IGNORED

Article on the original Degrassi Junior High

2xx1xy1JD

http://www.thegridto.com/culture/televi ... les/#pager

I'm putting this in snark because the show was a fundie's worst nightmare.

I know the show was sold into syndication around the world, but I'm not sure if some of the younger posters here can imagine what it was like to been a teen in the 1980s, watching this show in prime time. There was no 16 & Pregnant back then, MTV just played videos, and we were watching things like The Cosby Show and 90210.

Yes, the production values were low, and yes, the teens all had zits and looked awkward - but that was part of the appeal. It wasn't 90210. Teens liked it because it was real and wasn't afraid to deal with virtually every issue of the day, and parents liked it because they figured it would scare teens into making better choices.

Example:

90210: Brenda sleeps with Dylan. Neither actor is a teen, and both look great. Brenda thinks she might be pregnant. By the end of the episode, she finds out it was a false alarm.

Degrassi: Spike, who's character is only 14, has sex for the first time at a party with Shane. She thinks she may be pregnant. Takes a test, and it's positive. She gets to break the news to her mother, deal with pressure from Shane's parents to give the baby up, deal with an attempt by the school to kick her out, have the baby and then deal with raising her while still attending school herself.

Other characters got AIDS, got accidentally shot in the head, had eating disorders, had abortions, dealts with drunk driving fatalities, etc.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Degrassi Junior High, although I was past my teens when I watched it. I loved it for the very reasons you mentioned.

Very realistic, kids looked like any kids you went to school with.

I haven't seen much of the updated Degrassi, but I've noticed some of the originals are the parents now, which is great. It's nice to see them grown up. It's probably not so cutting edge I suppose since we have all these reality shows that you mentioned.

I've not seen the original Degrassi episodes, only Next Generation, but I've read about the originals and they sound amazing. In the early days of The Next Generation, Manny got an abortion, but when the episode aired in the US it was edited out.

I'm frustrated with the show now, all of the actors look like...actors. Everything is too slick now, even when they deal with real teen problems. I still watch it, but it's not nearly as real as it used to be, even in the beginning of The Next Generation.

And yes, it's definitely a fundie nightmare of a show, and probably highlights all of the reasons they refuse to send their children to public schools.

ETA - Spike and Snake ended up getting married, Snake is the principal at Degrassi now. There were a few other originals that showed up - Joey, Mr. Raditch - but they didn't last as long in The Next Generation as Spike and Snake.

I remember it was on PBS. I watched a few of the episodes, but could never remember when it was on.

I loved Degrassi. I wish they wouldn't have went and ruined the next gen the way they did. The first maybe 4-5 seasons then it just got stupid. Degrassi used to mean something and it became another 90210. Turning it into a soap...gah!

It's so awesome Snake and Spike got married and seeing Joey Jeremiah all grown up.

I've not seen the original Degrassi episodes, only Next Generation, but I've read about the originals and they sound amazing. In the early days of The Next Generation, Manny got an abortion, but when the episode aired in the US it was edited out.

I'm frustrated with the show now, all of the actors look like...actors. Everything is too slick now, even when they deal with real teen problems. I still watch it, but it's not nearly as real as it used to be, even in the beginning of The Next Generation.

And yes, it's definitely a fundie nightmare of a show, and probably highlights all of the reasons they refuse to send their children to public schools.

ETA - Spike and Snake ended up getting married, Snake is the principal at Degrassi now. There were a few other originals that showed up - Joey, Mr. Raditch - but they didn't last as long in The Next Generation as Spike and Snake.

They eventually did show the entirety of the Manny abortion episode. At first, they only showed the sub-plot of the episode which was Toby hacking into the school database and changing Jimmy's grades (which got them detention and led into the breakfast club episode).

I love the early DTNG because it really focused on teen issues. I will never forget the Paige rape episode, the gay bash episode with Marco, or the Terri/Rick abusive relationship storyline. The series now is almost unbearable with the characters they choose to focus on. The only person left that I kinda like is Drew, even though he's with that hideous Katie (that looks to change tonight). I'm tired of Fiona and her issues and I'm tired of Adam and his issues.

Frankly, I've been waiting for them to turn it up and feature a true obese person (Mo does not count) or a real storyline with a character with AIDS (Griffin doesn't count- he was in and out of the series). The storyline could be a teen with a morbidly obese parent they have to care for or the teen being obese due to a disorder and being ridiculed for it (very applicable in our world today). As for the AIDS storyline, I wish they'd deal with a character who has AIDS but is a denialist and spreads it knowingly thinking its harmless. Come on Degrassi!

They eventually did show the entirety of the Manny abortion episode. At first, they only showed the sub-plot of the episode which was Toby hacking into the school database and changing Jimmy's grades (which got them detention and led into the breakfast club episode).

I love the early DTNG because it really focused on teen issues. I will never forget the Paige rape episode, the gay bash episode with Marco, or the Terri/Rick abusive relationship storyline. The series now is almost unbearable with the characters they choose to focus on. The only person left that I kinda like is Drew, even though he's with that hideous Katie (that looks to change tonight). I'm tired of Fiona and her issues and I'm tired of Adam and his issues.

Frankly, I've been waiting for them to turn it up and feature a true obese person (Mo does not count) or a real storyline with a character with AIDS (Griffin doesn't count- he was in and out of the series). The storyline could be a teen with a morbidly obese parent they have to care for or the teen being obese due to a disorder and being ridiculed for it (very applicable in our world today). As for the AIDS storyline, I wish they'd deal with a character who has AIDS but is a denialist and spreads it knowingly thinking its harmless. Come on Degrassi!

Paige's rape was the first episode that I saw, I was babysitting over night for a teacher when I was a sophomore in high school and there was a Degrassi marathon on TV. I had dealt with almost the exact same thing a year before so I just sat on my teacher's couch crying at 1am and watched the entirety of the series that was showing at that point.

I can't stand most of the characters now. I like Fiona (I might crush on her a little) but I'm sick of her story line and she's boring w/out Holly J. I kind of like Claire, but again, boring, and I'm sick to death of Eli, K.C, Jenna, etc. Most of the other characters are forgettable or only used when necessary. The new crew are laughably bad at this point.

It's annoying how "Hollywood" the show has gotten. It was bad enough with Jay and Silent Bob (although fun) but then Mia's modeling, everyone going to Hollywood, Jenna making it far on an American Idol knockoff (with little to no talent), Fiona and Declan being diplomat's kids... None of those things are relatable to the majority of teens today.

You've all forgotten the best aspects of the DJH and DH, the frumpers! Man ,those girls were super frumpy dressers. Even for the 80's, the production designers had to know how horrible the fashions were.

DTNG did have an 'obese' girl. She was big, but pretty, and left the show to be a model in real life, so I guess she didn't really count. Also, one of the twin girls got pregnant and had an abortion. She didn't tell her parents, but did tell her sister. Her sister disagreed with her decision, but still helped her go to the clinic. I think it handled abortion in a fairly realistic, non-preachy light.

ETA: Darcy's rape was handled pretty well, too.

ETA 2: Even a guy got molested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQIBQcTWtk

You've all forgotten the best aspects of the DJH and DH, the frumpers! Man ,those girls were super frumpy dressers. Even for the 80's, the production designers had to know how horrible the fashions were.

DTNG did have an 'obese' girl. She was big, but pretty, and left the show to be a model in real life, so I guess she didn't really count. Also, one of the twin girls got pregnant and had an abortion. She didn't tell her parents, but did tell her sister. Her sister disagreed with her decision, but still helped her go to the clinic. I think it handled abortion in a fairly realistic, non-preachy light.

ETA: Darcy's rape was handled pretty well, too.

I couldn't stand Darcy, especially after what she did to Snake.

I think the twins you're talking about were in the original episodes, not TNG. And the obese girl was Terri, who ended up being in an abusive relationship with Rick.

I might be a tad obsessed...

Remember when Emma caught gonerea (I know its spelled wrong no I dont have spell check) because that Jay dude was spreading it around?

And when they killed TJ I was PISSED!

And Liberty having a baby... and giving it up for adoption.

I think the twins you're talking about were in the original episodes, not TNG. And the obese girl was Terri, who ended up being in an abusive relationship with Rick.

No, I actually knew all of that. I was just being vague for people who aren't obsessed with the show. :lol: Darcy behaved like someone who got raped and wasn't dealing with it should have acted. But yeah, she was a bitch. I can't believe Peter slept with her. I can't believe they wanted to make him bi, but then didn't! Terri was interesting, and should've stayed on the show. Don't get me started with Jimmy....

Remember when Emma caught gonerea (I know its spelled wrong no I dont have spell check) because that Jay dude was spreading it around?

JT's death was HUGE. Liberty bugged me for some reason, but she grew on me after JT's death.

No, I actually knew all of that. I was just being vague for people who aren't obsessed with the show. :lol: Darcy behaved like someone who got raped and wasn't dealing with it should have acted. But yeah, she was a bitch. I can't believe Peter slept with her. I can't believe they wanted to make him bi, but then didn't! Terri was interesting, and should've stayed on the show. Don't get me started with Jimmy....

Oooh, start on Jimmy, start on Jimmy!

I know I'm in a minority, but I really liked Ashley...

Lol...Emma getting ghonnerea was a stupid plot line. They tried to rip off rainbow parties, which don't actually exist...

Liberty's pregnancy was handled pretty well. I'm sure her baby will be featured in Degrassi: The Third Generation.

Oh, and I loved how DJH ended - BURNING DOWN THE SCHOOL with everyone at a dance inside. Awesome!

Visionoyahweh, are you watching the current episodes, Degrassi, The Boiling Point?

Lol...Emma getting ghonnerea was a stupid plot line. They tried to rip off rainbow parties, which don't actually exist...

Emma got a lot of cringeworthy storylines, especially her final match up. :roll:

I am a LONG time lurker. I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I loved that show. We actually watched in our jr high life skills class. Thanks again.

Visionoyahweh, are you watching the current episodes, Degrassi, The Boiling Point?

I've only seen halfway through season 9. I have more new episodes, just haven't watched them yet. I'm too busy being defrauded by Riley...

Are they good?

Oh, and to stay on topic, Darcy really gave Christians a bad name, by being a total bitch from her first minute on the show. At least spinner got his virginity back through Jesus.

I was a huge fan of both DJH and DNG. I was so in love with Wheels. People were always hot over Joey but damn wheels was amazing. I was so sad to hear that he died IRL.

I was a huge fan of both DJH and DNG. I was so in love with Wheels. People were always hot over Joey but damn wheels was amazing. I was so sad to hear that he died IRL.

I didn't know he died! Wheels turned into an assholish character, but the actor himself had a hard life and deserved better.

The 40 K Moms have bitched about the DTNG a few times before. They don't do all their research on it though. On their site, they act like Teen Nick produces the show and they don't realize that it is a Canadian show. I was 17 when DTNG started airing on Noggin which later became Teen Nick. I liked the show and how it handled issues. Some of the acting is pretty good. Noggin did air some of the original Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High episodes for awhile. I remember the twin girl's abortion, the guy with AIDS, and I kind of remember there being a suicide storyline.

I agree with another poster, the Degrassi shows are nightmares for fundies. Another show that would be a nightmare for fundies is the UK version of Skins.

All the way with Stephanie Kay!

My mom was the one who told me about Wheels, and I was like nah you on crack. Then googled and saw. It does sound like at the end he was having a hard time.

I used to love Degrassi and I thought Spike was awesome because of her hair.

I remember sneaking around to watch it because I knew if my mom ever really paid attention she'd ban me from watching it.

The suicide storyline was pretty bad. Snake was pretty traumatized, and the scene was fairly graphic for a teen show.

I hated how the Terri/Rick storyline was handled and I hated how the later school shooting storyline played out.

Archived