IGNORED

Only Christian chaplains are am appropriate use of taxpayer$

holierthanyou

This is just too much wtf for me.

As a Canadian, I disagree with pretty much everything Vic Toews does or says, and this one is no exception... Non-Christian chaplains in prisons are not "an appropriate use of taxpayer money"???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/04/bc-non-christian-prison-chaplains-cancelled.html?cmp=rss

So far as I can understand his fuckwittery, the argument seems to be that since over half of all prisoners identify as Christian, then only Christian chaplains are needed.

Just to get his pants in a twist, I'd like to question him as to what sort of dangerous teachings does this so called Christian religion have, since that religion seems to be filling up over half of our prisons.

Perhaps it would be a more appropriate use of taxpayer's money to fund only full time Jewish or Sikh chaplains (the Christians can go ask them for spiritual advice still, just like everyone else is expected to do now), given that they both represent less than 1% of the prison population....

Whaa? Is the fundie fuckwittery spreading north of the border?

Well, as we can see from things like Mark Driscoll's... unique interpretation of the Purim story, Christians are perfectly capable of ministering to Jews. Why, Judaism is just Christianity with less Jesus!

Is this even legal? It seems like it would be grounds for a giant lawsuit if there are laws protecting freedom of religion.

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms comes to mind.

I just can't even imagine the right-wing response if it was discovered that 99% of all "inter-faith" chaplains in our nation's institutions were Muslim, and that poor Christian men and women were being forced to be 'indoctrinated' by Muslim Imams if the person wanted spiritual guidance (or a Christian response to the dilemma they are facing).

Honestly, can you imagine the hollering and outrage about how ridiculous THAT would be?!?

I really can't wrap my head around this kind of stupid. If non-Christian chaplains are a waste of tax payer money, then so are Christian chaplains. How can someone survive in Canada if they have such a problem with other religions...

I say get rid of them all and use contracted chaplains who volunteer. But Vic Toews is a douchebag of epic proportions.

I haven't even been able to bring myself to read about this. Socially conservative Canadian MPs have all chosen the same time to spew their racist, misogynistic, transphobic bullshit and I don't even know who to be mad at anymore. First there was the intellectual diarrhea that is Stephen Woodworth. Then Rona Ambrose and Mark Warawa started repeating anti-choice talking points without regard for whether they applied to the things they were talking about, like broken robots or something. Then Rob Anders opened his stupid transphobic mouth... Vic Toews is an idiot, though, I hope this comes back and bites him.

I kinda hoped this minor storm of offensive MPs would wake people up and make them thing "hey some of our MPs are genuinely horrible people, maybe I should put more thought into who I vote for". I they go far enough, they'll push Canadians to vote on social issues, and they will get their asses handed to them. Canadians voted for the socially liberal party with an economical policy that they found comforting - if these asses want to stay in Parliament they're gonna need to keep the mask on.

Aaaand Stephen Woodworth is at it again: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/10/05 ... reloaded=1

He would be among the people who bring "ex-gay therapy" to Canada. Here's hoping this bites him in the ass.

FFS, K-W! Why did you vote in this asshole? What is scary is that this guy used to be a Liberal. Idek...

Archived