IGNORED

GOPer claims disability punishment for abortion

Rosa

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04512.html

Now he's claiming his statements have been shortened and taken out of context and that's why people are angry. The article quotes about 2 paragraphs and they're pretty bad. What's interesting to me is that his assertions aren't being countered on truthfulness or basic cause and effect knowledge, but on offensiveness - they ARE offensive but also he wants to defund PP based on his mistaken thinking that God causes disability in children born to mothers who previously had abortions. He wants to legislate based on a completely wrong understanding of how the world works.

Guest Anonymous

So, God would be so offended that woman had an abortion, that he would disable a child just to punish her? That doesn't even make sense. It doesn't even make sense! (Yes, I meant to repeat that).

Also, his little "clarification"?

Marshall said his broader point on Thursday was that he had collected a substantial amount of published medical research suggesting that abortions raise the risk of miscarriage and birth defects in subsequent pregnancies and that those findings echoed the Bible's teaching that abortion is wrong.

That's no different from what people thought he was saying the first time around. That's why they were angry with him!

Oh God, the stupid it fucking burns!

Why? Why? Why, are these morons who lack an 8th-grader's understanding of any science EVER trying to draft public policy in my fucking country!?! Grrrrr....

The big thump you heard was my head hitting the desk.

Sure, what people thought he said was offensive. That's because the whole notion of quoting the Bible in a political debate, and then suggesting that problems in subsequent pregnancies must be a divine punishment, is offensive.

I get that he doesn't want people thinking that he doesn't support people with disabilities. If he has gone against his own party in the past to vote for increased funding for autism services, good for him - at least at that moment in time, he wasn't being an asshole. When he made the speech to get rid of Planned Parenthood funding and tried to shame women who had abortions by making religious arguments and misusing medical studies to imply divine retribution, he was being an asshole.

BTW, I know logic doesn't really play a role in his argument, but logically, wouldn't a D&C for a missed miscarriage carry the same risks as an elective abortion?

Blaming the victim--not just for rape anymore.

This reminds me of a conversation online with people claiming that abortion causes breast cancer. When someone commented that plenty of women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer have never had an abortion, someone responded, "Women are usually reluctant to talk about their past sins." I bet he'd make the same comment if someone talked about all of the women with disabled children who never had an abortion.

Marshall said his broader point on Thursday was that he had collected a substantial amount of published medical research suggesting that abortions raise the risk of miscarriage and birth defects in subsequent pregnancies and that those findings echoed the Bible's teaching that abortion is wrong.

1. Cite a non-partisan, peer-reviewed study with a large sample size, or it never happened. Hint--it didn't.

2. The Bible DOES NOT SAY A WORD about abortion, much less whether or not it is wrong.

Needs to be voted out of office. I've never had an abortion...however I DO have a disabled child. The reason I left Christianity behind? One of my close friends said "God gave you a child with a disability because of sin in your life..." Seventeen years later, nothing has changed.

The child in question will be 19 next week. She is Samurai Kitten's fraternal twin.

ETA: Bad things sometimes happen to good people. Has nothing to do with their morals. To presume otherwise is a huge logic fail.

The Republican party has lost its marbles. Really, this isn't conservatism, isn't even recognizable as such. It is just whackjob crazy.

This. I know some Republicans IRL who are ashamed of what the party has become, but they won't become nonpartisan because they still hope it will return to what it once was. Still, they don't vote along party lines at all, and are basically Republican because that's what it says on the voter rolls.

This. I know some Republicans IRL who are ashamed of what the party has become, but they won't become nonpartisan because they still hope it will return to what it once was.

The only way that party is going to change is if people leave it in droves. Like no one votes for them anymore and tells them why: Y'all have aligned yourselves with the religious right. Erase them from the party and we'll talk.

The only way that party is going to change is if people leave it in droves. Like no one votes for them anymore and tells them why: Y'all have aligned yourselves with the religious right. Erase them from the party and we'll talk.

^ this. I talk to people all the time who say that, even though they're Republicans, they're not anti-gay and they're pro-choice and et cetera. But if you vote for the politicans who are anti-gay and pro-life and et cetera, the end result is still the same. If people don't support this, they need to make that heard loud and clear.

Oh for fuck's sake, I can't even start to count the ways this is offensive. I've just been slammed over the head with things in the Bible about disability and then this shit?

*stalks off in incoherent rage*

Cite a non-partisan, peer-reviewed study with a large sample size, or it never happened. Hint--it didn't.

I'm so going to start using "Cite a non-partisan, peer-reviewed study with a large sample size or GTFO".

Why can't the GOP own their crap up/admit they were? Obama does. He proved to republicans that he was born in Hawaii; and admitted to not being able to speak Spanish as a 2nd language; (for when he suggested that more American children need to be exposed to different languages). How come the republicans can never own up/admit that they were wrong? And when Obama admits he made a mistake, they critize him; like the president is supposed to be eternal President Kim-Jong God; doing everything for everyone at once so that everybody is happy. What's the point of Congress and equal voting by the people without republicans cheating the time slots to get more voters; then? (Please point out anything wrong.) :evil: I'm done with my angry ranting.

My husband has made this point before. He's a biologist and is doing research on a genetic disease. After all his years in the lab, all the tests and assays and junk that he's run, none of the results have pointed to sin as the cause of this disease. Shocking, right?

I mean, really. Disease/medical problems are sin? Are old people just extra, extra sinful, then? I should've asked that frail old lady across from in the doctor's office today what the fuck she did wrong, because living to 90 isn't at all a reason for your body to break down, apparently.

This. I know some Republicans IRL who are ashamed of what the party has become, but they won't become nonpartisan because they still hope it will return to what it once was. Still, they don't vote along party lines at all, and are basically Republican because that's what it says on the voter rolls.

I was like that for a while, but this past year has been the tipping point for me. My husband is pretty close to it as well. Keep in mind we were the type that thought the Tea Party was becoming too moderate when they began endorsing Sarah Palin, but the combination of anti-gay and anti-woman rhetoric and initiatives over the past year has been too much. I'm going to be canvassing for Obama this year and my husband is seriously considering voting for him, which will be a first.

God is a horrible parent. people take his advice on how to raise children but god himself punishes randomly and never tells the person he punishes why he did it. He punishes whole groups of people but never lets them know why. But I guess that's why he hires people like WBC to be his mouthpiece :roll:

Guest Anonymous
God is a horrible parent. people take his advice on how to raise children but god himself punishes randomly and never tells the person he punishes why he did it. He punishes whole groups of people but never lets them know why. But I guess that's why he hires people like WBC to be his mouthpiece :roll:

And He allows the Pearls to do what they do without felling them both with lightning.

Why can't the GOP own their crap up/admit they were? Obama does. He proved to republicans that he was born in Hawaii; and admitted to not being able to speak Spanish as a 2nd language; (for when he suggested that more American children need to be exposed to different languages). How come the republicans can never own up/admit that they were wrong? And when Obama admits he made a mistake, they critize him; like the president is supposed to be eternal President Kim-Jong God; doing everything for everyone at once so that everybody is happy. What's the point of Congress and equal voting by the people without republicans cheating the time slots to get more voters; then? (Please point out anything wrong.) :evil: I'm done with my angry ranting.

I have seemingly intelligent friends who are Republican. I was shocked (shouldn't be, they are Republican and probably racist to boot) when they still wanted to argue the birther position, even after he produced his Certificate of Live Birth.

My husband left the party officially very recently. I think this is the only way to change the political tone lately. Do I wish we had proper right and left parties? Of course I do. But we have centrist and far, far right. The only way to fix it in my opinion is to abandon the far right, let it fizzle out, and eventually the Democrats will split into right and left factions.

I went through this several years ago and I still tend to think of myself as a fiscal conservative. But Democrats are far less spendy than the Republicans and they are *RIGHT* on social issues.

On Saturday I was in NYC walking back from class to catch my train when I passed one of several young woman who were working for Planned Parenthood. Thanks in no small part to things I've learned on FJ (I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!) I signed up for an ongoing monthly donation. I decided that each month's donation would be made in honor of whatever narrow-minded, bigoted, intolerant assclown pissed me off the most.

Well, congratulations Del. Marshall! You're this month's winner. Planned Parenthood thanks you!

The stupidity, it burns.

You guys, I just found out this was dated 2010. I thought since it popped up on my facebook today it was new. I'm sorry.

HOWEVER he is still in office in Virginia.

Here is his list of bills passed, from his own web page:

http://delegatebob.com/legislation

Protect financial and ID on Virginia driver’s license (2009)

Virginia Commission on Immigration (2007)

One man, one woman Marriage Amendment approved by voters (2006)

Small Business State contract bids streamlined (2006)

Steroid Use by Public School Athletes prohibited (2005)

Partial Birth Infanticide Abortions banned (2003)

School – Road Construction bids must be disclosed (2003)

Conflict of Interest Laws for Public Officials & Zoning Boards tightened (2003)

National Motto, “In God We Trust,†posted in all Public Schools (2002)

Tractor-trailers on I-66 & I-495 banned in Left Lanes (2000), and on most Virginia Interstates (1997)

Sexually Explicit material on State Computers prohibited (1996)

Counseling for Effects of Divorce on Children authorized (1995)

I was like that for a while, but this past year has been the tipping point for me. My husband is pretty close to it as well. Keep in mind we were the type that thought the Tea Party was becoming too moderate when they began endorsing Sarah Palin, but the combination of anti-gay and anti-woman rhetoric and initiatives over the past year has been too much. I'm going to be canvassing for Obama this year and my husband is seriously considering voting for him, which will be a first.

I'm going to be doing a lot of canvassing in NC (this next weekend and other times) so maybe we'll run into each other.

Sexually Explicit material on State Computers prohibited (1996)

How would that work? *confused* There must be people who work for the state government etc who need to see or read sexually explicit stuff as part of their jobs, and one presumes they would use the computers provided.

Archived