IGNORED

teacher pay raises unbiblical

gustava

DEKALB COUNTY, Alabama -- Giving Alabama teachers a big pay raise could go against the Bible, state Sen. Shadrack McGill (R-Woodville) said recently at a prayer breakfast in north Alabama, according to the Times-Journal of Dekalb County.

But McGill supports the 62 percent pay increase the legislature gave itself in 2007 because means lawmakers are now less susceptible to taking bribes, the paper reported.

Regarding teacher pay, McGill said: "It's a Biblical principle. If you double a teacher's pay scale, you'll attract people who aren't called to teach. To go in and raise someone's child for eight hours a day, or many people's children for eight hours a day, requires a calling. It better be a calling in your life. I know I wouldn't want to do it, OK?"

Guest Anonymous
The same reason could be used with members of government. Being a politician is a calling so they don't deserve higher pay

Harrumph! Especially not THIS knuckledragger.

Oh boy.

In high school I had an excellent chemistry teacher who in addition to teaching chemistry and grading papers, trained herself to start teaching AP Chem, and had a job delivering food after school so she and her husband could make ends meet. Down here, my husband makes more working at a call center than he would as a teacher.

Have you heard the other thing my state has pulled lately regarding schools? They had some guy named Bible Man come to do a school assembly, and a senator said it was ok because separation of church and state wasn't real or valid or something.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -lawsuits/

Sometimes I wish Abraham Lincoln would have just let the south secede.

It makes me really sad this. My dad is a teacher, and works his ass off. He has to pay for a lot of supplies out of pocket, stays extra hours after school to tutor/coach. Oh and I know few teachers who take summer off to hang out at the beach (like I've noticed a lot of people assume). My dad works 12 hour days and is shipped all around the state for his job in the summer. And this guy thinks they should get paid peanuts but yet he should get paid more?

What a fucking douchecanoe.

Bible in "not containing detailed descriptions of union negotiations" shock.

Also, doesn't it say "The labourer is worthy of his hire"?

I hate the way teachers are treated, as my mom was a teacher before she retired, and I saw how she worked her ass off not just every school day, but all the time. She had to pay for her own supplies, and often cleaned her own classroom since the custodial staff was really hit hard by the budget cuts, and if my mom didn't have the seniority she did, there's a good chance she would have been laid off instead of being able to retire.

Archived