IGNORED

Denying children healthcare on religious grounds

terranova

There is a case in the news here at the moment of a 2 year old Jehovah's Witness girl who's parents have decided not to allow her a kidney and liver transplant because of their religious belives. It has just been announced that she has been put under the guardianship of the High Court to allow the transplants to go ahead.

This sort of thing astounds me. To teach your children about your religious ideals is one thing, to sign their death warrent because of your antiquated belief system is quite another. I'm very pleased about the High Court decision. I hope it's in time to save her life.

Good for the High Court. What are the parents doing? Do they accept the decision or are they protesting?

And i agree- it's child abuse to deny her life saving care.

The child needs to be a ward of the state, not just to get the transplant surgery done, but for a considerable period of time afterward, because her JW parents likely would refuse to adhere to her medication protocol after the surgery and would resist follow-up dr's visits. The child would still be in danger if returned to her parents after the surgery. Poor little kid. There are many, many cases in history of innocent children, too young to choose to refuse medical care, who have died slowly and horribly, of cancer, diabetes, etc, while their parents watched them die. The worst offenders are the Christian Scientists.

I haven't heard if they are protesting, but as it's the high court, there isn't anyone for them to protest to.

I really despise this religion for shunning it's members. It ruined the life of a good friend of mine who, after being divorced for four years, entered into a consenting sexual relationship with a guy. Because she wasn't married to him, she was shunned. It took her two years to come to the realisation that this church wasn't good for her. Thankfully she's now out of it and getting on with her life and has found good friends from outside the church.

I just don't understand how someone could sit there and watch their child suffer. I don't believe in the Christian God but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be cool with a child dying a slow and painful death in his name.

There is a case in the news here at the moment of a 2 year old Jehovah's Witness girl who's parents have decided not to allow her a kidney and liver transplant because of their religious belives. It has just been announced that she has been put under the guardianship of the High Court to allow the transplants to go ahead.

This sort of thing astounds me. To teach your children about your religious ideals is one thing, to sign their death warrent because of your antiquated belief system is quite another. I'm very pleased about the High Court decision. I hope it's in time to save her life.

Under Dutch law, the parents get a temporary waiver of parental authority for as long as the child needs medical care.

Archived