IGNORED

Job Seeker Sues Company for Asking When He Was 'Saved"

doggie

If this is an example of being saved thank god I am not. I could not imagine working around a bunch of "saved" Christians it would be total hell. Huge ego stroking, god praising holier then though attitude would be horrible. It would be like a bunch of televangelists trying to out do each other and thinking the others are not as saved as you are. After the interview I doubt he wanted to work there I bet.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/christian-job- ... 99eFnBp69s

That's a new one. I'd say he dodged a bullet. Hopefully he found a great job that isn't filled with evangelical douchebags.

I've been interviewing for jobs over this past school year and usually end up getting mommy tracked [i.e., the interview ends shortly after they figure out I stayed home with my son until he started school].

What's with the crucifix and other Catholic items in the work desk photo? Being born again is not a Catholic teaching. Southern Baptists do not have crucifixes and Mary statues on their desks, or in their homes. Getty Images gets a F for pairing this photo to this story.

The fact that this company required coming in early for bible time without pay seems very wrong.

And fundie Christians complain about "persecution"; but it's ok for them to deny people jobs based on how Christian they are/aren't. They're hypocrites.

What's with the crucifix and other Catholic items in the work desk photo? Being born again is not a Catholic teaching. Southern Baptists do not have crucifixes and Mary statues on their desks, or in their homes. Getty Images gets a F for pairing this photo to this story.

I also give Getty Images an F. They should found a picture of desk that has a mousepad that has a Bible verse on it and maybe some scripture prints hanging on the wall.

I thought the same thing when I saw the photo -- I assumed that it was a photo a an actual desk at the particular place that the news story is about and that they were a bunch of stark-raving Catholics. It turns out that they are stark-raving Baptists -- naked cross no dead guy on it, no Mary statuettes, no Mary snow-globes, but lots of pictures of aborted fetuses to jack off to.

That would be born-again Baptist.

The fact that this company required coming in early for bible time without pay seems very wrong.

for most of us yes for born again's? it would be a good thing I guess. But this is typical of christian companies they will screw their employes like no others.

If you read the comments after the article, it appears that the company has a history (albeit short hx) of discrimination. They sacked a person who took medical leave for inpatient treatment for bi-polar disorder. They allegedly tacked the termination notice on his front door. Great company.

I work for a Christian nursing home and that is bad enough but at least the only thing I was told is to not curse. :)

This reminds me of the King of the Hill episode where Hank is in charge of new hire interviews and he wants to ask, "We're all Christians here, how about you?" When Peggy informs him that this is illegal, he changes his questions to, "If you could eat lunch with any of the following, would it be with A. Jesus, B. Muhammed, or C. Golda Meir?"

The article mentions he's a single father. Unless he's a widower, I think he's disqualified from working for this company based on his past headship failure.

That company would get burned it Canada. Religion is one of the big no-no's of interview questions. You can ask if they need any days off for religious purposes, but you can't ask them what their religion is or if they are saved.

The article mentions he's a single father. Unless he's a widower, I think he's disqualified from working for this company based on his past headship failure.

No that would only apply if he is female. as a male he would be doing his fatherly duty and be supported.

That company would get burned it Canada. Religion is one of the big no-no's of interview questions. You can ask if they need any days off for religious purposes, but you can't ask them what their religion is or if they are saved.

Same here, except in Northern Ireland they ask you if you're Catholic or Protestant for quota purposes.

When I apply for jobs I sometimes have to fill out an equal opportunities form where I select my religion, or lack thereof, but it would never be asked in an interview. It's a big no-no here.

When I apply for jobs I sometimes have to fill out an equal opportunities form where I select my religion, or lack thereof, but it would never be asked in an interview. It's a big no-no here.

The equal opportunities forms are usually optional, too (I think they're non-optional for the public sector only).

Here they sometimes have an equal opportunity question on the application. All it asks is "are you female, visible minority, aboriginal, LBGTQ, disabled?" and you don't need to answer at all. They only ask because they are legally allowed to give preferential consideration to these groups.

Same here, and the equal opportunities form isn't seen by the interview panel. You are only asked questions about your religious beliefs if you're being interviewed for a job as a vicar or similar - a job where having those beliefs is necessary for carrying out the role. I had an interview for a job in the Church of England last year, and wasn't asked a thing about my beliefs, because faith had no bearing on the post's tasks and responsibilities. Sure, one of the person specification criteria on the job description was 'A historical knowledge of the Church of England and other denominations', but actually having faith wasn't. It would have been illegal for it to be a stated criterion.

If this is an example of being saved thank god I am not. I could not imagine working around a bunch of "saved" Christians it would be total hell. Huge ego stroking, god praising holier then though attitude would be horrible. It would be like a bunch of televangelists trying to out do each other and thinking the others are not as saved as you are. After the interview I doubt he wanted to work there I bet.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/christian-job- ... 99eFnBp69s

One thing I thought I'd point out is that the EEOC has brought the suit on behalf of the jobseeker. This is significant. There are three things the EEOC can do:

* Deny the claim of discrimination.

* Give leave to sue (the EEOC doesn't want to handle the case and if the plaintiff wants to go forward, they can, but they have to do it themselves and find an attorney).

* Sue on behalf of (in this case) the jobseeker.

The evidence has to be absolutely top-notch, solid-gold for the EEOC to take the case. Or, in other words, the discrimination was blatant and overt.

I'd also note that before the EEOC files a suit, it will send a settlement demand to the company in question. Usually that involves paying money damages and changing the procedures that got them in trouble in the first place. Obviously the lighting company decided they didn't want to do that.

Apparently this isn't the first time Voss Lighting has tangled with the EEOC. From the description of the previous case (taken from a comment on the news article), this sounds like a real "christian" outfit:

Looks like this isn't the first time Voss has been charged with discrimination. They had to pay 91,250 in compensatory damages in 2003 after they wrongfully terminated an employee who was disabled and seeking medical leave for treatment. Here's the resolution: "After he asked for medical leave to receive inpatient treatment for his bipolar disorder, defendant discharged him by taping a termination letter to the front door of his home. The case was resolved through a consent decree which provides for payment of $91,250 in compensatory damages to charging party. Defendant agrees not to discriminate on the basis of disability, perceived disability or record of disability in any employment action and further agrees not to retaliate against any person who opposes an unlawful employment practice or files a charge of discrimination." (From the EEOC website)

Yeah, awful "christian" of you there, Voss Lighting.

This reminds me of the King of the Hill episode where Hank is in charge of new hire interviews and he wants to ask, "We're all Christians here, how about you?" When Peggy informs him that this is illegal, he changes his questions to, "If you could eat lunch with any of the following, would it be with A. Jesus, B. Muhammed, or C. Golda Meir?"

:lol:

You gotta love those Christians who are so open minded, NOT. Love your neighbors as yourself.

Couple years ago I can to speak to a Mormon X-Ray tech that worked for me because he was still on his mission trying to convert everyone that came in. Found out that during his mission he had not converted one soul and he needed to do it so he would get his own planet (I am making that up). After our heart to heart chat he quit, did not want to lose his job. I live at the bottom of Jello Belt, so when I am interviewing I can tell who is Mormon and who is not just by the resume. I also tell them after that they are hired that there will be no reglious stuff going on in the clinic. None of them have cross that line.

I live at the bottom of Jello Belt

Jello Belt? What flavour is it (Lime?)

I was raised LDS but my rebellion strength was strong, so I don't 'get' a lot of Mormonisms...

Jello Belt? What flavour is it (Lime?)

I was raised LDS but my rebellion strength was strong, so I don't 'get' a lot of Mormonisms...

Here in the south we've got the Bible Belt, a multi-state region where most people are mostly some brand of Evangelical and people act a little different and have different experiences than people who don't live here.

The Jello Belt is the Mormon version, spanning Utah and parts of several surrounding states, so-called because apparently Mormon's eat a lot of Jello. Mormon's who don't live in the Jello Belt probably have no idea what this is like, just like Evangelicals who live in, say, California don't "get" what it's like in the Bible Belt, even though they might believe the same thing religiously. I've also heard this referred to as "those Utah Mormon's" by Mormon's who don't live in Utah and think they have gone a bridge too far with their LDS-stereotypes.

Archived