IGNORED

Addiction to Rock n' Roll

slh12280

Once upon a time in the early 1980's, a fundie-lite friend of mine in J.R. high told a bunch of us that the devil was stealing our souls because we liked...gasp!... da ebil Ozzy Osbourne and lust music Adam Ant. Still lurve them! Any who, she knew this because her church youth group regularly played rock records backwards and she had heard the Satanic messages hidden on the records!!!! I remember telling her that we didn't play the records backwards, and that her youth pastor was stoopid. Snark, snark, snark. Guess who had sex with her boyfriend inside the CHURCH while in high school? Guess who has been divorced thrice, dates ex-convicts and is a drug addict? Yep, her! I am just a boring school teacher, married for 18 years, and who still listens to Mama I'm Coming Home.

The End.

According to Mr. Dobson, the band 10CC got its' name from a dildo

File under "Things My Partner Taught Me", I guess:

According to Wikipedia, members of 10cc have claimed that they named their band after the amount of semen a man produces, on average, per... emission. *cough* Had to make sure it was the same band, but yes, that did (groan) come up in conversation one evening. I think he was showing me a Godley and Creme music video.

So Dobson actually isn't that far off.

(edited for bbcode fail)

...the band 10CC got its' name from a dildo...

I don't know about 10CC (never heard of them before, actually), but Steely Dan was named after a dildo - from William Burrough's "Naked Lunch."

I don't know about 10CC (never heard of them before, actually), but Steely Dan was named after a dildo - from William Burrough's "Naked Lunch."

What you & Lovefromgirl are saying sounds really familiar. I probably got my facts mixed up--it has been over 20 years since I read that book. I wish I could find it and re-read it from a comedic standpoint.

Did someone mention Jimi Hendrix's member?

http://www.cynthiapcaster.org/casts/_di ... x_page.htm

And you might want to rent "Plaster Caster" a movie about Cynthia and the glorious rock and roll wangs she casted for posterity. It's loads of fun. Put it on your list of "Shit That Will Piss Fundies Off."

http://www.plastercaster.com/home.html

On-topic: Our local fundie X-tian channel used to air a show about some preacher speaking out against popular music. The artists he castigated were the usual suspects-KISS, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne. But he also hated Christian Rock/Pop. By the end of the show I wanted to ask him, "Damn, did Amy Grant Pee in your Wheaties?" This dude was seriously unhinged.

I have to laugh about this - I was subject to the "Rock is EEEEEVIL" videos, too, al the way into the mid/late-90s. As a homeschooled kid, I had never heard Ozzy, Jim Morrison, etc until I saw the videos...so that that kind of defeated the purpose. Also, when it was 1997 and people were still preaching about how bad Ozzy was? They were only about 10, maybe 15 years too late, since I think at that point he wasn't as popular.

There was one video that we had to watch that talked about how all the "Rock musicians" were influenced by Alister Crowley and paganism and they had some footage of Jim Morrison (I think) doing "magic" on stage by pointing his guitar in different directions and (supposedly) calling on the four elements (or spiritis, or something).

The best, though, was this whacked-out guy who would do a "music lecture" on...wait for it...the evils of Wagner. Yes, Classical music Wagner. According to the lecturer, Wagner "turned music on its head" by "inverting melody and harmony." I had no idea what the lecturer was talking about; I took piano and music theory lessons for years, and I just thought the lecturer guy was batshit crazy. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Wagner and I know his music was used for unsavory purposes during the Nazi era, but to say that he's responsible for the downfall of Western music/Civilization, as well as the "father of evil rock music" is a *bit* much.

I had a fundie family tell me that Satan was the minister of music for God and that any music not specifically created to worship God actually worships the evil one. I was like, even Beethoven? I was a little obsessed with classical music at the time. It's funny, cuz the Dad used to be really into music and began quizzing me on Beethoven, even while insisting that it was evil. Like this:

What's the one that goes....(humming)? Right, the ninth! Beautiful stuff! But, yeah, it's all evil, all of the Devil. What do you think about Lachrymosa from the Requiem? Gorgeous, right? I heard it once with the full symphony and choir in San Francisco and it was AMAZING. But, don't listen to that; it's evil.

WORD!!!

Dang, I am a HUGE fan of Jimi Hendrix and even I didn't know there was a plaster cast of his wang. This i have to see. :)

Archived