IGNORED

Are they in with chick tracts?

slh12280

Meh. Too much text, did not read. Chick tracts have PICTURES. :lol:

Confession: I sometimes read Chick tracts online for the sole purpose of feeling better about myself. Neither do I write that crap nor do I believe it.

Confession: I sometimes read Chick tracts online for the sole purpose of feeling better about myself. Neither do I write that crap nor do I believe it.

Me, too. I started because I thought I could use the evolution ones to strengthen my own arguments. Then I realized they were moronic and based on some understanding of "evolution." not the real thing.

To me, Chick tracts will always be the fucked up standard :lol: At least they're entertaining in a warped way.

The only time I was ever given any was during Halloween years ago. The couple passing them out were sitting on their porch, where they had set of a TV/VCR which played a reenactment of Jesus' crucifixion on a loop. Along with the tract, the couple allowed us to take a Hostess cupcake (orange frosted) and a bunch of candy.

My sister and I just sort of backed away slowly . . .

I was thinking the same!

I remember as a kid getting really angry that women weren't allowed to be preachers and actively questioned why. I was never given an answer and my parents were informed to keep me quiet and not to question anything. Didn't stop me though.

I was given my first chick tract about a month ago. While leaving a farmer's market in a very liberal area a woman handed something to me. I smiled and didn't realize what it was until I got home. It was all about how being sexually abused causes people to be homosexual and then they are evil. Every week since then the area's been blanketed with people supporting marriage equality so hopefully they've scared the chick tract people away.

The fundie churches I grew up in were all about Chick Tracts and, lamely enough, one of them helped rope me back into fundiedumb as a young adult. I've always found them tacky and full of wtfery and bullshit, but I was looking for something and took at as some sort of sign at the time.

As far as the Liberty Tracts site, it's not affiliated with Chick, but with the same type of churches. When desktop publishing software and color printers became readily available, a few enterprising fundies decided a DIY tract "ministry was the way to go. There are bunches of these, usually a small in home operation with either a desktop printer or small press and a website. They can sell the tracts but also solicit support from churches as a ministry or missionary endeavor. Apparently, you can make a living that way.

Stupid is as stupid does.... only WOMEN ask "teaching questions?" How about how the men manipulating? (on the one about women pastors).

DRUMS???? God doesn't like DRUMS????: Have they not read the psalms about playing timbrel, harp and drums ???

and am I the only dirty mind that laughed at http://www.libertygospeltracts.com/tracts/bigone/bigone.htm ?

The first time I got a Chick tract and saw all those nasty caricatures/stereotypes, it had to be ceremonially burned in the backyard. I can read them know, but they still bring up that original visceral loathing.

One of my friends was given one of those when doing door to door sales once. She just tossed it in the car, and I picked it up and read it. Holy heck it was SUPER creepy! It was talking about Sodom and Gomorrah, and indicated that homosexuals were molesting children all the time... I was like, really? I read the whole thing just so I could say I did, and then tossed it in the trash pile.

I saw this the other day and almost posted it here. I want to print them out and make a decoupage notebook. That's so wrong though. I'm going to do it anyway. I'm thinking about making one out of the tattoo one for my tattoo artist for Christmas.

I was given my first chick tract about a month ago. While leaving a farmer's market in a very liberal area a woman handed something to me. I smiled and didn't realize what it was until I got home. It was all about how being sexually abused causes people to be homosexual and then they are evil. Every week since then the area's been blanketed with people supporting marriage equality so hopefully they've scared the chick tract people away.

I've never seen a chick tract IRL, and I find them fascinating. I almost want to be handed one out of total curiosity, but I don't think I ever will be around here. I don't get how something like that convinces people of anything. It has to be even less effective than door to door evangelicals, and those are never effective unless someone is halfway convinced already. I also don't get how anyone who's ever actually met a homosexual person can believe the one you mentioned. A lot of the ones I've seen no one who lives in the real world and interacts with a variety of people for purposes other than converting them would ever be convinced. I imagined they'd work less in even more diverse areas. I've always found the pictures weird.

Before I started posting on FJ I had never heard of a Chick Tract, and had to Google what they were.

Archived