IGNORED

Modest Beach Clothing: Face-kinis

0 kids n not countin

They're about tan prevention, not modesty though.

yes because you don't want to be thought of as a peasant. But why not a strong sunscreen? much more comfortable.

They're about tan prevention, not modesty though.

Don't give the fundies ideas though.

Those are really creepy. Isn't a big floppy sun hat and some sunscreen a better idea?

Yikes! It looks like those compression masks burn survivors wear.

Or the guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Either way, not a look that will catch on

yes because you don't want to be thought of as a peasant. But why not a strong sunscreen? much more comfortable.

You may still start tanning after a while, even with seriously strong sunscreen. I usually use factor 50+, but after a week at the beach, I get tanned. By "tanned", I mean "not as deathly pale as I am at the end of a Scottish winter". I suspect they're trying to avoid even that. Well, as long as they don't try to make it a law that I have to wear one, I'm not bothered. I'll stick to my hats and sunscreen though.

I'm wondering if they would even be legal here. Down here in the south... wearing masks in public is a no no

Crimes and Offenses,16-11-38.

(a) A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he wears a mask, hood, or device by which any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer and is upon any public way or public property or upon the private property of another without the written permission of the owner or occupier of the property to do so.

(b) This Code section shall not apply to: (1) A person wearing a traditional holiday costume on the occasion of the holiday; (2) A person lawfully engaged in trade and employment or in a sporting activity where a mask is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer, or because of the nature of the occupation, trade, or profession, or sporting activity; (3) A person using a mask in a theatrical production including use in Mardi gras celebrations and masquerade balls; or (4) A person wearing a gas mask prescribed in emergency management drills and exercises or emergencies.

edited to add code section

Ok, when I first read the title of the article, for some reason I thought they were wearing full head masks and nothing else... I wondered what that had to do with modesty.

But in seriousness, that is a bit much. Why go out in the sun?

Or not... Sunscreen, no matter how weak or strong, and no matter how hypoallergenic, is a painful experience for me. Literally. It feels like the stuff is burning my skin off. Plus, it just plain does. Not. Work! Buy the strongest sunscreen possible, put up with the pain and I still end up red, sore and eventually peeling.

You may still start tanning after a while, even with seriously strong sunscreen. I usually use factor 50+, but after a week at the beach, I get tanned. By "tanned", I mean "not as deathly pale as I am at the end of a Scottish winter". I suspect they're trying to avoid even that. Well, as long as they don't try to make it a law that I have to wear one, I'm not bothered. I'll stick to my hats and sunscreen though.

The last time I used SPF 50, after 4 hours (three of which were spent in the shade) I was so sun burnt it was all I could do to lay flat on the floor with nothing on (not even a blanket) just to sleep.

The last time I used SPF 50, after 4 hours (three of which were spent in the shade) I was so sun burnt it was all I could do to lay flat on the floor with nothing on (not even a blanket) just to sleep.

I used to have a similar issue until I tried pure zinc oxide sunscreen (no other active ingredients). Have you ever tried that?

Ouch! And there I thought that I had it bad. I feel your pain. I'm one of those people who burn quickly, and end up with a lovely tan, but I do my best not to burn. That's just painful. "Ouch" again for you. :(

I used to have a similar issue until I tried pure zinc oxide sunscreen (no other active ingredients). Have you ever tried that?

I have, it only helped a little. As it stands, my best chance of avoiding a burn is to wear long sleeves, long pants, and a hat.

For the extreme sun sensitive, have you tried any of the sun-proof clothing like Solumbra? It's been wonderful for me.

No no no, you all don't understand. It's totally okay for men to admire your "countenance". It's when they admire your boobs that you are defrauding them.

As a lilywhite person, I do see the point, especially now that my youthful sun exposure is starting to show in my face. But it seems like a big old hat might be a less scary option.

I have a severe case of polymorphous light eruption and more than 10 minutes in sunlight causes a terrible rash on my face and hands. Looks like I ran into a wasp nest and decided to stick around and talk to the critters for the fun of it. The strongest sunblock does little to nothing. I've heard it's a pretty common condition in Scandinavia. Maybe I'll look into starting a business over there. Not that those things look too comfortable, but it would be nice to go for a swim in the ocean or a dip in the pool like I used be able to. And freak everyone else out..... :scared-ghostface:

I have, it only helped a little. As it stands, my best chance of avoiding a burn is to wear long sleeves, long pants, and a hat.

Have you looked into porphyria? There are multiple ways it presents and multiple complications.

I thought they looked like pastel Ninjas. Do you think the look will become popular in those region of the world that require women to be covered from head to toe to avoid tempting the men folk?

If you are burning after only one hour in direct sun wearing a 50, it might not be an actual burn but some sort of autoimmune reaction to sunlight that mimics the redness and discomfort of a burn. If so, sunblock might not help much.

There's no way to prevent my reaction, but I do have topical steroid creams that help with my hands after the fact. I won't put the stuff on my face, so if I get stuck in line at the garden center at Home Depot for more than 10 minutes, I have to tough out a red, painful face for 3 or 4 days before it starts to fade away.

Archived