IGNORED

Why discuss past problems, like racism?

Love

OMG. this post by dear Lori is a head splitter. Normally I find her offensive, obnoxious and dim-witted. But this just takes the cake.

Lets flip it around and start our discuss with the scripture she quotes at the end of her post.

Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;

maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Psalm 82:3

I bolded the section about maintaining the rights of the poor and oppressed. Some might feel like women and black people have been opprssed and poor at some time in our recently history, but not LORI!

Here is her post. I warn you. It burns!

We sure are hearing a lot about "women's rights" right now and I think it is ridiculous. Women have more freedom in America right now than at any other time or any place in history. The only rights they seem to be concerned about is the right for women to have promiscuous sex with free protection {birth control} and the right to kill their unborn baby all paid by the government. THIS is women's rights?

Women can do almost anything they want right now. They can have careers, be in politics, fly airplanes and even fight in the military. They can have children and stay home if they want. Someday, there will probably even be a female president. Women have amazing freedoms in America today.

America is being called a racist country right now. Four years ago, we elected the first black president. We are not a racist country. Sure, there are people in our country that our racist. We will never be able to get rid of that completely but overall, blacks enjoy great freedoms in America, even having the ability to become president.

So I am not sure why some in our country want to bring up the women's rights and racist issues except to cause more division in our country. America has been an amazing country to live in. People from all over the world want to live here. There is no good purpose to bringing up phantom problems and making big deals of them causing anger and strife among the sexes and races.

Instead, why don't we bring up all the good things about America and dwell on the lovely, the pure, and the good instead. There is so much good about America. However, I will continue to bring up the true evils that abound in this country like abortion and divorce. Both of these have devastating consequences on children. I will continue to defend the helpless and weak. These are the issues we should be talking about, not past problems like women's rights and racism.

Link to post: lorialexander.blogspot.com/2012/10/womens-rights-and-racism.html

Guest Anonymous

Yes, of course. "We voted in a black president, therefore racism isn't really a thing anymore." It's like the macro version of "some of my best friends are black".

Oh, how I hate this whole racism doesn't exist.

Racism cannot be whiped out in a generation, or even several. It is too ingrained in out culture.

It still needs to be discussed.

Yes, of course. "We voted in a black president, therefore racism isn't really a thing anymore." It's like the macro version of "some of my best friends are black".

My favorite is "I know <#> black people."

Lori:

We sure are hearing a lot about "women's rights" right now and I think it is ridiculous. Women have more freedom in America right now than at any other time or any place in history. The only rights they seem to be concerned about is the right for women to have promiscuous sex with free protection {birth control} and the right to kill their unborn baby all paid by the government. THIS is women's rights?

Women can do almost anything they want right now. They can have careers, be in politics, fly airplanes and even fight in the military. They can have children and stay home if they want. Someday, there will probably even be a female president. Women have amazing freedoms in America today.

Yes - except a lot of that is not possible/made much more difficult if women cannot control getting pregnant.

There is no good purpose to bringing up phantom problems and making big deals of them causing anger and strife among the sexes and races.

Racism is not a phantom problem. Just because we don't still make blacks drink from another water fountain doesn't mean we've gotten over problems with racism.

Instead, why don't we bring up all the good things about America and dwell on the lovely, the pure, and the good instead. There is so much good about America. However, I will continue to bring up the true evils that abound in this country like abortion and divorce. Both of these have devastating consequences on children. I will continue to defend the helpless and weak. These are the issues we should be talking about, not past problems like women's rights and racism.

I... I don't even know where to start. Oh wait, yes I do!

Fuck you, Lori.

Just because someone has more rights than they've had in the past doesn't mean those rights are sufficient.

It's like if you're a Filipino maid in Saudi Arabia. Your Catholicism isn't respected because Saudi is basically a Muslim blueprint for what Lori and her ilk want for the US. So the government decides to impress the outside world by showing its tolerance for Christians and declares that not only can you have a church to pray in, but you'll also be allowed one religious holiday a year. Wow! Now, this church is going to be staffed by lackeys from government and the priest will be required to submit his sermons for censoring. He also won't be permitted to deliver communion. That religious holiday will only be given if your employers agree; should they disagree then you're sol. According to Lori, this is totes ok because these maids now have more rights than they've ever had in the past.

Obviously this is a bad analogy because Catholics are just as awful as Muslims and deserve no rights whatsoever, but, you know.

Reminds me of the old racist whom Molly Ivins quoted in one of her books: "Now that there's no more racism, what are the n*****s going to complain about now?"

Bitch has no clue.

Obviously she didn't look at the map when Obama was elected, because there was a clear Mason-Dixon demarcation line. I just can't. :hand:

Yes, women choosing to have abortions or birth control is part of having full rights for women, it's one of many concerns that "But you have the right to vote!" misogynists try to cover when they say we have the right to vote but no right to control our bodies because we're "killing babies".

Lori: . I will continue to defend the helpless and weak.

:lol: That's rich. I wish I had about an hour to quote examples of Lori "defending the helpless and the weak". Of course that's only if you consider white men to be "the helpless and the weak", because otherwise Lori pretty much spends her time trashing women and encouraging people to hit their children.

It's true that racism and sexism is not nearly the problem it was decades ago. That doesn't mean the problem is gone. Furthermore, I feel it marginalizes the very real discrimination women and blacks can still face today by calling it "phantom" problems. What Lori and many fundies don't realize is that defending the "helpless" and children means fighting for gender equality and fighting racism. If a women is allowed access to birth control, she is less likely to have abortions. If divorce is allowed, children can be protected against abusive homes. Black children are still disproportionately languishing in poverty. Not ignoring the very real issues that blacks still face could help lift millions of black children out of poverty. I'm not sure why Lori is so obsessed with protecting children when she obviously doesn't care much for them once their born.

This sort of goes along the line of the "if someone, somewhere, at any time is/has been worse off than you, you have no right to complain"-kind of reasoning that unfortunately seems to be rather prevalent right across the political and religious spectra.

Because even if racism and sexism only existed in the past - which they don't - there is still value in remembering past oppression so that we resolve to do better in the future.

Has Lori read Exodus, Chapter 23?

Exodus 23:9 says "You shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the feelings of the stranger, having yourselves been strangers in the land of Egypt". Exodus 23:15 goes on to talk about the need to have an annual festival to commemorate the exodus from Egypt.

We've come quite far from 150 years ago, when black people were enslaved, and Chinese and Irish people might as well have been, or even 50 years ago when black people were free but were prevented.from voting by any means possible and barred from certain colleges and government positions... And were sitting in the backs of buses and had to give up their seats to whites.

Let's not.even get started on how we've treated natives pretty much since Columbus landed his ships in the "West Indies".

Are things better? Yes. But they're still not as good as they are for whites.

And while things are.better for women as well, theyre not as good as they are for men now.

Of course this is all meaningless to fundies who believe white men are as close to god as anyone can get, but as a white Southerner raised southern Baptist that we still have a long way to go before anyone is truly equal to white men in this country.

This sort of goes along the line of the "if someone, somewhere, at any time is/has been worse off than you, you have no right to complain"-kind of reasoning that unfortunately seems to be rather prevalent right across the political and religious spectra.

That's true too. If you're not being traded like cattle or being pinned down while your genitals are getting slashed to bits sans anesthesia, you're not oppressed at all, because at least you can vote and.drive cars and stuff!

Just because we're better than some places doesn't mean we're perfect. Or, to steal from a favorite author, "Just because the other guy is drowning in shit, doesn't mean that stuff you're wading through is chocolate pudding."

Fuck you Lori!

Racism and sexism are a cancer in society, they require constant monitoring, and when found at the institutional level, wiping out. There is nothing that can be done to change an individual's mind if they a going to be a closed-minded ass; but at the very least society can have laws forbidding discrimination. The press, Internet, and anyone else who wants to can initiate open dialogue about the problems that the country still faces (racism, sexism, lack of factual sex education in schools, etc.)

Things can be better without being right yet.

Why is she talking about women in the third person?

Because she's no mere woman, she's a proper Titus 2 lady mentoring younger Christian ladies.

"Blacks enjoy great freedoms"

"Women have amazing freedoms"

So we should all just be happy with our great & amazing freedoms that the white menz with their complete freedom so kindly allow us to enjoy? :roll:

Yeah, and women got all those freedoms by sitting on their collective asses waiting for stuff to be handed to them :roll: It's not like there were people fighting and campaigning and agitating for social change in order to make it happen. Lori's lived through a lot more history than I have, she should be fully aware of what happens when people refuse to stand up for themselves and let the status quo continue. But then again, admitting that would require her to remove her head from her own ass...

She definetely has her head up to her ass. I get the feeling that most or all of the people she hangs out with are white Christians.

Just claiming racism and sexism no longer exist, makes you a racist and a sexist. Lori is just so filled with bigotry and misogyny. And her thinking skills are absolutely nil. I'm so glad she's no longer teaching impressionable children. She's an idiot.

Lori seems like a less hateful version of the Stinking Lousewife. The below quote pissed me off.

Yes, women can almost anything, but that doesn't mean that sexism doesn't exist. I doubt that Lori has ever had a conservation with a female pilot or a female military member. Talk to women from both of those fields and they will have stories of sexism. Sexism in the medical community among physicians is common. If the first female president of the U.S. is a Democrat, we all know Lori and her ilk will hate that.

The day I stop hearing racist, sexist, and ethnic slurs will be the day I will even remotely consider that those "past problems" are actually part of the past. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon, especially in today's political climate.

Archived