhatisgood.com/

It's written by a mother of 8, and is full of the usual; homeschooling, submission, blah, blah, blah.

But this entry about submitting to your husband when you think he's making a bad mistake really caught my eye; teachingwhatisgood.com/suppose-i-really-believe-my-husband-is-making-a-bad-choice-how-do-i-submit-and-not-freak-out/

Well not so much the entry, which is full of the usual advice, but scroll down to the one comment she received from a woman who had a disagreement with her husband about her son going somewhere with their neighbor, a single, male who always seemed to have neighborhood kids over to his house. Her submission almost led to a dangerous, tragic situation.

Edited to break links _lilith

Barbara

January 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm · Reply

I remember a time when we lived next door to a guy who always seemed to have a lot of kids at his house. He said he enjoyed kids, was a camp counselor etc. But thought it was a bit strange he put all this energy to having kids over. He wanted to take my son to a soccar match up in the city and I said ‘no’. My DH said ‘yes’. I told my DH I had a funny feeling about this guy and was not happy with my son going off alone with the man. My DH said it was ok. I sort of put my foot down. My son was having problems at school with his school work. I said ‘if ds does his school work he can go but I am not at all happy with this’. DS messed up and didn’t do his work (thank goodness) and was not allowed to go as to what we agreed on. Five months later this guy was arrested for being a ped*p*ile. He was sent to prison. I was so relieved that my gut instinct was right, relieved my son was never harmed, and relieved that we (dh and I ) made the agreement that ‘if he does his school work’ …and relieved that he didn’t do his school work!!! yayyy!!

I'm very glad that she followed her instincts

I'm very glad that she followed her instincts

But, what if her son had completed his school work? I would have said "no", end of story. That was ridiculous that she felt she had to make a deal to get her husband to listen to her.

Fundies relationship with God weird me out. Seriously, is God that obsessed with men being the head that he has to test women to trust them?

Last I heard, God was suppose to be what you trusted in completely, not man. Seriously, why is it so dangerous that a woman can think?

Last I heard, God was suppose to be what you trusted in completely, not man. Seriously, why is it so dangerous that a woman can think?

I'm reminded of that line in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I forget the exact quote but it goes something along the lines of "A woman will start thinking and getting ideas!"

I'm reminded of that line in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I forget the exact quote but it goes something along the lines of "A woman will start thinking and getting ideas!"

“It’s not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting ideas, and thinking..."

Oh, Gaston. You are such a perfect representation of what a fundie man thinks regarding women.

But, what if her son had completed his school work? I would have said "no", end of story. That was ridiculous that she felt she had to make a deal to get her husband to listen to her.

This. This. This. There should have been no deal making in this situation.

“It’s not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting ideas, and thinking..."

Oh, Gaston. You are such a perfect representation of what a fundie man thinks regarding women.

Of course, Gaston was set up as the villian. In Fundieville they'd applaud him.

Archived