IGNORED

Austrian woman who survived Hitler warns US

Dinorah

I came across this on FB

http://blog.beliefnet.com/on_the_front_ ... erica.html

I' m not familiar with the source website. As far as I'm concerned it's "reduction ad Nazium" at its finest.

As a European, as usual I really don't get how people can think that socialized medicine and gun control supposedly lead inevitably to Nazi type totalitarian regimes without seeing that a lot of countries have had these things for decades and have stayed perfectly democratic. Also, the "everyone goes to the doctor for any little thing if it's free" is just dumb. People are still busy with work or other stuff, and going to the doctor is still annoying. I suspect doctors themselves mighht discourage hypocondriacs who're constantly running to their offices. Once again, this just doesn't happen. I suspect the woman is either misremembering or lying, or those 40 people in line genuinely needed a doctor.

Another thing I don't get is people worrying that a totalitarian regime might be coming along and doing nothing about it, except whining. If I were really worrying about something like that, I'd try to get out of the country, or create some kind of resistance.

I came across this on FB

http://blog.beliefnet.com/on_the_front_ ... erica.html

I' m not familiar with the source website. As far as I'm concerned it's "reduction ad Nazium" at its finest.

As a European, as usual I really don't get how people can think that socialized medicine and gun control supposedly lead inevitably to Nazi type totalitarian regimes without seeing that a lot of countries have had these things for decades and have stayed perfectly democratic. Also, the "everyone goes to the doctor for any little thing if it's free" is just dumb. People are still busy with work or other stuff, and going to the doctor is still annoying. I suspect doctors themselves mighht discourage hypocondriacs who're constantly running to their offices. Once again, this just doesn't happen. I suspect the woman is either misremembering or lying, or those 40 people in line genuinely needed a doctor.

Another thing I don't get is people worrying that a totalitarian regime might be coming along and doing nothing about it, except whining. If I were really worrying about something like that, I'd try to get out of the country, or create some kind of resistance.

beliefnet is usually pretty even-keeled and legit.... but I think they allow people to publish whatever they want, within reason.

This article is pretty bad though, it quietly indicates that women working and secular schooling and daycare somehow leads to a totalitarian and murderous regime. As someone whose family was devastated in the Holocaust I'm sick of it being appropriated to prove that the one and only way to avoid ruin from dictatorships is by appointing religious idealogues who will take away the rights of women and force religion down everyone's throats.

They don't seem to realize that most totalitarian regimes were anti-woman (restricting access to BC and abortion, for instance) and that some dictatorships, such as Franco's in Spain, had a Christian component.

And I've looked up this woman, it seems that she's a certified right wing nut.

Archived