IGNORED

Opulent Poppy: Homemade Clothes from bedsheets

Glass Cowcatcher

I'm surprised that so many people would consider using them for clothes at all, we are not instead of buying actual fabric, since we have snarked on uber-thrifty fundies before.
Last time I checked, sheets are "actual fabric." No, it's not fabric bought fresh off the bolt at Jo-Ann, but it's still actual fabric. A bedsheet bought at a thrift store or garage sale is also far less expensive fabric than even the cheapest quilter's cotton bought new (seriously, have you looked at the prices of fabric lately?). And, chosen carefully, it's often much better fabric.

There's other reasons why I find used bedsheets strange for sewing clothes. The fabric may be worn thin or poorly suited for clothes, and the pattern (as in her first skirt, to me) may just look bedsheety, no matter what it's made of.
If the fabric's worn thin, any sewer who knows what she's doing won't use it. Same goes for yellowed, stained, or faded sheets. Just because someone uses sheets to make clothes doesn't make them blind, or strip them of common sense.

I use thrifted bedsheets to create mock-ups of garments because they're the cheapest fabric source available. I use them to line garments, to cut contrasting facings, as sewn-in interfacing, and to make bias tape. I made a quilted lining for my raincoat from a bedsheet, and lined a pair of winter pants with a pink flannel twin-sized sheet. When I find really nice sheets, I also use them to make garments--and if I didn't say anything, nobody would be the wiser.

Personally, I don't like poly-cotton blends because they're too stiff (too "bedsheety") for my taste. Opulent Poppy seems to be okay with that stiffness, but it's her clothes, her business, and I don't have to approve. It's no skin off my ass. I thought the skirt she made looked fine--better than I'd expect of a poly blend sheet.

And if the pattern does look like a bedsheet? Well, honestly--so fucking what? Why is that so horrifying? I mean, look at all the hideous, crappy, sweatshop-made clothes people on the street schlump around in. Why is wearing a self-made skirt that betrays its bedsheet origins so awful and tasteless, but wearing shitty, disposable, made-in-China clothes isn't?

Oh, and if you really want to get the vapors over what constitutes "actual fabric," I have a really nice tailored jacket in cotton velveteen. The source of the fabric? A sofa slipcover I rescued from a neighbor's trash after they moved out. I took it apart, washed it, and had more than enough usable fabric to make my jacket. So yes, I make clothes from garbage! And it sure beat the hell out of paying $12-$15/yard for decent velveteen.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is if you can get hold of vintage sheets, from the 1960/70's for example (or earlier) they are often good quality fabric and have some neat designs too. Unless you pay a premium for quality fabric, the stuff you can get hold of today is shite and nowhere near as good quality as the fabric from 30 or more years ago. It's all mass produced crap from abroad now. But vintage fabric, even if it is a bedsheet, is of a much higher quality.

Last time I checked, sheets are "actual fabric." No, it's not fabric bought fresh off the bolt at Jo-Ann, but it's still actual fabric. A bedsheet bought at a thrift store or garage sale is also far less expensive fabric than even the cheapest quilter's cotton bought new (seriously, have you looked at the prices of fabric lately?). And, chosen carefully, it's often much better fabric.

If the fabric's worn thin, any sewer who knows what she's doing won't use it. Same goes for yellowed, stained, or faded sheets. Just because someone uses sheets to make clothes doesn't make them blind, or strip them of common sense.

I use thrifted bedsheets to create mock-ups of garments because they're the cheapest fabric source available. I use them to line garments, to cut contrasting facings, as sewn-in interfacing, and to make bias tape. I made a quilted lining for my raincoat from a bedsheet, and lined a pair of winter pants with a pink flannel twin-sized sheet. When I find really nice sheets, I also use them to make garments--and if I didn't say anything, nobody would be the wiser.

Personally, I don't like poly-cotton blends because they're too stiff (too "bedsheety") for my taste. Opulent Poppy seems to be okay with that stiffness, but it's her clothes, her business, and I don't have to approve. It's no skin off my ass. I thought the skirt she made looked fine--better than I'd expect of a poly blend sheet.

And if the pattern does look like a bedsheet? Well, honestly--so fucking what? Why is that so horrifying? I mean, look at all the hideous, crappy, sweatshop-made clothes people on the street schlump around in. Why is wearing a self-made skirt that betrays its bedsheet origins so awful and tasteless, but wearing shitty, disposable, made-in-China clothes isn't?

Oh, and if you really want to get the vapors over what constitutes "actual fabric," I have a really nice tailored jacket in cotton velveteen. The source of the fabric? A sofa slipcover I rescued from a neighbor's trash after they moved out. I took it apart, washed it, and had more than enough usable fabric to make my jacket. So yes, I make clothes from garbage! And it sure beat the hell out of paying $12-$15/yard for decent velveteen.

A couple of years ago I made myself a velvet dress for a Christmas party out of a pair of old midnight blue velvet curtains. It looked fab!

My sister had a pioneer day at school a few years ago and I made her a pioneer dress and apron out of old flat sheets. It was one of my first attempts at sewing so it looked interesting....

Guest Anonymous

It's no different than many woven cottons. If you are using a pattern made for woven cotton bedsheets can work well. But it's like anything else, you have to pick the right pattern for the fabric/ or the opposite.

I haven't made any clothes out of bedsheets, but I"ve been tempted. Generally by the time I'm done with sheets, they're so old that they become scrap fabric for mock ups, or rags. And on the issue of odd clothing- it can be made with old sheets as easily as with brand new fabric, and the same with in style clothing.

I find that wovens vary quite a lot in the way they handle, and as I'm quite curvy it really matters, even for getting a toile to fit, if a garment is meant to be floaty. I think that gored skirt worked really well though. I tend to have more luck buying plus size thrifted clothes and chopping them up. :mrgreen:

A couple of years ago I made myself a velvet dress for a Christmas party out of a pair of old midnight blue velvet curtains. It looked fab!

Hmm... I have two large soft red cotton sofa seat covers upstairs, bought for £1 each in the "As Is" department at Ikea...it reminded me of an old skirt I one had, when I felt it in the store. I can feel a new skirt coming on... :)

I find that wovens vary quite a lot in the way they handle, and as I'm quite curvy it really matters, even for getting a toile to fit, if a garment is meant to be floaty. I think that gored skirt worked really well though. I tend to have more luck buying plus size thrifted clothes and chopping them up. :mrgreen:

Can I ask if you've ever tried bias cuts? It makes the fabric behave totally differently than cutting on the grain. While fiber content and type of weave or knit of a fabric has a lot to do with the drape, cutting on the grain or bias has just as much effect.

Guest Anonymous

Can I ask if you've ever tried bias cuts? It makes the fabric behave totally differently than cutting on the grain. While fiber content and type of weave or knit of a fabric has a lot to do with the drape, cutting on the grain or bias has just as much effect.

Yes, I know about bias cut fabric.

I've made drapes out of bedsheets, pillow cases out of quilting cotton, costumes out of drapery fabric, drapes out of cheap flannel for JoAnns.... the list goes on and on...

I always feel fabric before I buy it, and try to make things suited to that fabric.

God, that almost makes sense. The bots are getting smarter.

Edit: And deleted. But it *did* almost make sense :)

This is a painful thread. My mother was an immigrant and dressed me funny, and she made my clothes. I did have dresses made of sheets. :(

And now you all know why I prefer a bacon bra.

Aw, don't feel that way. I don't wear dresses, but I could so see a lot of clothes made out of sheets. I've made lots and lots of things out of sheets, but since I don't have any girls and I don't wear dresses, I've never made clothes.

I have nothing interesting add to the sheets/cloths debate. Something totally different caught my eye - she points out Kate Middleton's coat dresses as inspiration and writes:

Royalty is the perfect place to gain inspiration for a quality wardrobe with class and elegance.
I know it probably doesn't matter - after all, she's just talking about the clothes - but it made me chuckle because Kate & Wills *gasp* lived together prior to being joined in holy, royal matrimony. Further, apparently when told that she was lucky to be dating Wills, she replied (rather saucily), "He's lucky to be dating me!" So the fact that she adores the style of a headstrong, educated woman who shacked up in sin tickles me.

/end of silly observation, please resume regularly scheduled programming

Guest Anonymous
I have nothing interesting add to the sheets/cloths debate. Something totally different caught my eye - she points out Kate Middleton's coat dresses as inspiration and writes: I know it probably doesn't matter - after all, she's just talking about the clothes - but it made me chuckle because Kate & Wills *gasp* lived together prior to being joined in holy, royal matrimony. Further, apparently when told that she was lucky to be dating Wills, she replied (rather saucily), "He's lucky to be dating me!" So the fact that she adores the style of a headstrong, educated woman who shacked up in sin tickles me.

/end of silly observation, please resume regularly scheduled programming

And isn't Kate quite well known for wearing high street clothes that end mid-thigh to show off her legs.... she's just a defrauding commoner! :D

And isn't Kate quite well known for wearing high street clothes that end mid-thigh to show off her legs.... she's just a defrauding commoner! :D

And her royal lady bits. :shock:

experiencedd...my great-grandparents were so poor, that my great grandma saved her old dresses and altered them to fit her girls or she wold find patches of discarded fabric to make them dresses. She did the same for her boys...used altering great-grandpas old clothes and scraps of fabrics. Hearing those stories made me think of Dolly Parton's song "Coat off Many Colors"

kZlgDQbvo9I

I adore Dolly Parton. She is just so incredibly sweet, and unlike Michelle, Dolly is genuine.

Archived