IGNORED

It's okay for men to curse - but not girls MERGED

Pearl

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/02/new-jersey-school-implements-no-cursing-pledge-for-girls/?test=latestnews

Among the articles are such gems as:

Flynn says school officials want "ladies to act like ladies." And Brother Larry Lavallee, the school's principal, says girls have the foulest language.

and the classics - boys will only behave if girls behave properly (i.e. girls are responsible for boys' bad behavior):

Teachers said they hoped that if the girls focused on cleaning up their speech on campus for a month, their improved manners would take hold and rub off on the boys.

Raising a new generation of misogynistic buttheads:

"It's unattractive when girls have potty mouths,"
from the mouths of 16 year old boys.

Manly men can't help themselves:

...said he can't help shouting obscenities from the mound after mishaps, and he didn't expect that to change.

It seems like a little thing - but it bugs the heck out of me.

[edited for grammar correction - although, I'm sure there are other errors]

It's not a little thing. You're right - it's making the oh-so-evil females responsible for the "just-can't-help-themselves-even-though- they're-the-superior-headship-gender-that-are-supposed-to-protect-the-women" males. It's setting up teenagers, who are in an identity crisis to begin with, to take on a responsibility that is not their own or to eschew responsibility for their own behavior (gender-assigned, of course).

grrr

Well, me!

So it's okay for boys to curse but not girls? They sure won't want to hang around me then! I can curse like a sailor when provoked. :angry-cussingblack:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/02/new-jersey-school-implements-no-cursing-pledge-for-girls/?test=latestnews

Among the articles are such gems as:

and the classics - boys will only behave if girls behave properly (i.e. girls are responsible for boys' bad behavior):

Raising a new generation of misogynistic buttheads:

from the mouths of 16 year old boys.

Manly men can't help themselves:

Edited for [redacted] riffles.

Apparently the fact that I wasn't afraid throw a good curse around was what attracted my husband to me. Fuck everything about that nonsense.

This is sort of in the same crazy ass category as telling girls in elementary school that if a boy harasses her or hits her it's because he likes her. Yes, let's teach our daughters that abusive behavior is a normal part of the mating ritual. :evil:

Yeah, this isn't a big deal but it irks me that rules like this reinforces the most egregious gender stereotypes, that misbehavior tolerated for boys but not girls and that girls are responsible for boys' bad behavior. I especially love that quote for the 16 year old teen who said girls are not attractive when they cuss but, heavens forbid, he needs to swear when he plans baseball. No one thought to point out the sexism and double standard of what he just said?

Frankly, I don't care about swearing. It's a matter of good manners for me. People shouldn't swear at certain times because it's not polite. In most other times, a little bit of swearing is a good way to let out some steam in a nonhurtful manner. I hate this lady-like behavior crap. It's just as important for boys to not learn not to swear as it is for girls. Plus, the idea that if girls swear less, this will also improve boys' manners as well.....what does that teach boys? That they are not responsible for their behavior? What next? If girls would act more cloying, boys will learn to not fight in the hallways? Sheesh. While this school is trying to teach students not to swear, I think a different sort of lesson will result.

This is sort of in the same crazy ass category as telling girls in elementary school that if a boy harasses her or hits her it's because he likes her. Yes, let's teach our daughters that abusive behavior is a normal part of the mating ritual. :evil:

That drives me crazy.

On one hand it could be true (the boy likes the girl but doesn't know how to express it), but on the other hand, it is still not okay. Instead of patting a girl on the head and brushing her off and saying: "Oh, he just likes you", you should go to the boy and find out why he's doing it and teach him other ways (verbal, for example) to get his message across and explain that hitting another person is never an okay way to communicate anything.

That drives me crazy.

On one hand it could be true (the boy likes the girl but doesn't know how to express it), but on the other hand, it is still not okay. Instead of patting a girl on the head and brushing her off and saying: "Oh, he just likes you", you should go to the boy and find out why he's doing it and teach him other ways (verbal, for example) to get his message across and explain that hitting another person is never an okay way to communicate anything.

Indeed. Sure, the boy might just be incapable of speaking his feelings, but the solution is to help him speak his feelings! Or to teach him how to accurately portray his feeling using kind actions.

Brushing it off isn't helpful for the girls OR the little boys doing the hitting. It really does everyone a disservice.

Weeeeeeeeell that school's a bitch it's a big fat bitch it's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world, it's a stupid bitch if there ever was a bitch it's a bitch to all those cussin' girls...

Personal anecdote: when I was in high school, by an accident of alphabetization, I was placed between two of the worst kids in school for a study hall. They were bullies and constantly tormented me and my best friend. They loved this opportunity for more of the same. I was a very modest and shy Catholic girl at the time. All through the hour, they whispered filthy words in my ears, telling me what a slut/whore I was and what they would like to do to me. I begged the teacher to let me move my seat. He refused. I begged him to let me go to the library. He refused. So I did what any good nerd would do--I studied up. I pilfered some books from my father's library that contained cursing, and took careful note of the new vocabulary. The next time the bully started whispering to me, I gave him the meanest look I could, and said, "Listen, you --- ---- ing, --- ---- ing asshole son of a bitch, if you ever speak to me that way again, I swear to God I will rip your ---- off and stuff it down your ---- ing throat." His eyes bugged out, and he fell silent. He never spoke to me again in that class.

Threats of violence are not something I would recommend now that I'm older. But I think it was the shock of hearing me curse that shut him up more than anything else. This is a big deal, because when girls are told that certain words are off limits for them, they are being set up to be silenced and bullied as I was. Those idiots can fuck right off. I plan to keep the middle finger flying.

This is a big deal, because when girls are told that certain words are off limits for them, they are being set up to be silenced and bullied as I was. Those idiots can fuck right off. I plan to keep the middle finger flying.

I think you're right. This is teaching girls that they need to keep sweet. It's stupid and ridiculous. I have a weird bullying story to add to boltingmadonna's: When I was in elementary school a group of girls bullied me relentlessly. Especially this one big blonde girl. I was terrified of her. When I went to middle school, she came in my face one day and said: I heard you called me a bitch! Did you call me a bitch! She had the meanest look on her face. I didn't call her a bitch, but I got mad and thought - well she kind of is one so responded calmly: Yes, I did.

She laughed and said: It's about time.

She then walked off an didn't bother me again.

I was like WTF?

Like others have said - being polite is not a gender specific thing. Everyone should be decent. I can't think of one thing that a woman should do that a man should not do - they both should be equal.

This is about bad as a group of church girls saying that it's okay for boys to sleep around (they can't help it), but not girls - girls shouldn't sleep around. I asked them why was it okay for a boy to expect a virgin on their wedding night and not vice versa? (I don't really care about the virgin thing - but if one is saving oneself, but thinks that their spouse shouldn't have to...that doesn't jive with me). The girls I spoke with never NEVER thought of it that way. It was sad.

I haven't seen this one posted. A Catholic school in New Jersey asked students to take a "no swearing" pledge, but apparently it only applied to the female students! They say it's not a problem because the boys were asked not to swear when girls are around :roll:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 14501.html

Yup, this was posted, I think in Snark.

I am apparently blind, because I still can't find it :) If you see it and post the link, I'll merge the topics though.

Archived