IGNORED

Sexist job skill set?

dairyfreelife

Today, I received a booklet for a community college. It's a workforce development program for this spring. Though I'm in my last semester and don't intend to go for any training, I just wanted to skim the booklet to see what it's offered.

Offered by West Virginia WomenWork!, this training program is designed to prepare women to work in the construction industry as a carpenter's helper. Topics to be studied include: hand and power tools; fasteners; floor framing; roofing; roof framing; windows and doors; sliding; construction math.

They bolded the women in the booklet. To me this is strikingly sexist. Not a carpenter, just a helper and just women can be a helper, not men. The WV women work program claims to bring equality to women, but I don't see this as really helping women at all in matters of equality.

West Virginia Women Work is a statewide nonprofit organization that supports and advocates for the education, employment and economic equity for all women. We achieve this goal through a comprehensive program of recruitment, training, referrals, placements, networking, advocacy, retention activities and public workshops.

Maybe I'm being too picky. What do you think?

Is it a job where men also begin as helper? I know here we have three ranks of carpenter so that sounds like entry level perhaps?

I'm guessing that the non-profit is covering some of the costs students would normally incur and, as such, are limiting enrollment to women. That said, I'm assuming these are skills any entry-level construction worker would need to learn and that the program is helping women get placed as "helpers" so as to learn the trade as an apprentice type thing and eventually become carpenters in their own right (do carpenters have some sort of licensing thing?)

Damnit, I read the title as "SexiEst job skill set"... I never would have clicked on it otherwise. Cry for me.

It's not sexist to have government programs aimed at improving gender balance in a particular field of work; there are programs for women to enter building trades, and programs for men to enter nursing and nursing assistance.

"Carpenter's helper" is a specific job title on the federal list of occupations. However, I agree with you that that text is just horrible and does a poor job of describing the program.

I worked at one point for a nonprofit that provided job training, and we did occasionally get grants that were limited in scope, for example holding a class for people coming out of prison or for people receiving TANF. Since the description specifically mentions a women's organization that might be the case. Terrible description, though. (I know nothing about training for carpenters, so I can't speak to the appropriateness of training them specifically to be a helper.)

Damnit, I read the title as "SexiEst job skill set"... I never would have clicked on it otherwise. Cry for me.

Me too!!! I had some good ideas!!!

Carpenters helper is an entry level position. You work up to carpenter. Almost an apprenticeship. So, it's not sexist. It's just aiming to include women in a non-traditional for females job market.

Today, I received a booklet for a community college. It's a workforce development program for this spring. Though I'm in my last semester and don't intend to go for any training, I just wanted to skim the booklet to see what it's offered.

They bolded the women in the booklet. To me this is strikingly sexist. Not a carpenter, just a helper and just women can be a helper, not men. The WV women work program claims to bring equality to women, but I don't see this as really helping women at all in matters of equality.

Maybe I'm being too picky. What do you think?

Given the context, it's a step forward. Getting women into the construction trades particularly in WV where unemployment and poverty are so high can only improve the lives of the residents. I think it's focused on women because it's a woman's group offering the classes and probably because learning tool-stuff around men can be INCREDIBLY intimidating.

I get what you're saying about "helper" and I do understand why that would make people uncomfortable. But I'm willing to overlook that for the other benefits of such a program. Plus, many construction trades are primarily apprentice driven. Most of the men started out as helpers, too. Women are often kept out of these programs either through polices or through typical sexist bullshit from their co-workers.

Plus since it is a mostly a male job woman may not have some of the basic skills a man would have from doing it around the house or in school. Or they may have but it is more likely they will be starting from scratch.

I am all for it I don't see enough woman in a woodworking construction type work.But it is a heavy lifting job so that needs to be taken int account.

Archived