happy atheist

Does anyone else belong to a critique group, or other writing organization?

I lead an in-person critique group that meets weekly. We've been meeting for years. It's a nice way to interact with other writers, and get feedback on your work. Friends and family members don't always feel like they can give honest feedback, and they aren't always qualified to give good input.

I'm also a member of a local writers' group that holds monthly meetings on a variety of topics. There are talks by authors of various genres, panel discussions, and open reading nights. I only attend that when the topic is something I care about, but it's another way to connect with others who share this solitary hobby. They also host a monthly breakfast at a restaurant, and a monthly happy hour.

Recently I took part in a 6 week writing workshop with a local author. It was a different kind of critique group than my usual, and it was very interesting. I'll probably do it again when I have enough extra cash on hand.

I don't think that the FJ boards is a good place to start a critique group, but I would be happy to give advice to anyone looking to start a group of their own. There are pitfalls to avoid.

For the most part my critique group has been a friend of mine who will read my work. She does sometimes tell me that she doesn't know much about this or that period to really give accurate feedback. For the 1860's story I'm writing you do need a basic knowledge of the time period for the story to make sense.

I think it would be a good idea to start one up here.

I think it would be a bad idea for people to post work on the boards for critique.

I think it would be a lovely idea for people to connect through PM or email to critique work outside of FJ.

Agreed. I'd like to keep writing and FJ separate, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. However, we could totally share the critique groups we like on here. I'm not currently part of one but would LOVE information about any you like.

• 3 months later...

I last year I took Ariel Gore's online memoir writing course, which was pretty great. One component is everyone has to comment on each other's work, so I got a lot of thoughtful feedback.

Those writers do get together IRL, but they are on the West Coast, and I am on the East Coast.

My husband has been in some writing groups, and some of the authors have gone on to be very successful. They were brutal to him.

I would like to be part of a group, or start a group, but I'm torn about needing money and thinking about a professional grad program that isn't an MFA.

Archived