IGNORED

Resources?

fundifugee

Scenario - off-grid homeschooling/unschooling family, modest, headcovering, basically homechurching, living in a remote, isolated place. Parents originally from less fundy background (catholic/lutheran/anglican), but wanted to subsistence farm and live off-grid and gradually migrated to mennonite-type belief system (though never converted).

Real mennonites move in to 'join this family in fellowship'. Parents taken aback by the real mennonites rules about women (no speaking to men or in church, submit submit submit). Kids (now mostly adult) in the family are delighted to now have friends 'like them' and join the church, some considering marriage into it. Mother in question is appalled at her kids being engulfed into this sort of structure, particularly since the leadership of this group are textbook examples of spiritual abuse; calling folks out from the pulpit, threatening shunning, calling any dissenters crazy and minions of satan, etc.

Mother is looking for resources to offer her kids to inform them about spiritual abuse, and encourage critical thinking about faith hierarchies. Kids will be actively opposed to non-christian, radical, feminist, atheist anti-god stuff. They have no internet access. Anyone know of any books written from an acceptably faith-based perspective on critical thinking about religious teachings and spiritual abuse?

(My knee-jerk post-fundy reaction is to tell this mom to shrug off all the dumb religious stuff and what did she expect raising her kids in that kind of scene and perhaps she should have included critical thinking in the homeschool curriculum. But on the other hand she is a victim of a sort of naive, ignorance/innocence that is actually rather interesting, thanks to her own upbringing on a remote subsistence homestead, child of WW2 war-resisters who settled as far out as possible to avoid conscription in Europe then discrimination in North America. It is like she is time-machined in from another era).

Greg Albrecht wrote a lot of books about spiritual abuse and religion vs. grace. I have moved on to a more agnostic place since I read them but they really did help when I was coming out of legalistic fundie land. They were very Christian and used Christian lingo but were very against spiritual abuse/legalism.

http://www.amazon.com/Rejecting-Religio ... 024&sr=1-4

I liked that one.

Greg Albrecht wrote a lot of books about spiritual abuse and religion vs. grace. I have moved on to a more agnostic place since I read them but they really did help when I was coming out of legalistic fundie land. They were very Christian and used Christian lingo but were very against spiritual abuse/legalism.

http://www.amazon.com/Rejecting-Religio ... 024&sr=1-4

I liked that one.

Greg Albrecht was pat of the leadership of the Worlwide Church of God which was a cult. Many believe Greg is just following in the footsteps of his former cult leader and now starting his own new cult under the guise of trying to help people who are disenfranchised with religion.

Greg Albrecht was pat of the leadership of the Worlwide Church of God which was a cult. Many believe Greg is just following in the footsteps of his former cult leader and now starting his own new cult under the guise of trying to help people who are disenfranchised with religion.

I'm sure he probably is. His books are good for one thing and not good for another.

Rob Bell, particularly 'Love Wins'? They probably think he's the antichrist, though.

newlife.com

Their main issues are relationships/sex/marriage/addictions, but I know I've heard them address spiritual abuse as well.

Archived