IGNORED

Modest Beach Clothing: Face-kinis

0 kids n not countin

Weird that they'd want to completely cover their faces, but leave their arms and legs exposed. Yeah, I know it's for wrinkle prevention, but skin cancer can occur anywhere. The masks remind me of the balaclavas worn by the terrorists at the Munich Olympics.

If you are burning after only one hour in direct sun wearing a 50, it might not be an actual burn but some sort of autoimmune reaction to sunlight that mimics the redness and discomfort of a burn. If so, sunblock might not help much.

There's no way to prevent my reaction, but I do have topical steroid creams that help with my hands after the fact. I won't put the stuff on my face, so if I get stuck in line at the garden center at Home Depot for more than 10 minutes, I have to tough out a red, painful face for 3 or 4 days before it starts to fade away.

About 15 years ago, I would have agreed with you, but in the past 6 years or so, now that my skin has "weathered" some, it doesn't just fade away or peel any more. It turns into a genuine tan now.

Plus my mom took me to the doctor the first few times it happened because she couldn't believe someone could burn that easily either. Every doctor has thus far said it's just a regular old sun burn and to be careful.

I am one of those natural redheads with very transluscent and pale skin. Even in winter commuting back and forth usually in the dark I won't go outside without SPF30.

Without sunscreen I burn, and I burn hard!

I have no problems with SPF30, 50, or anything else and don't burn. However, I also make sure I re-apply it about every 2 hours whether I have been in shade, direct sun, or heck inside. Lots of people burn with SPF50, 60, or even 100 as they erroneously believe they won't need to reapply it. Even if you have not been swimming, sweating, sitting in the sun, etc...reapply. Really, one does not REALLY need more than SPF30 or so as it is supposed to block more than 97% of the UV rays, and after that (i.e. SPF50) you get a marginal gain in percentage protection.

It should also be applied AT LEAST 30 minutes before you go outside. I often note lots of people only apply it after they have been outside for 20 or 30 minutes. Well, by then your skin has already been exposed and that burn that shows up later was from that first while, not because the sunblock did not work!

I should also note my husband was at the outdoor retail show a couple weeks ago and was talking to one of the sunscreen manufacturers who was telling him there is also a lack of standardization to ensure one brands SPF30 is the same as another's SPF30. There should be something on the way though or something.

Oh, and despite my somewhat obsessive skin protection habits (hats, sunglasses, applying sunblock, long sleeves, sticking to the shade whenever possible, running and such in the early mornings wherever possible) I would never wear one of those facekinis. I admit in winter though I can sometimes be found in a balaclava!

Weird that they'd want to completely cover their faces, but leave their arms and legs exposed. Yeah, I know it's for wrinkle prevention, but skin cancer can occur anywhere. The masks remind me of the balaclavas worn by the terrorists at the Munich Olympics.

It's more than just wrinkle prevention, even if a lot of people won't discuss it in public. We're used to our cultural norm of a tan being hip and "looking" cool. In a lot of the world, a tanned face indicates that you have to do manual labor outdoors, aka you are a peasant. Women keeping their faces as white as possible is an indication that your family is prosperous.

Archived