IGNORED

seth macfarlane's misogyny

merrily

I'm not saying that there is an objective link.

I'm saying that the kids who are her fans are not experts in the nuances of S&M, and that they were getting a general confused message of beaten by boyfriend in real life - singing about being in a deadly violent relationship with someone who in reality has been violent - singing about liking pain during sex - getting back together with the violent boyfriend in real life.

Fair enough, thank you for clarifying.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that man is straight then I had butt sex with Pope Maledick-t last night. That man is at least bisexual, and a self hating, confused one.

As to the Rihanna-Chris B subject.. yes, those wife beating jokes, ah, hot topic right? Ha ha ha - NO.

It's not just him liking to sing. HE LOVES HIS OWN VOICE so much that if he could like condensate it, mix it with some baking soda, and snort the heck out of it. That man is so much in love with himself that he screams his own name during sex. He is a typical narcissistic syco.

If that man is straight then I had butt sex with Pope Maledick-t last night. That man is at least bisexual, and a self hating, confused one.

oh I doubt that. Seth has long been a vocal and present advocate of LGBT causes.

In fact, I think that is what is so frustrating about him. I actually like him quite a bit as a human being, but feel like he sometimes over relies on mysogynistic language to be funny. Many LGBT organizations and other critics have called him out for jokes that vould be offensive to the LGBT community, but still recognize that his human being persona vs his writer persona is very LGBT supportive and positive.

I like Seth, but I don't really like FAmily Guy. And I was back and forth on the oscars, sometimes he was funny...sometimes not.

You cannot separate the man and his jokes.

He practically respects no one and nothing. His chumbawamba song about how paralyzed people would be turn into glue if they were horses, also outraged me as someone with a disabled close friend. To me there is no wall between Seth and his "jokes". Those totally define him.

oh I doubt that. Seth has long been a vocal and present advocate of LGBT causes.

In fact, I think that is what is so frustrating about him. I actually like him quite a bit as a human being, but feel like he sometimes over relies on mysogynistic language to be funny. Many LGBT organizations and other critics have called him out for jokes that vould be offensive to the LGBT community, but still recognize that his human being persona vs his writer persona is very LGBT supportive and positive.

I like Seth, but I don't really like FAmily Guy. And I was back and forth on the oscars, sometimes he was funny...sometimes not.

I thought that Seth was either bisexual or gay also. It wasn't the musical numbers that made me think he was gay. Because my family are a bunch of weirdo nerds, his love for musicals would probably fit in with us. I'm not certain why I thought he wasn't straight.

I go back and forth with Family Guy. Sometimes it can be really funny but other times it seems to be reaching for the lowest level it can reach to get a laugh. At first the racist jokes seemed aimed to shine a light on how stupid racism is but now the jokes seem to be teaching that white people can say offensive things about minorities if they claim they are joking afterwards. Oddly,Seth Macfarlane the man doesn't seem to be racist or homophobic so I don't know why his show comes off that way.

If I was a better animator, I would take all his rape skits and put a cartoon of him as the victim. My intent wouldn't be to threaten him but to show that when you put yourself in the place of the victim, rape is not humorous. There are so many rape skits on his show that if he was forced to sit and watch himself be the potential victim over and over and over, I don't think that he'd include them in his show.

I don't watch Family Guy that much anymore. His jokes are all very similar and even the nonoffensive ones aren't funny after you've seen them for the tenth time. There really isn't anything new in the show. W

Ugh, I hate Seth MacFarlane and Family Guy so much. It's probably a good thing I didn't see the Oscars. It's nice to finally see that I'm not the only one who thinks FG is an idiotic show that panders to the lowest common denominator. The early seasons were really funny, but it's become clear now that he's either a sexist, racist, homophobic asshole, or someone so privileged he legitimately thinks he's funny and has no idea who's really laughing at his awful jokes, just that some people are laughing.

He practically respects no one and nothing. His chumbawamba song about how paralyzed people would be turn into glue if they were horses, also outraged me as someone with a disabled close friend. To me there is no wall between Seth and his "jokes". Those totally define him.

Meh. I actually think you can separate many people from their careers. The best sort of people are the people who are always good...but I actually can see how someone acts outside of their career differently than in their career.

YOU can't separate them, which is fine and reasonable. But don't tell others what they can think and feel.

Meh. I actually think you can separate many people from their careers. The best sort of people are the people who are always good...but I actually can see how someone acts outside of their career differently than in their career.

YOU can't separate them, which is fine and reasonable. But don't tell others what they can think and feel.

You can think and feel however you want. Its just kind of hard to reasonably justify judging someone only in their off time. Especially when he freely chose his career and its path- that is something virtually no one gets to do to the extent he has.

This is a pretty open and shut case to me- you can't even make the case that his intentions are good.

You can think and feel however you want. Its just kind of hard to reasonably justify judging someone only in their off time. Especially when he freely chose his career and its path- that is something virtually no one gets to do to the extent he has.

This is a pretty open and shut case to me- you can't even make the case that his intentions are good.

Did I say I only judge him on his off time? I said I liked him as a person, not as a writer necessarily. And then AVENUes said I can't do that. When actually those are feelings so I can.

See, and this is what I don't get. My friend was ranting on twitter about how Seth's turn as Oscar host was NOT offensive because Seth is very liberal and pro-LGBT and supports same-sex marriage, therefore he can't be sexist/homophobic/whatever. But if you're pro-LGBT and are a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, does that give you a free pass to make offensive jokes about gay people and women? If that is what my friend is implying, I totally disagree. Because that starts turning into someone making a racist remark, then saying "I'm not racist, I have black friends!"

Google around "hipster racism" for some discussions of that type of idea - it's becoming controversial lately. The gist is, you make some racist comments, but haha, it's all okay because you do it "ironically" and are aware of what you're doing so you're supposedly making fun of racists and "those other people" who have those beliefs sincerely. If you complain about a "hipster racist"'s comments, they might come back at YOU for "how could you even think I was serious? I'm a good educated liberal, I'm offended that you would think I might be serious" etc etc.

Personally, I don't buy it - intent isn't magical, and I am no more a fan of "dudebro humor" (be it racist, sexist, or whatever) when supposedly said "ironically" than I am when supposedly "sincere" people make those same comments.

Google around "hipster racism" for some discussions of that type of idea - it's becoming controversial lately. The gist is, you make some racist comments, but haha, it's all okay because you do it "ironically" and are aware of what you're doing so you're supposedly making fun of racists and "those other people" who have those beliefs sincerely. If you complain about a "hipster racist"'s comments, they might come back at YOU for "how could you even think I was serious? I'm a good educated liberal, I'm offended that you would think I might be serious" etc etc.

Personally, I don't buy it - intent isn't magical, and I am no more a fan of "dudebro humor" (be it racist, sexist, or whatever) when supposedly said "ironically" than I am when supposedly "sincere" people make those same comments.

Oh, I agree. The website Jezebel had a really comprehensive article on "hipster racism" a few months ago that spelled things out really well. Being racist/sexist for the sake of being "ironic" is really really stupid.

See, and this is what I don't get. My friend was ranting on twitter about how Seth's turn as Oscar host was NOT offensive because Seth is very liberal and pro-LGBT and supports same-sex marriage, therefore he can't be sexist/homophobic/whatever. But if you're pro-LGBT and are a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, does that give you a free pass to make offensive jokes about gay people and women? If that is what my friend is implying, I totally disagree. Because that starts turning into someone making a racist remark, then saying "I'm not racist, I have black friends!"

No I don't think it does. I think he can be all those things. I just don't think he is a self hating confused bisexual.

No I don't think it does. I think he can be all those things. I just don't think he is a self hating confused bisexual.

Yeah, I definitely agree there. I don't think he's a self-hating bisexual; I think this is a case of a really self-absorbed comedian who may have personal beliefs that are liberal, but tosses that all to the side with his "offensive for the sake of being offensive" dudebro humor.

Yeah, I definitely agree there. I don't think he's a self-hating bisexual; I think this is a case of a really self-absorbed comedian who may have personal beliefs that are liberal, but tosses that all to the side with his "offensive for the sake of being offensive" dudebro humor.

I agree. Plus it's expected of him and it's how his bread is buttered.

Personally, I think he's going to have to reinvent himself if he wants to stay relevant. He's a talanted guy, maybe he'll figure out some way to do it.

Seth is very liberal on some things- pot legalization, an atheist, pro-gay marriage. However, you can be all of those things and still be a sexist. In fact, we had a thread a while ago here about how a lot of atheist men are just as sexist as fundie men.

Do I think he's biased against all the groups he makes fun of? No. As I said before, he makes tons of jokes about gay people but I don't believe he's homophobic. However, the jokes he makes about women are different in both quantity and quality than the jokes he makes about any other group and I do think he's a sexist.

I am not saying he is or his not any -ist. I think there is a good argument he is many -ists.

My like of him as a human being has a lot to do with my perception of him outside of the big three shows. I just liked him...but agree with that he has some major flaws. And I think what he does is offensive a lot.

found this on the internet written about Seth's performance, and I have to agree:

"Somewhat... but in his shows the bigoted remarks are made by characters already known to be ignorant morons, and so in a big way the joke is actually mocking people who have those attitudes. When someone's doing it "as himself" it's not the same..."

He wasn't voicing a character on a show. For the Oscars he was being Seth MacFarlane, not stupid Peter Griffin.

Oh, I agree. The website Jezebel had a really comprehensive article on "hipster racism" a few months ago that spelled things out really well. Being racist/sexist for the sake of being "ironic" is really really stupid.

SO MUCH THIS. I cannot "like a person" who in broadcasts misogyny WORLDWIDE - for a living. WTF, really? Am I supposed to see him as an "otherwise nice person"?

I can't believe I"m defending McFarlane and his dumb fratboy jokes, but this statement is a little off the wall(no offense).

Do you know the guy personally? Because while I don't agree with his humor nor do I care for FG and its ilk, I will say that the man seems intelligent enough to know what he's doing. He's also developing other projects, along with his CD, I believe I read awhile back that he wants to revamp The Flintstones(yeah..wut) and bring back Cosmos. As others have stated, he's also involved with a lot to do with the LGBT community and pot regulation as well.

Also, he's been going out with one of my girlcrushes, the Khalesi herself.....

Otherwise, and again, FJers, please don't get angry at me:

But if you all seriously thought that the creator of Peter Griffin and Ted the potsmoking bear was going to keep it classy somewhat, y'all were wrong.

I would not want that person in a 500 mile radius around me. The fact that he exists and poisons people's minds is horrible enough. And there are plenty of other singers - actual singers, Italian, Spanish and Russsian ARTISTS that you have probably never heard of because it takes efforts to find them; not pop-culture waste - so spank you very much, you can hog all his "other" arts and enjoy it. I'm out of this convo, enjoy the rest of it on your own : )

Archived