IGNORED

Botkin Beauty webinar week 3-meh..

meda

They recommend T tapp for an exercise program. Of course, this is the only one they have tried, so they can't make a comparison.

And......sunscreen is bad. Be outside between 10 and 2 for vitamin d....but somehow don't get a sun burn

Oh brother. I'm so pale that if I don't use sunscreen I'll burn to a crisp within 15 minutes and the Botkins look pretty fair-skinned to me. I wonder how they avoid sunburn when they're "taking air" every afternoon for their complexions. :roll:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just tried to imagine swishing coconut oil round my mouth instead of using toothpaste and now I feel a little ill.

Wouldn't your moth be left with an oily residue and taste? And if you've been using it for sex it's probably not what hubby wants to taste on your breath.

lol. Coconut oil is the latest panacea. Well, I don't know if it's the latest really, 'cause essential oils are the cure-all I'm seeing most right now.

But yeah, coconut oil is fabulous for everything from cooking ("good fats!!!!") to personal lube, so they say.

It seems slightly irrational to use it as sun *screen*, though.

We've found it great for dry crackly skin in the winter. But that's about it. I can't even use it as a pre-wash conditioner for my hair. It makes it wonderfully soft, but it also smells very funky in combination with my personal body chemistry. Hopefully the baby won't have that problem because she is going to have super-curly hair and I'd rather use coconut oil if I can than chemical conditioners.

In defense of coconut oil: The cool Jamaican IT guy was fixing my phone today, and I complimented him on his aftershave. He said it wasn't aftershave, it was coconut oil lotion with lavender. Must find some: I have very dry skin and his lotion smelled heavenly.

They really did just use google.

Just FYI Freejingers...stay hydrated.

Also, sugar is very bad for you skin. Also, avoid fad diets, but remember, always think about your weight.

Thin is not the goal, healthy and strong to be help meets.

Being depressed and emotional is not a good excuse for over eating. Don't worry about other people, worry about whether other people think you have self control and discipline.

They do acknowledge that some people are over weight because of thyroid or a "toxic liver"

Oh, worry about this....not not too much.

What a load of tripe. If the goal is to be healthy and strong, and not thin, why do you have to always think about your weight?

Also: I am so weary of people who think "Google" or "the Internet" is a source. My students seem to think this also. This is like students in 1995 citing their sources as "library." Gah! Drives me batshit bonkers.

Their yearly budget would barely get me through one season at the Chanel counter. Clearly, I'm not their target market.

Anyone else putting together their grocery list for tomorrow?

I have a 25 pound bucket of coconut oil. It's for soap making though. I cannot imagine rubbing it on myself or trying to use it as lube. It's solid and I have to scoop it out or use a knife to cut off chucks of it. Nothing says sexy time quite like cutting a wedge of fat out of a bucket.

Also: I am so weary of people who think "Google" or "the Internet" is a source. My students seem to think this also. This is like students in 1995 citing their sources as "library." Gah! Drives me batshit bonkers.

As I like to tell my library patrons - the Internet is a mile wide and an inch deep.

I know somebody who is working on their PHD in human dietetics & he says there isn't enough evidence to substantiate claims being made about the health benefits of coconut oil. However there other oils with more proven health benefits.

Regarding using it on skin. Its acnegenic, so whilst it might be okay for somebody 25+, the teenagers I assume this webinar is aimed at will probably end up with breakouts. It can also have the reverse effect of what you would expect from oil & dry your skin out.

Coconut oil on hair, Jojoba or rosehip on face & body is a much better idea.

each get everything they need (clothes, shoes, hair care, accessories, cosmetics, etc.) for around $130 a year

I'm also in my late 20s, not married & no mortgage yet. I cannot imagine having $130 a year for all of my clothing, hair & beauty needs at this age. Let alone not having my 'own' money. What sort of a life is that? It seems like they are eternally 16 years old. My parents are reasonably well off, but I can't imagine asking them for money/having to live off their income esp. as they near retirement unless I was very ill. These girls need REAL jobs, so they can afford a weekly massage, trips to europe & uhh independence!

:shock: Is there anything they DON'T use coconut oil for?

Apparently coconut oil is the new breastmilk. Just you wait, someone's going to recommend squirting it in your eye to cure pink eye.

I have to jump in and defend coconut oil here! I use it for everything and love it!

I have dry and sensitive skin that easily breaks out and I also have peri-oral dermatitis. I read somewhere that coconut oil can "cure" PD so I started to clean my face with coconut oil (oil cleansing method). My skin is a lot clearer now, two pimples in two months and my PD is almost gone.

I also use it as a body moisturizer, for cooking and I take a teaspoon of oil in my tea every day. My cats love it too and lick the outside of the can.

Just make sure that you get the cold pressed virgin oil when you buy it.

Swishing the mouth with oil is an ayurvedic remedy to remove toxins, I think. I have only tried it with sesame oil and it sort of dissolved in the mouth. I wasn't left with a greasy feeling. I don't have the patience to swish my mouth for five minutes every morning though so I gave it up.

Meda, tell me you didn't pay for this tripe?

Coconut oil is great as a body lotion (I use jojoba oil on my face). My friend likes to mix different oils to use as moisturizers. Coconut oil is pretty good for cooking, I found that's what feels the most like butter if I sauté some veggies in.

lol. Coconut oil is the latest panacea. Well, I don't know if it's the latest really, 'cause essential oils are the cure-all I'm seeing most right now.

But yeah, coconut oil is fabulous for everything from cooking ("good fats!!!!") to personal lube, so they say.

We've found it great for dry crackly skin in the winter. But that's about it. I can't even use it as a pre-wash conditioner for my hair. It makes it wonderfully soft, but it also smells very funky in combination with my personal body chemistry. Hopefully the baby won't have that problem because she is going to have super-curly hair and I'd rather use coconut oil if I can than chemical conditioners.

My sister sent my brother, who is my father's caretaker, a ginormous plastic jar full of coconut oil, plus some other oil in a brown bottle. This is to help treat dad's early-stage Alzheimer's. My brother is using the coconut oil (not sure about the oil in the bottle), but he's not stopping dad's Alzheimer's meds either.

I think it's all woo, but I don't see any harm in a teaspoon of coconut oil every morning in dad's oatmeal. The notion of using coconut oil for lube...do you want to smell like a coconut macaroon after sex?

ETA: Snopes gives a thumbs' down to the idea that coconut oil is an effective treatment for Alzheimer's: http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/coconutoil.asp

I'm really surprised that the Botkins didn't talk about essential oils, especially since another member of fundie royalty, Stacy McDonald, is obsessed with them and goes on and on about oils on her blog. We have medical professionals in my family and they think the essential oils are just a fad. So, we snark on it a lot at my house... good times. I'm surprised the Botkins haven't become essential oil dealers to start milking money from fans like Stacy does.

For some reason all this hype about coconut oil reminds me of the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding whose cure for everything was Windex.

"Put some coconut oil on it."

I love coconut oil. I use the unscented kind as a hair conditioner, both mixed with my regular conditioner and as a leave-in for my ends and to stop it from being frizzy. It also makes a decent lip balm, and I have some I mixed with the kind of lipstick you apply with a brush to make sort of a tinted moisturizing balm. I have also used it on my face and it helped my skin when I was doing the whole "oil cleansing method" thing - I was skeptical, but my grandmother used vaseline and had beautiful skin so maybe it's the same type of thing. It also works pretty good as a lubricant to put on inner thighs to help with "chub rub" and for chafing during triathlon and long runs or bike rides and, yes, it works as a sexual lube as well (think Crisco).

I haven't gotten on the whole bandwagon of eating raw oil every day, because eww, but I do use it occasionally for cooking and have used it in some paleo recipes for fudge and things like that (those are good with the regular scented/flavored kind, but I love coconut so YMMV).

I think it's all woo, but I don't see any harm in a teaspoon of coconut oil every morning in dad's oatmeal. The notion of using coconut oil for lube...do you want to smell like a coconut macaroon after sex?

And if you're Jewish, do you want to be reminded of Passover every time you fuck? :?

Thanks for the play-by-play, meda. I'm shocked -- shocked! -- that they never seriously attempted to "reclaim beauty" as advertised.

So they did mention essential oils repeatedly, and rattled off a list that was supposedly good for skin are. The whole time they kept saying "we have heard from others" or "on google they said" about everything. They said nothing substantive or gave any concrete advice on beauty and grooming. It really was bunch of blather and nonsense, to the point where the audacity of these two to market this as a paid webinar is really stunning.

Week one, I could see as introductory fluff, but now that it's week three, what is the excuse? I don't understand how all the patriarchs and their daughters who ponied up $44 for this don't feel ripped off. I also don't see how these grifters will be able to fill 6 more hours of airtime with nothing. Unlike the marriage seminar, where the 6 people speaking could fill time with anecdotes, these two are on their own, and the result is painful.

Did they not write out a proper outline? I know that might smack of education and scholarly pursuits but there is a reason for coming up with an outline and topic plan for each segment including writing out on note cards the topics and key points they wish to discuss. It's called a presentation. With a bit of effort they probably could have made this sort of worthwhile for those that paid.

Archived