IGNORED

My Fundie-lite Cousin is Not Purposeful Enough

Ralar

My fundie-lite cousin (her husband is a Methodist minister) works at a Christian college (a for-profit, crappy school that is accredited, but among the least selective colleges around, probably like a community college). For many months the VP that oversees admissions has been talking to her about a promotion. She is currently doing the work of 2 full-time employees and is paid much less than the going rate for her job (she returned to the workforce a few years ago, after being a SAHM for 14 years). Anyhow, the VP has had several meetings with her and told her he will be posting a new job, created especially for her. Fast forward to this week. The job was posted and pretty-much offered to her. There's only one problem, the job entails many additional duties but no additional compensation. Her "promotion" consists of a title only, no salary increase!

The VP commented that she didn't seem excited and wasn't she interested in the promotion. She told him that she'd be interested if the job came with a salary increade to bring it to market value (approx $14,000 increase). His response: "You are not taking your ministry very seriously!" :shock:

She told me, "That's BS, my ministry is with my church!" I asked if she told him that and she said no. :sad:

Needless to say, my cousin (fondly referred to as The Church Lady) is formulating her exit plan.

This wouldn't happen to be a college located in, say, Arizona, would it?

No, the college is located in Tennessee.

I'm glad my cousin is working on an exit plan, but I wish she would have told the asshat that HIS for-profit college is not her ministry.

I'm glad my cousin is working on an exit plan, but I wish she would have told the asshat that HIS for-profit college is not her ministry.

Ugh...it would be in Tennessee. My state just has too much crazy in it.

His for-profit company -- in fact, any for-profit company -- is not a ministry at all.

I would tell him, "I feel Jesus calling me elsewhere." Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Loser.

Good for her. I hope she gets the courage to give him a piece of her mind before she leaves. There's no way Jesus would be cool with him pressuring your cousin into doing free labour for him, let alone in His name.

Archived