IGNORED

God's Umbrella of Protection

dairyfreelife

God first, who protects the husband and the husband protects the wife.

morningcuppas.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/scriptures-for-gods-divine-order-for.html

If you don't want to read the post, you can see just the image here:

bp.blogspot.com/-D8GF1Q5eHxQ/T5ZE5EyasEI/AAAAAAAABjg/0bRHbyMsgkA/s1600/BetheWifeof-1.jpg

I just want to know exactly and no blogger who posts this sort of thing ever answers is:

What exactly do the wives need protected from? From a religious standpoint I understand the God being the umbrella, a cover from the storm sort of thing and I can even understand a God who protects parents and the parents protect the children angle since children are naive and vulnerable and need protection and parents are supposed to do that, but the wife? What are husbands protecting their wives (who are grown adults) from?

I suspect that in many cases it's the possibility that they might realize that their husbands are insecure, posturing manchildren. In other cases, probably all those Others who are out to Get the Chosen. And in some cases, both.

My fundie-lite sister posted this nonsense on facebook. I told her she was ridiculous. I'm a grown adult with a college degree, a job, and a child. I need no more protecting than my husband does (who is also an adult). I don't know why these yahoos think women are weak, naive children with no capability of handling themselves in an adult world. And if they truly believe women are these things, then why on earth would they think women capable of raising and educating children? It makes no sense. But then, what does anything the fundies do or say make sense?

bp.blogspot.com/-D8GF1Q5eHxQ/T5ZE5EyasEI/AAAAAAAABjg/0bRHbyMsgkA/s1600/BetheWifeof-1.jpg

I just want to know exactly and no blogger who posts this sort of thing ever answers is:

What exactly do the wives need protected from? From a religious standpoint I understand the God being the umbrella, a cover from the storm sort of thing and I can even understand a God who protects parents and the parents protect the children angle since children are naive and vulnerable and need protection and parents are supposed to do that, but the wife? What are husbands protecting their wives (who are grown adults) from?

They don't answer because they have no answer. They are just regurgitating the words someone else has said to them.

I once had a conversation with a group of colleagues - one of the people who I spoke to was a fundie. I was telling my colleagues the adventures I had had on my last vacation (prior to marriage so I had gone alone and trekked around England and France). The fundie guy listened to my stories and then asked how my dad felt about my trip. I kind of shrugged and said he thought it was a good trip. The fundie guy said that he would never let his daughter out from under his protection except to hand her over to her husband. When I asked him why this was necessary he said "I would feel awful if anything happened to my daughter ". When I questioned why his daughter needed protection he just said " I put women up on a pedestal and I need to protect the women in my life" - he added that he was sure that my father would take the blame personally if I was ever hurt on my travels away from his protection. I told him that my dad would be devastated if I died but he would not blame himself as he knew I was a sensible and experienced traveller. There it was - the divide between the fundie opinion of women can do /need and my opinion of women of what women can do/need.

It is encounters like this that make me glad I was not born into a fundie family.

he said "I would feel awful if anything happened to my daughter ". When I questioned why his daughter needed protection he just said " I put women up on a pedestal and I need to protect the women in my life" - he added that he was sure that my father would take the blame personally if I was ever hurt on my travels away from his protection. I told him that my dad would be devastated if I died but he would not blame himself as he knew I was a sensible and experienced traveller. There it was - the divide between the fundie opinion of women can do /need and my opinion of women of what women can do/need.

It is encounters like this that make me glad I was not born into a fundie family.

My dad is the same, he'd be devastated, but it's not reserved for just his daughters. He'd be devastated if something happened to my brother as well. You can't protect children from everything and especially not adult children. He's doing more more harm than good, all these "protect women" fundies are.

As for the last sentence, me too.

Planned Parenthood staffers forcing them to abort their blessings? Lesbians trying to earn a toaster? Store associates trying to sell them pants? Grumpkins? Snarks?

Well, if the women are made to fel inferior and in need of protection, then they will be submissive and just go ahead and let their husbands have their way, and just be meek, gentle helpmeets. To me it's bootstrapping at its finest. "Because you need protection, you have to let me be in charge of you because you need protection."

I'm glad that my husband cleans up the pug poop and gets rid of spiders for me but if I had to i could do the same thing. I can only think of a handful of times that my husband had to protect me and most of the time it was during medical issues. I have done the same for him before also.

so what about the few kids I have known that were orphans byt he time they hit high school? Or the young college student that lost everyone in their family? Not all of us are lucky enough to have friends and family to watch out for us. Do these fundies think God doesn't protect the orphans and widows?

Prosperity gospel bullshit.

Because Job's Umbrella seemed to be awfully full of holes--and by extension his wife's was. Hence why his kids all died (of course, he DID eventually get replacement children, so maybe it's all OK)

If fundie children need protection from anything it's their parents.

This made me laugh for a second, and then I stopped laughing because it's true and I feel so sorry for those poor kids. :(

Because Job's Umbrella seemed to be awfully full of holes--and by extension his wife's was. Hence why his kids all died (of course, he DID eventually get replacement children, so maybe it's all OK)

this. it's the idea that the bad things that happen to you are God's punishment for the bad things you do. Therefore, if you want to keep bad things from happening to your wife and kids you have to protect them spiritually and make sure your household is doing everything they are supposed to. Obviously, it doesn't really hold up to the bible.

Interesting thing about Job is there is nothing to indicate that God killed off his wife, even though she said Job and God were full of shit. I guess someone had to give him his replacement children after the Great Non-Debate (sorry, just wrote on this for an essay final yesterday so it's fresh in the brain).

Women don't automatically need to be protected, nor do men. In some situations, a woman does need protection (I can't handle stress well, not getting into it, but it's why I learned to stop giving a fuck about a lot of things), and sometimes a man does. In a healthy relationship, I think both partners try to take care of themselves but also take care of and protect their significant others.

Since men are protected by god, does that mean they're so screwed that they need divine protection to not fall off a sidewalk?

Guest Anonymous

Isn't this a bit disrespectful to God?

If you believed in an all powerful, interventionist God wouldn't it be deeply disrespectful and quite presumptuous to assume that He needed a man to top up His protection of women? God is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent. Why would he need the help of some random dude?

Did I read that right....children 3rd? You have got to be kidding me! No sane parent in this world put their kids in 3rd place? There's a lot of cherry-picking and outright twisting of Scripture going on here.

If you believed in an all powerful, interventionist God wouldn't it be deeply disrespectful and quite presumptuous to assume that He needed a man to top up His protection of women? God is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent. Why would he need the help of some random dude?

Love this, AudreyParker.

:clap: ...and I'm even a (*gasp*) Christian and agree with you 100% on this! This has always been a huge problem I've had with their thinking.

I just want to know exactly and no blogger who posts this sort of thing ever answers is: What exactly do the wives need protected from?

From themselves. A lot of these fire-n-brimestone preachers – for example, this drunken-sounding dipshit- think women are dumb.

And that's why women entrusted with the "highest calling in the world" - i.e., to homeschool the next generation.

Did that make any damned sense to you? Me neither. Such is fundie logic.

In Isreal, big problem with women being raped and attacked. Men decided the solution would be to have a curfew for women, so that they would be off the streets and so "protected." Prime Minister Golda Meyer suggested that since it was men who were doing the raping the curfew should be that men should be kept off the streets. Then women would have no problem.

They're either saying this, or that god doesn't care about women enough to extend protection.

From a religious standpoint I understand the God being the umbrella,

I respectfully disagree.

Did I read that right....children 3rd? You have got to be kidding me! No sane parent in this world put their kids in 3rd place? There's a lot of cherry-picking and outright twisting of Scripture going on here.

My husband isn't first my kids are. Always have been. I hate it when people put the spouse above the kids.

In Isreal, big problem with women being raped and attacked. Men decided the solution would be to have a curfew for women, so that they would be off the streets and so "protected." Prime Minister Golda Meyer suggested that since it was men who were doing the raping the curfew should be that men should be kept off the streets. Then women would have no problem.

Wow. That's genius! For fundies, their solution is to always restrict the victim. Man is tempted by the sight of woman's skin? Cover up the woman! Man rapes woman? The woman should have been more prudent! So many unwanted pregnancies and abortions? Created legislations to force the women carry to term!

What is so wrong with correcting the men? If THEY are the ones with the problem, then THEY should fix it! Don't be reactive, and try to fix the end result... be Proactive, and fix the problem at the root! Fundies, it's so simple!

But that would make sense, like when criminals are on probation and have curfews.

I respectfully disagree.

Why? I think it makes sense from a religion standpoint since most of them believe God protects them when they face the storms of life, that he'll be there for them. Why do you disagree that religious people would see God as being their umbrella?

Archived