IGNORED

Dougie's "Oscar-worthy" Performances

justlurking

Dougie's taking more hazardous journeys, ya'll! This time, he and his sons (minus Honor, the always forgotten Phillips child) travel to Iceland to do...well, after watching the trailers (?) I'm not quite sure what the hell they're supposed to be doing there. Check out 'Manhood' in particular for some REAL acting by our fan-ta-bulous Dougie.

http://hazardousjourneys.org/

Damn it, I love Iceland. They don't deserve to go there (and Iceland doesn't deserve to suffer their presence).

"Exploration & Discovery for God’s Glory" It is kind of hilarious that they actually think they're exploring and discovering things.

Damn it, I love Iceland. They don't deserve to go there (and Iceland doesn't deserve to suffer their presence).

"Exploration & Discovery for God’s Glory" It is kind of hilarious that they actually think they're exploring and discovering things.

it is even funnier that it would somehow glorify god. what he has never seen iceland?

Wonder if Dougie et al went to the Blue Lagoon and partook of the mud? That would be a sight to see. Too bad he didn't fall into a lava tube that went on and on and on .....you get my drift. :roll:

Isn't Iceland one of those ebil places with socialized medicine where people drink a lot of alcohol and have sexy fun when they're not married??

Yep. :D The funny thing is, they start the baby-making young and do it a lot (highest birth rate in Europe), just like Dougie would like it, but they're usually unmarried when they start. It's easy to have babies when you have good health care and support for mothers. Iceland was also the first to have an openly gay prime minister, and a woman no less: Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir

Isn't Iceland one of those ebil places with socialized medicine where people drink a lot of alcohol and have sexy fun when they're not married??

Yeah, but God only made the land....he didn't install the government. He only installs governments in America, and only then when the guy is white and republican. :naughty:

I just have to say, I live in Iceland and most of the places they are 'exploring' are right off the main road (some are even visible from the road) and are easily accessible. Certainly not the 'Hazardous Journeys' they are making them out to be. Knowing these places make the films and their 'acting' all the more ridiculous.

"Men wanted for hazardous journey"

I can't with this.

Makes me think of Lemmiwinks the gerbil from a certain episode of South Park. :shock:

I just have to say, I live in Iceland and most of the places they are 'exploring' are right off the main road (some are even visible from the road) and are easily accessible. Certainly not the 'Hazardous Journeys' they are making them out to be. Knowing these places make the films and their 'acting' all the more ridiculous.

Right? :lol: I've been to most of those places (despite not being a man, imagine that?), and I'm not a person who enjoys risk. I'm impressed that they got some of those shots without any other tourists in them, but that's it.

I wonder if the women in the family got to go, or if they had to stay home again while Doug and co. played at being explorers.

In watching the trailer I'm wondering why the hell the girls didn't get to go on this adventure. That looks like so much fun. If I were Beall I'd put my foot down and say "I'm going on this one."

WTF, WTF, WTF.

Over-the-top acting aside, there is just so much WRONG with these videos.

- Running off & leaving a smoldering/burning campfire behind

- Running & skipping through volcanic hot springs where the water temperature can be close to boiling, if it's in proximity to the lava flow.

- Leaving an injured team member unattended (I assume that's what the matter with ol' Josh) while you skip off to explore -- and leave a burning campfire behind!!!

You'd hope that those among Dougie's sycophants who actually hunt game through tracking would get a wake-up call on how bogus their idol is once they see these videos.

Dominion: the story of my cool hike through some places millions of people have been before me with 1/10th of the gear.

Manhood: the story of a little boy who is too dumb to know, among other things, that running with a knife over uneven ground is dangerous, and that cooking over a campfire is better than dipping the fish in a boiling sulfur pool.

Both: liberal use of nonsensical props that no modern explorer would actually use, such as hemp rope. Actual climbing ropes are used incorrectly.

Couldn't stand to watch the other one. Seriously some of the worst shorts I've ever seen, other than some sweet scenery. Also, there are plenty of actual remote places in North America. Why didn't they go there? Oh yeah... cuz then they'd actually be doing hazardous stuff that wasn't just their own stupidity. And it wouldn't have looked as exotic. Yep, at Vision Forum, we're all about pretending.

Ok, I watched the middle one too. Super, super nonsensical. "I'm not sure, but we may have crashed a plane somewhere, though we're uninjured and have steaming mugs to drink from. We will now wander aimlessly until one of us falls off something"?

Note: given how close pimple-face was when he fell, and how he was supposedly tethered to just Dougie on a slippery ice field, if this had been a real scenario, he would have yanked Dougie over. Especially since neither one of them knows how to actually ice climb/arrest a fall. Obviously. Good job on the minor rappelling, too, guys, but you picked some dumb spots to do it. It's hilarious that you've put together this whole website celebrating your exploration expertise, when you know way less about it than me or any of my friends, and we're not posing as anything. We do it for fun, when we're not busy with our day jobs. I'd put you in an adventure race on that terrain with any of a dozen women I know, and you'd lose. Do better next time, guys. Seriously.

Well, that's our Dougie....danger from a safe place. It does seem that he's faking the journeys of Scott, Amundsen, et al.

And welcome to FJ.... How did you find us.

Dougie's taking more hazardous journeys, ya'll! This time, he and his sons (minus Honor, the always forgotten Phillips child) travel to Iceland to do...well, after watching the trailers (?) I'm not quite sure what the hell they're supposed to be doing there. Check out 'Manhood' in particular for some REAL acting by our fan-ta-bulous Dougie.

http://hazardousjourneys.org/

Well thank god they aren't stalking my summer vacation this year. For a few years it was them going places I was going. Amsterdam would defraud them and none of them would actually want to. Limb kilimanjaro.

Thank you. I've never been to Iceland (though it looks wonderful in pictures!) and I was wondering about that myself.

Which brings up another question I have about ol' Dougie: How does he feel about modern extreme sports adventurers?

There are plenty of people who like an extreme physical challenge and adrenaline rush, they sign up for all sorts of hiking/climbing tours, they go rafting on crazy rivers, they strap various apparatus to their feet/bodies/whatever and compete at sports. They are honest about what they do, and it's 100% okay if the arena is just off the main road, or if other sports enthusiasts are also participating, because they're honest about it being for the sports experience.

And they do it in brightly colored high-tech clothing, most of the time.

I.e., they don't dress up in tweed and pretend they're somehow Going Where No Man Has Gone Before.

The stuff Doug does isn't all that out there unusual. He likes to go on interesting nature trips. Okay. He likes to find some dangerous places to hike around. Okay. He likes to dress up. Fine.

But plenty of people do that, and they are either just plain into outdoor sports, or they're involved in theater, and they're honest about it. With Doug, it's the whole pomp and circumstance that rankles, acting as if he's doing this for someone else's grand benefit and he's such a great groundbreaking guy for doing it. Doug, you have hobbies. Great. So do hordes of other people, who even go to the same places you went. That's it.

(not sure just WHY he bugs me so much, but... yeah)

I'm impressed that they got some of those shots without any other tourists in them, but that's it.

This too. I loved looking at various shots of the Vision Forum crowd in Rome. The ones for the blog itself were carefully crafted, but someone here linked to some raw Picasa(?) directories and the BEST part was seeing them standing around in costume next to the Coliseum having their meetings or whatever it is they were doing, while in the background are HORDES of other people, both locals in businesswear and other people who clearly looked like tourists - NORMAL tourists, in modern clothing and carrying guidebooks.

Some of those people were looking toward the camera too, with major side eye going on. It was awesome.

I can just see Dougie screaming at some female tourist to get out of his way because he is trying to make a video to show how dangerous this place is and how only men should be here.

I didn't realize Honor was a boy, I thought it was a girl name.

How much money does Dougie spend on himself doing these things? He could feed bunches of people I'm sure with it.

December 29, 1914 the London Times newspaper ran an advertisement which read, “Men wanted for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.†The man who posted the ad was Sir Earnest Shackleton, an acclaimed arctic explorer who is famous his voyage on the Endurance in which he led group of 27 men through the greatest survival story of all time.

The crew aboard the ship were traveling to antarctica on a variety of dominion goals and during their unforgettable journey their manhood was tested to the full and unparalleled risks were taken repeatedly. It is in this spirit that we start the Hazardous Journeys Society, but we desire to do so much more and in all we do, it is so that the God of Creation will be glorified.

Please come back to visit in the upcoming weeks as we continue to update our site and make sure so sign up for the email newsletter.

Posting this here for posterity. I wonder how long it will take the interns to fix the riffles.

I can't believe he doesn't use the word "romp" once.

Going to antartica in 1914 is nothing like going to Iceland in 2012. It is more like The Really Cool, But Totally Safe Places to Visit Society."

Bwaha, so I just realized that this must be his compromise now that he knows his Antarctica trip isn't going to happen. Antarctica and Iceland are definitely not the same places.

He was actually planning to go to Antarctica?

...though even there, you know what? Plenty of people go to Antarctica. Some people go to hike Vinson Massif as part of a Seven Summits thing (somehow I can't see Doug doing that sort of sport), other people go there to WORK, as scientists of various kinds. And, if you just want to visit for a short time, you can take a boat there on a guided tour, which is surely pretty extreme for your average vacationers but there's video and TV specials about regular middle-aged people doing just that, complete with quite nice scientifically factual nature commentary.

I don't mean to belittle Antarctica at all. I've certainly never been there. But it's not something that NO one ever does, and the people who do go there aren't all about "dominion" and "God's glory" and whatever else. Bottom line is it is not 1914 anymore, anywhere on the Earth.

If a kid of mine were obsessed with going to Antarctica I'd suggest they pursue certain science careers.

If it's about manhood, as Dougie seems obsessed with it, they should just come up with some sort of manhood initiation ritual. It's clear that Vision Forum really really REALLY longs for that sort of thing, some sort of manhood ritual ideally backed up with tons of tradition and pomp. But the problem is they're pasty white suburbanites from Texas. If they want this, they're going to have to start something new. They can make their own version of the Eagle Scouts, or something. It might even be cool. Something that will let the legions of homeschooled sheltered kids know that they've actually ARRIVED on the scene. A debutante ball of sorts.

But trying to glom onto some tradition that they imagine only in their own heads just isn't doing it.

Thing is they sort of paint themselves into a corner with all this deification of the past, they laugh at modernity and "made up traditions" of other people, so they don't want to admit that this new culture they're coming up with is also new.

Archived