IGNORED

‘Hang my son, he deserves it’

doggie

You don/t see this often in the us. Usually mothers will defend their children to the death no matter the evidence. Glad to see it in this case.

http://www.asianage.com/mumbai/hang-my- ... ves-it-377

Family members of the accused who gangraped a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus wept and expressed disgust over the involvement of their kin. However, the locals of their residential area are glad they have been arrested as their “children will no more grow up in the company of these men.â€

Remorseful mother Champa Devi of Vinay Sharma, an accused, wiped her tears while she said, “Give my son a death penalty!†She further said that in case her son is not hanged, he should be made impotent so that he remember his offence lifetime. Two teenaged sisters and a brother of Sharma refused to see their brother again. Vinay’s shattered sister said in a sinking tone, “I broke all my blood relations with Vinay.â€

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found another article on the accused rapists.

None of us wants to meet him now. His mother has stopped eating and collapsed this morning. I am not worried about him but I am very concerned about the poor girl fighting for her life in hospital. My son should be given the severest of punishments that is available in our country today,†he says.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/who-a ... -/1048976/

About damn time.

Too often, people who know the offender (whether it's a rapist, a batterer, etc) try to blame the victim for what happened. It's nice to see something different for once.

For once a male is being held accountable by the family for dishonoring their name. Glad to see that the mother is speaking out, I'm curious about the father.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for family members to know that their relative did such a terrible thing. My compassion is with them as well as with the victims. It just goes to show that the suffering from one horrible act reaches far and wide.

I wonder if it weren't such a media presence, would these families feel this way? Like if no one knew who committed the gang rapes, but the individual families knew one of their sons/brothers were one of the rapists, would these families still want their male relatives to die? I'm thinking no.

I'm against the death penalty, but I'm happy to see that these people are holding their son accountable for his own actions, and not defending him til the end. Blood is not thicker than water!

For once a male is being held accountable by the family for dishonoring their name. Glad to see that the mother is speaking out, I'm curious about the father.

The father is quoted in the article, and debrand reposted his words above.

I wonder if it weren't such a media presence, would these families feel this way? Like if no one knew who committed the gang rapes, but the individual families knew one of their sons/brothers were one of the rapists, would these families still want their male relatives to die? I'm thinking no.

Aw, we have absolutely no evidence to judge this family as hypocrites.

I'm against the death penalty, but I'm happy to see that these people are holding their son accountable for his own actions, and not defending him til the end. Blood is not thicker than water!

My thoughts exactly right there.

I think in many cases it is like it is in the US. The parents don't think there son could ever do this. I doubt most parents would be happy about their son gang raping someone...I think they just don't believe it happened or it wasn't rape.

People are glossing over the most obvious reasons for these parents to disown their sons. Marriages are arranged in India, and they do not merely look at the bride and groom, but at the entire family. If these families do not disown their sons in the strongest possible terms, they will NOT be able to secure good marriages for their other children and grandchildren. Obvious criminality or mental illness in a family member are huge problems for the brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews of those affected. What the parents are doing is actually quite common in arranged marriage cultures where the criminal activity can no longer be hidden. These parents are no doubt upset for the victim as well, but their public renunciation of their sons is also attempting to salvage the reputation and marriage prospects of their other children.

The mother may indeed starve herself in shame, but it will also secure the future of her unmarried children if she makes some public atonement. This is a shame culture, not a guilt culture. These men's crimes do not merely have consequences for the criminals, but for innocent family members.

Same here. I am afraid they still have the patriarchal mindset, but seeing the masses turning on them, they are just scared shitless and blend in order to saving their asses from getting skinned raw. I wonder for how much crap they had covered for their son for? I'm not buying into fake tears of a family that raised a patriarchal, heartless rapist. IDGAFF. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Guest Anonymous
I cannot imagine what it must be like for family members to know that their relative did such a terrible thing. My compassion is with them as well as with the victims. It just goes to show that the suffering from one horrible act reaches far and wide.

This. :(

People are glossing over the most obvious reasons for these parents to disown their sons. Marriages are arranged in India, and they do not merely look at the bride and groom, but at the entire family. If these families do not disown their sons in the strongest possible terms, they will NOT be able to secure good marriages for their other children and grandchildren. Obvious criminality or mental illness in a family member are huge problems for the brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews of those affected. What the parents are doing is actually quite common in arranged marriage cultures where the criminal activity can no longer be hidden. These parents are no doubt upset for the victim as well, but their public renunciation of their sons is also attempting to salvage the reputation and marriage prospects of their other children.

The mother may indeed starve herself in shame, but it will also secure the future of her unmarried children if she makes some public atonement. This is a shame culture, not a guilt culture. These men's crimes do not merely have consequences for the criminals, but for innocent family members.

Yes, very much. These families are not well-to-do and if they want any hope of their other children being able to marry they must disown their sons using the strongest possible language. Not all marriages in India are arranged, but many still are to some extent, particularly among those of low income. Even with a love match or when a matchmaker is used there's still vetting/research on the other family to ensure that they have a suitable reputation for the marriage to proceed with the families' blessing. A high school classmate of mine had an arranged marriage in India and there was a 6+ month process that included this vetting process. He was perceived by her family as being an excellent catch because his family had emigrated to the US and were small business owners, even though by US income stratification they were lower middle class/working class at best. Still, both families used their contacts/friends to thoroughly vet the other family - ALL members included. Even one "black sheep" or family member who didn't toe the line could have derailed the entire match - a criminal/someone accused of a heinous crime would have been a major liability in the arranged marriage process.

I'm sure the parents are legitimately horrified by what has happened to the victim, and are questioning parenting decisions to see if they're somehow to blame for what their sons did. While sometimes a family/upbringing contributes to heinous crimes, sometimes good people raise kids who go bad. I won't assume that the families' distress and tears are all for show because I'm sure it has to be devastating to know one's child or sibling is capable of such horrible things.

India is a country in which women are still not valued among the majority of the populace. In Indian culture, it is perceived that girls will grow up to leave their families and will only cost money in a dowry, whereas boys are the ones who will take care of their parents in old age. We hear all the time about sex-selective abortion and male preference in China, but India's sex ratio is almost as skewed. In much of rural India, pregnant women are at risk of their husband or mother-in-law forcing them to have ultrasounds and to abort if the baby is a girl, if they have not yet produced sons (or "enough" sons). Infanticide of female newborns is also a problem. Simple neglect or getting less care than boys is also frequent; if a girl falls ill, her family may not take her to a doctor or buy medicine. There are public health campaigns targeted towards such families, emphasizing the value of having girls and appealing towards mothers to take care of and protect their daughters, but there is a lot of long-standing cultural inertia that devalues women and girls.

Same here. I am afraid they still have the patriarchal mindset, but seeing the masses turning on them, they are just scared shitless and blend in order to saving their asses from getting skinned raw. I wonder for how much crap they had covered for their son for? I'm not buying into fake tears of a family that raised a patriarchal, heartless rapist. IDGAFF. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Yeah, me, neither. These lads got caught in a very public way. Who knows what else they've done that's been covered up? These guys gang raped a young girl to death. Most of the country-hell, the world- knows who they are. But if there was no evidence, I can see the families covering up their sons' bad behavior and blaming the victim ("She never should have gotten on the bus...did you see what she was wearing?... No true virtuous woman would go there..."). One public tragedy isn't going to change an entire culture's mindset, much less a all of these families.

Yeah, me, neither. These lads got caught in a very public way. Who knows what else they've done that's been covered up? These guys gang raped a young girl to death. Most of the country-hell, the world- knows who they are. But if there was no evidence, I can see the families covering up their sons' bad behavior and blaming the victim ("She never should have gotten on the bus...did you see what she was wearing?... No true virtuous woman would go there..."). One public tragedy isn't going to change an entire culture's mindset, much less a all of these families.

So you both are saying that it has to be the parents fault that this guy raped someone and you don't care what they are saying you only care about your perceptions of patriarchy and your own ideas? Seriously? It can't be that these parents are genuinely horrified with what their son did? Just because they live in an area that holds true to certain ideas doesn't mean there aren't people in the area that genuinely despise such things.

What evidence do you both have of THIS family which backs up your statements? Not of the area, not of the culture, of THIS family.

Why? Who the heck allowed them to act like misogynistic jerks? Who? Their friggin families who were, very obviously, of the same kind. Who didn't educate them about women not being free to use sex items? Who forgot to raise their son into respectful men? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?! An entire gang of rapist murderers raised by an entire bunch of patriarchal cowards. I'll never buy their tears, they are just saving themselves. O.O And I still wonder what ELSE have preceded this event because quite obviously, this person had thought he could get away with anything. By the time you assume you can get away with raping woman on the street, you'll have to get away with a bunch of messed up shit that you do not get into trouble for. What else? What brings you to this point?

** JFYI I'm not a fortune teller. What do you want me to call this asshole's asshole parents? Rest assured, this brat grew up in a patriarchal household and probably was an apple of IT's father's eyes, who's probably of the same kind. And the mother of course, did shut up. Their ass is on fire, and all they do is trying to save face. They disown they son now that they have failed as parents. And I'll give a couple of weeks until someone spills the beans about this asshole to the media. It will be fun. :) Now bother someone else, you heard my answer.

So every guy who rapes ever in the whole world grew up in a Patriarchal environment? Even cultures which you would traditionally think is male orientated has exceptions. Seems a stretch to make an absolute.

Guest Anonymous
Why? Who the heck allowed them to act like misogynistic jerks? Who? Their friggin families who were, very obviously, of the same kind. Who didn't educate them about women not being free to use sex items? Who forgot to raise their son into respectful men? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?! An entire gang of rapist murderers raised by an entire bunch of patriarchal cowards. I'll never buy their tears, they are just saving themselves. O.O And I still wonder what ELSE have preceded this event because quite obviously, this person had thought he could get away with anything. By the time you assume you can get away with raping woman on the street, you'll have to get away with a bunch of messed up shit that you do not get into trouble for. What else? What brings you to this point?

** JFYI I'm not a fortune teller. What do you want me to call this asshole's asshole parents? Rest assured, this brat grew up in a patriarchal household and probably was an apple of IT's father's eyes, who's probably of the same kind. And the mother of course, did shut up. Their ass is on fire, and all they do is trying to save face. They disown they son now that they have failed as parents. And I'll give a couple of weeks until someone spills the beans about this asshole to the media. It will be fun. :) Now bother someone else, you heard my answer.

I think Blackhawk's questions probably reflected the thoughts of a few of us on the forum and he certainly has no need to go away and 'bother someone else' on my account. Nor is your answer the only valid one to a very complex situation.

Most of them, yes. Where else do you learn that women owe you sex or women are superior?! I blame the patriarchy. And people with patriarchal mindsets.

Again, how much shit do you have to get away with to bravely (cowardly) and fulfilled with confidence, attack and rape a woman in public eye?! Just how much? Ok, it's getting like a shark tank in here. Again, I'm waiting for reports on these folks because now that people will have the courage to speak up, we might hear some interesting stuff. I do not believe them and they failed raising a decent man. They have proven that one right. They failed. I had my say. I don't want to be like a broken record and I won't.

**boo hoo, people disagree. We'll see who's right. We're going to hear about these folks in the future.

So........I wonder if a horrific crime such as this changes the minds of those who oppose the death penalty, or is that a firmly held position only until a crime so egregious is committed? Are death penalty opponents then ok with that sentence?

So........I wonder if a horrific crime such as this changes the minds of those who oppose the death penalty, or is that a firmly held position only until a crime so egregious is committed? Are death penalty opponents then ok with that sentence?

Also, pretty much. Thank you for mentioning.

Most of them, yes. Where else do you learn that women owe you sex or women are superior?! I blame the patriarchy. And people with patriarchal mindsets.

Again, how much shit do you have to get away with to bravely (cowardly) and fulfilled with confidence, attack and rape a woman in public eye?! Just how much? Ok, it's getting like a shark tank in here. Again, I'm waiting for reports on these folks because now that people will have the courage to speak up, we might hear some interesting stuff. I do not believe them and they failed raising a decent man. They have proven that one right. They failed. I had my say. I don't want to be like a broken record and I won't.

**boo hoo, people disagree. We'll see who's right. We're going to hear about these folks in the future.

So no son of a single Mother ever raped, ever?

I'm not interested in who is right. I find that quite shocking. A young girl is dead whatever the circumstances. But I think your thinking is very narrow.

Archived