IGNORED

Probably a bad homeschooling situation

kpmom

I saw this post on a Christian homeschooling forum I like lurk on.

From what I can gather from the post, it is written about a single dad who is homeschooling his 6 children, aged 13 and under.

Actually, it appears there is a 24 year old sister on whom the homeschooling actually falls, as Dad works full time.

The post is written by a friend of this family, who has been asked to help homeschool this brood once a week. Poster is all for it, and thinks it'll be a blessing to her, her kids, and the single dad's kids.

She's concerned that there does not appear to be any lesson plans these kids are working on.

If she really wants to help, she can suggest single dad put the kids in public school, get the kids a real education, and let the 24 year old get on with her life.

Why do some people insist on homeschooling when it is clearly not the way to go?

I shudder at the education these six kids are NOT getting.

Here's the link to the discussion;

chfweb.com/index.php?t=msg&th=81659&start=0&S=72c93dcdd32a91a1aaa5907a867bd16c

Homeschooling isnt for everyone, and it shouldnt be up to siblings and family friends to homeschool the kids, its the parents job. If there isnt a parent at home to do the homeschooling, then the kids should go to school.

I read those posts. At no point was there any discussion of the children's needs. It was, what can we do to enable this behavior? *headdesk*

I read those posts. At no point was there any discussion of the children's needs. It was, what can we do to enable this behavior? *headdesk*

Thankfully, this woman doesn't have any other commitments -- well, besides teaching seven children of her own:

"[Her children] and my children are good friends. It sure will make for a busy house, with 13 children. I don't presently have other commitments, so that isn't much of a worry."

:shifty:

There's very little to go on, but I wonder how much other work the sister is doing. I am also curious why he is a single dad.

Let me hazard a guess or two. One: mom lost it from having to homeschool six kids and is currently a special guest of a locked facility. Two: mom lost it from having to homeschool six kids and walked out on the marriage. Three: mom is deceased due to dying in childbirth with number six or an unmentioned number seven.

Take your pick.

Let me hazard a guess or two. One: mom lost it from having to homeschool six kids and is currently a special guest of a locked facility. Two: mom lost it from having to homeschool six kids and walked out on the marriage. Three: mom is deceased due to dying in childbirth with number six or an unmentioned number seven.

Take your pick.

These kids are lucky Andrea Yates wasn't their mother. I know the state isn't going to involve itself in these situations but I really question how some of this stuff isn't neglect or abuse.

I am somewhat doubtful that this was a typical divorce, if all the kids are still with the dad. I would think either the father is widowed or the mother is somehow kept away from her kids. I also wonder about the big age difference between the oldest daughter and all the rest. Was she from a different relationship or was this is a vasectomy reversal. There's nothing to go on so this is complete speculation, but I also wonder if there is some kind of emotional incest between the father and the oldest daughter. She is basically in the exact position of a mother and probably wife because I doubt the father cooks for himself or his children. I have no idea how long he has been single, but I am curious why he's not remarried yet if he is actually a fundie.

I find it hard to believe this is legal. In my state, (Nevada, which is pretty easy but not as easy as Alaska or Texas to homeschool in) you can only homeschool your own children. If you have anyone else doing it, they have to be a licensed teacher.

I find it hard to believe this is legal. In my state, (Nevada, which is pretty easy but not as easy as Alaska or Texas to homeschool in) you can only homeschool your own children. If you have anyone else doing it, they have to be a licensed teacher.

If you read the board, the people responding are aware of the problematic nature of educating someone else's kids at home--and have ways to get around it. So much for following the law of the land.

One of the posters wrote this;

"What a blessing you will be to this family once a week! We all need a break and for a single parent, how much more so. May the Lord bless you in this."

While it's not completely clear, it looks like it's the 24 y/o daughter who is supposed to do the teaching, not poor old single parent dad, who works full time during the day.

And it also looks like Dad doesn't have a clue as the OP mentioned there are no lesson plans, and consequently the 24 y/o doesn't/can't help them with their lessons.

So, what exactly do these kids do all day? Workbooks?

One of the posters wrote this;

"What a blessing you will be to this family once a week! We all need a break and for a single parent, how much more so. May the Lord bless you in this."

While it's not completely clear, it looks like it's the 24 y/o daughter who is supposed to do the teaching, not poor old single parent dad, who works full time during the day.

And it also looks like Dad doesn't have a clue as the OP mentioned there are no lesson plans, and consequently the 24 y/o doesn't/can't help them with their lessons.

So, what exactly do these kids do all day? Workbooks?

Videos. Bible stories or something.

Archived