IGNORED

Abortion in Virginia - New Rules

GenerationCedarchip

The only commentary I can offer on this is, "Holy crap." I've known people who went through medical terminations, post-rape abortions, and other really harrowing situations. I can't imagine adding all of this garbage to the difficulties they already went through.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/310214

I am horrified. Why do they think they have the right to deman medical records of this particular type of provider and service?

it is amazing how we see the scream to reduce government in our lives but then again force it into peoples lives like a weapon. How do you work that out in your head? I guess if it fits your beliefs then it is ok for government to do it.

The thing that scares me is what, exactly, they plan to do with those records.

The only commentary I can offer on this is, "Holy crap." I've known people who went through medical terminations, post-rape abortions, and other really harrowing situations. I can't imagine adding all of this garbage to the difficulties they already went through.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/310214

This is so wrong, on so many levels. Who's next? People who visit a cancer clinic?

Guest Anonymous

I live in VA and even though I've had a complete hysterectomy this still horrifies me. I may not be effected but I have friends, neighbors, even nieces that should not have their privacy invaded in such a way.

I......OK, I just do not understand how they are getting around HIPPA laws with this. How is it possible for a state to commit HIPPA violations with impunity? WTF?

I......OK, I just do not understand how they are getting around HIPPA laws with this. How is it possible for a state to commit HIPPA violations with impunity? WTF?

I had the same thought. How could this possibly be legal? It had better be challenged on the grounds of this can't possibly be legal.

Oklahoma has something like this and the argument is because it allows them to monitor sexually abused teens/preteens that clinics were not reporting.

Oklahoma has something like this and the argument is because it allows them to monitor sexually abused teens/preteens that clinics were not reporting.

Unbelievable bullshit (but then, I'm sure you know that).

I guess they don't give a damn about boys who are being abused, or girls who are being abused in ways that don't get them pregnant.

Excuse my ignorance, but does every state in the US have a different stance on abortion?

Excuse my ignorance, but does every state in the US have a different stance on abortion?

Yes. While right to abortion on demand is required by the federal govt, every state can choose how they want to regulate it. And in some states, like my neighboring Mississippi the regulations and social pressure are so fierce they only have one provider, who flies in to provide abortions.

The US system appears so complicated to a Non-native, politically speaking.

In the UK the Abortion Act was passed in 1967 and has remained largely unchanged. Now whilst there will always be Socio/religious contention it is not hugely an issue or at least not massively reported in the media as an issue, that said maybe somebody else may have a different perspective. It is rarely if ever used as motive for election politically.....YET.

I find the above just, horrifying. What a violation.

The US system appears so complicated to a Non-native, politically speaking.

In the UK the Abortion Act was passed in 1967 and has remained largely unchanged. Now whilst there will always be Socio/religious contention it is not hugely an issue or at least not massively reported in the media as an issue, that said maybe somebody else may have a different perspective. It is rarely if ever used as motive for election politically.....YET.

I find the above just, horrifying. What a violation.

It is. Which is why I found myself going to Kansas to get my abortion.

It was similar here in regards to Southern Ireland. Women crossed the border into Northern Ireland in order to have abortions. What is good about the system (although 'system' and good are not normally good together) Is that not only did these women have the ability to do that..they also got it free. I am unsure exactly of the Legalities in Southern Ireland right now.

My parents ..both in their late 70's ..used to do a 'Border' run for Condoms. That part of Ireland for a long time was very influenced by religion. Still is in many ways.

I think anywhere is OK..as long as you are allowed to feel comfortable, confident and respected. This should be a 'right' Hope Kansas gave you that.

It was similar here in regards to Southern Ireland. Women crossed the border into Northern Ireland in order to have abortions. What is good about the system (although 'system' and good are not normally good together) Is that not only did these women have the ability to do that..they also got it free. I am unsure exactly of the Legalities in Southern Ireland right now.

My parents ..both in their late 70's ..used to do a 'Border' run for Condoms. That part of Ireland for a long time was very influenced by religion. Still is in many ways.

I think anywhere is OK..as long as you are allowed to feel comfortable, confident and respected. This should be a 'right' Hope Kansas gave you that.

Ahem, the 1967 Abortion act didn't extend to NI. Abortion in NI is still officially regulated by the 1861 "Offences Against the Person Act", and illegal, except to save the life of the mother. Or if continuing the pregnancy poses a risk to the woman's mental health. Women from NI still have to travel to Britain to get an abortion. In the Republic of Ireland, abortions are still generally illegal, but permissible in severely limited cases.

Sorry to get all nit-picky, but abortion laws in all of Ireland are a personal peeve of mine. I get stabby thinking about the fact that abortions are safe and comparatively quick to come by in the UK, for all, except for women in NI.

Sorry about the derail.

Absolutely no need for apology..I kind of knew with Ireland I was floundering. But I had no idea 1967 did not apply to NI. How interesting and a bit shocking.

Wouldn't it just be easier to have counsellors in the clinics? Oh wait...

Absolutely no need for apology..I kind of knew with Ireland I was floundering. But I had no idea 1967 did not apply to NI. How interesting and a bit shocking.

It is, isn't it? Free health-care for all, except women in NI, who need to pay dearly to get a safe, legal abortion, because Westminster can't get its act together. Yes, I'm annoyed with Westminster, why do you ask? ;)

It is, isn't it? Free health-care for all, except women in NI, who need to pay dearly to get a safe, legal abortion, because Westminster can't get its act together. Yes, I'm annoyed with Westminster, why do you ask? ;)

Well considering my initial question was about individual States in the US having differing laws...yes. Fairly shocking.

And yes Hehe...Westminster..THAT I get..MY country owns the OIL you know (said in jest) So yes I get your drift. :)

Well considering my initial question was about individual States in the US having differing laws...yes. Fairly shocking.

And yes Hehe...Westminster..THAT I get..MY country owns the OIL you know (said in jest) So yes I get your drift. :)

Now, let me take an educated guess where in the UK you might live... ;)

Archived