IGNORED

Wearing Immodest Clothing is Sexual Aggression

SpeakNow

But that isn't what lust means, and I wish more people knew this. "To lust after" means "to dwell on and fondle one's desire for." There's a passage in the KJV about somebody lusting after some grain growing in the fields. He wasn't phytosexual; he was very hungry and that was all he had on his mind. A lusty person thinks only about his immediate physical desires and the satisfaction of same, so in medieval English, a "lusty babe" is a perfectly normal infant or toddler.

So a better vernacular translation of that verse is "If you're perving on a woman with whom you should not have sex, you are just as guilty as if you had actually gone to bed wih her." The preventive is not for women to try to hide every secondary sexual characteristic. The preventive is for people not to perv over other people--not to turn other people into toys, even in their own minds.

Okay: "Wow, she's sexy. I do indeed have a libido, and it's in fine form this afternoon! Okay, back to what I was thinking about before I saw her."

Not okay: "Wow, she's sexy. I want to . . . and then I bet she would . . . Oh, yeah, we could . . . "

What's that quote about impure thoughts? A visiting fundie mentioned it here a while ago. "It's not a sin for a bird to land on your head, but you shouldn't let it build a nest in your hair"?

What's that quote about impure thoughts? A visiting fundie mentioned it here a while ago. "It's not a sin for a bird to land on your head, but you shouldn't let it build a nest in your hair"?

It's not the same one, but this is the one I always think of regarding lust and Christianity:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28).

What's new. Here in the democratic, secular kingdom of the Netherlands:

My son (neuro-radiologist) told me that a female resident had an affaire with one of the radiologists, he is married and has three children. Guess who is fired and is unable to finish her ​​education/residency???

Right! The radiologist can just live on and has his way, nothing happened, no problem move on people.

When I was a young woman, I had a very appealing shape to men. At the time, female physicians were still relatively rare. Although I never had an affair or broke any ethical of moral rule in my workplace or in the Hospital, I was regularly harassed for my appearance. I was written up by a (female) hospital administrator for a host of infractions to the dress code. They varied from too short skirts, to the wearing of a jumper that had a demim bodice. (I was literally wearing a frumper and she wrote me up because jeans were not allowed.) Finally, she made such a big fuss about my shape that one of my colleagues decided to put the topic of my appearance on the Medical Execitive Staff Agenda. They voted unanimously to allow me dress as I wished.

It would be nice to tell you that this was the end of the story. However, this woman was determined. She would put out fake emergency calls to my pager. We were supposed to return the calls within 20 minutes. She would put out the calls and then time my response. She recorded every instance that it took 21 minutes or more. She would come in when my office was closed and count any unanswered messages or lab data. Basically, I was harassed to the point that I finally did have the hospital buy out my contract.

I left my position 8 years ago. This woman still works as an adminstrator for the same hospital system and has even gotten a few promotions. I am past 50 now and there are lots of pretty young doctors. My sincere hope is that this sort of harassment does not still continue for my young colleagues.

My bible says the fruit of the Spirit is Self-control. Do fundy Bibles not say that? Or maybe it lists the exemptions in theirs that are not in mine? :?

My bible says the fruit of the Spirit is Self-control. Do fundy Bibles not say that? Or maybe it lists the exemptions in theirs that are not in mine? :?
From what I've seen, the only people who are expected to exercise self-control are babies, young children, and females of all ages. Boys and men are apparently only capable of self-control when they are in diapers.

Gotta love the mindset.

When I was a young woman, I had a very appealing shape to men. At the time, female physicians were still relatively rare. Although I never had an affair or broke any ethical of moral rule in my workplace or in the Hospital, I was regularly harassed for my appearance. I was written up by a (female) hospital administrator for a host of infractions to the dress code. They varied from too short skirts, to the wearing of a jumper that had a demim bodice. (I was literally wearing a frumper and she wrote me up because jeans were not allowed.) Finally, she made such a big fuss about my shape that one of my colleagues decided to put the topic of my appearance on the Medical Execitive Staff Agenda. They voted unanimously to allow me dress as I wished.

It would be nice to tell you that this was the end of the story. However, this woman was determined. She would put out fake emergency calls to my pager. We were supposed to return the calls within 20 minutes. She would put out the calls and then time my response. She recorded every instance that it took 21 minutes or more. She would come in when my office was closed and count any unanswered messages or lab data. Basically, I was harassed to the point that I finally did have the hospital buy out my contract.

I left my position 8 years ago. This woman still works as an adminstrator for the same hospital system and has even gotten a few promotions. I am past 50 now and there are lots of pretty young doctors. My sincere hope is that this sort of harassment does not still continue for my young colleagues.

Don't get me started, I could write a trilogy about my experiences in this particular field.

Apparantly, nothing has changed. And honestly I am not bragging about my good looks 150 years ago. Once my superior told me my shirt (very en voque at the time) was too provocotive, practically all my female co-workers were wearing this type of short type of shirt and I told him so. Well there were consequences, to the point i gave up and moved to the next job.

Are you alright now in your job?

So I didn't think this deserved it's own post because I'm pretty sure this girl doesn't go to a fundie school (if such a thing exists), but it's relevant to this post. This girl's dad was called to the school due to her "inappropriate outfit."

Sent_home.jpg

:? And from the article: "Must we always hold women and girls accountable for other people's potentially sexual reactions to the way they look? And what message does it send to her, to be made to feel "inappropriate," for what? Having the body of a teenage girl? Or being looked at by the wrong person?"

http://www.xojane.com/issues/inappropri ... enage-girl

edit: Sorry the pic is so big. I'm not sure how to make it smaller...

Every time some fundie or other blames women for tempting men with their seductive clothes/hair I think of the Carol Pope song ( a Canadian singer from the group Rough Trade, were popular in the 80's). She said in one song "you gave me these weapons - I feel free to use them"

link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izhlvH_-x84

I would tell fundies : don't start a war against women, then hand me these weapons and tell me I can't use them.

So I didn't think this deserved it's own post because I'm pretty sure this girl doesn't go to a fundie school (if such a thing exists), but it's relevant to this post. This girl's dad was called to the school due to her "inappropriate outfit."

Sent_home.jpg

:? And from the article: "Must we always hold women and girls accountable for other people's potentially sexual reactions to the way they look? And what message does it send to her, to be made to feel "inappropriate," for what? Having the body of a teenage girl? Or being looked at by the wrong person?"

http://www.xojane.com/issues/inappropri ... enage-girl

edit: Sorry the pic is so big. I'm not sure how to make it smaller...

She looks adorable, modest and totally appropriate. What was the beef?

The people who told her she was inappropriately dressed must have no idea what sexuality looks like or what modesty is, because she is completely appropriate.

I once had my mom called to the school because I was wearing a longsleeved black T-shirt with white writing across the chest because it, "called attention to my breasts." She told them to shove it. :lol: I think her exact words were something like, "I am not leaving work to come get my daughter because she has boobs. And she's going to come to school with her boobs tomorrow, too, so just be prepared." :D

It went to a public vo-tech school, definitely not fundie in any way. I'm really not surprised that this happened, but I am very sad about it. People are idiots.

She looks adorable, modest and totally appropriate. What was the beef?

Apparently her skirt was 1/2 inch too high above the knee. Can't have those sexy knees seen! She went half the day with none of her teachers saying anything (rightly so). It wasn't until the principal noticed that she got in trouble. I went to Catholic school and we had the fingertip rule for our kilts, which allows a good four inches above the knee to be shown, and if you got caught showing more, you just had to roll your kilt back down (as most girls rolled them up to make them shorter).

We had a similar rule at my school about the fingertips. This girl would be incredibly modest at my son's high school, where the girls wear tiny denim shorts with tank tops. It is getting warm, and they will only be young and supple enough to bare a lot of skin for a few years. I asked my son a long time ago if it distracts him to have so many attractive and relatively undressed girls around, but he considers that amount of clothing normal summer attire.

Of course I wore similar stuff when I was in my early to mid twenties, so he was raised with a bit of thigh being nonprovocative.

FlorenceHamilton, you are worrying me a bit. How long ago was this? I have some midsection issues right now, but I have nice legs and boobs (if I do say so myself) and I usually dress so that the attention is called to them rather than my flabby stomach! Nothing crazy, just maybe a pencil skirt with a sweater. Normal stuff.

I hated those fingertip rules. Not everyone has the same arm and finger length!

Archived