IGNORED

TLC orders Preacher Wives

dawn9476

Just in Atlanta? Because obviously there's no fucking preachers outside Atlanta, or Georgia, or maybe it's just large cities. :roll: [/slightlyofftopic]

I anticipate a slew of "submit to your husbands" bullshit. I also anticipate the one female preacher being of a fairly liberal congregation, while the rest are housewives who do nothing but scrapbooking, devotions, and Pampered Chef parties.

Maybe because there are just an inordinate number of asshat preachers in Atlanta, like the fella who just 'settled' to shut up the small group of teenage boys and young men that came through his house as special Jesus projects that he also liked to sleep with (New Birth Missionary Baptist Church). Plus crazy Creflo Dollar (good name for a preacher), and Paul Crouch and the Wife Who Is Probably A Drag Queen.

Actually, maybe the draw is that most preacher wives in Atlanta seem to tart themselves up like Drag Queens first thing every morning. (My mom has toned things down a little now that my dad semi-retired, ha ha).

Just in Atlanta? Because obviously there's no fucking preachers outside Atlanta, or Georgia, or maybe it's just large cities. :roll: [/slightlyofftopic]

I anticipate a slew of "submit to your husbands" bullshit. I also anticipate the one female preacher being of a fairly liberal congregation, while the rest are housewives who do nothing but scrapbooking, devotions, and Pampered Chef parties.

TLC probably feels that viewers can relate to Atlanta. It's a non-threatening major city [say as opposed to New York, LA or Chicago], it's Southern [which feeds the stereotype that all Evagelicals are Southern]. And it's probably non-union so it's cheap to film there- they don't have to pay union wages to PAs, camera guys, ect.

I'm sorry, I know I should be upset about this, but I love this shit.

I am curious about the description. It looks like it could leave room for women who wives and are preachers themselves rather than only wives of preachers, which could be interesting.

TLC probably feels that viewers can relate to Atlanta. It's a non-threatening major city [say as opposed to New York, LA or Chicago], it's Southern [which feeds the stereotype that all Evagelicals are Southern]. And it's probably non-union so it's cheap to film there- they don't have to pay union wages to PAs, camera guys, ect.

I just don't get what the pull is to large cities, I guess. I just figured if you're going to make a show about preacher's wives, even only evangelical ones, it would be nice to do it like Teen Mom and film people in different settings.

This pisses me off, but not for the reason you'd think. Why must reality shows about women frame them ONLY via their connection to men? Sister Wives, Mob Wives, Housewives, Baseball Wives, Basketball Wives, even dating shows? It's really, really infuriating to have women's stories be presented as interesting only because their husbands or boyfriends are deemed interesting due to wealth or career.

There could easily be shows about WNBA players- I'm sure they hang out together and do interesting things, or a religious show about female ministers and rabbis.

This pisses me off, but not for the reason you'd think. Why must reality shows about women frame them ONLY via their connection to men? Sister Wives, Mob Wives, Housewives, Baseball Wives, Basketball Wives, even dating shows? It's really, really infuriating to have women's stories be presented as interesting only because their husbands or boyfriends are deemed interesting due to wealth or career.

There could easily be shows about WNBA players- I'm sure they hang out together and do interesting things, or a religious show about female ministers and rabbis.

^ This too. Where's the Crazy Feminist Show? Or Not Wives?

Or, you know, Brother Husbands, Househusbands, Baseball Husbands, Basketball Husbands...?

I propose a new show to counter this one: Preacher Husbands. Their wives are preachers; they are not. Occasionally they might come up to the pulpit, but mostly they do normal people things.

The good thing is, in Christianity men aren't expected to stay at home and be submissive to their wives, so Preacher Husbands wouldn't be FUCKING BORING and full of staged drama and whining about stupid "she said!!!!" shit.

This is going to end SOOOO badly! (rubs hands together!) Wow, so we get to see them driving their Bentleys and wearing prada while feeding the homeless!

Eddie Long is a disgusting excuse for a human being (go ahead and google his dekalb county child molestation non cases). Atlanta is a hotbed for these snake oil salesmen. This is going to be awesome snark!

I want a Crazy Feminist Housewives reality show. I would totally watch that show. Hell, I would star in it.

That first comment made me laugh so hard. I actually squealed.

Will Eddie Long's wife be on this show? I've always wondered what the wives do while their husbands are having sex with men.

Just in Atlanta? Because obviously there's no fucking preachers outside Atlanta, or Georgia, or maybe it's just large cities.

They're probably limiting it to Atlanta to keep production costs down. It's a lot cheaper to make a reality show set in one locale.

Besides, Atlanta's got more than enough camera-ready crazy to keep the show going through many seasons, should it turn out to be a success.

I want a Crazy Feminist Housewives reality show. I would totally watch that show. Hell, I would star in it.

I would watch it too. There also needs to be a Brother Husbands or a show about poly relationships other than 1 man, n women.

TLC sure has a hard-on for submissive women. Makes me wonder if TLC is headed by ultra conservative men.

I miss when TLC truly was a channel for learning.

They're probably limiting it to Atlanta to keep production costs down. It's a lot cheaper to make a reality show set in one locale.

Besides, Atlanta's got more than enough camera-ready crazy to keep the show going through many seasons, should it turn out to be a success.

Right now Atlanta has some KRAZY tax benefits to film here. I think the Mayor will personally come by and open your bottled water if you film in the city. We have the "big city" money, the "southern" charm and the "real housewives" behavior all rolled into our ministers. Where else can mega churches thrive while the ministers fuck young boys, hold "investment" seminars where the "church" gets a kickback (then the company goes bust with all the money), buy airplanes from mandatory love offerings while their congregants have their homes foreclosed, and churches that close schools on saturday (for monday) because they decided it wasnt profitable.

I lost a bet once and had to go to one of these "churches". The "minister" was off preaching getting money so the wife took over the service. She had more bling on her than a rapper. I mean, sparkling so bad you needed sunglasses... her sermon... "robbing god." If you're not tithing 10% youre ROBBING GOD! People came up with their "offerings" and everyone clapped. If you didnt go, the people next to you knew it. Then to get out you HAD to shake the hand of an usher who knew (atleast that I hadnt given shit) and asked for money AGAIN.

I fucking love atlanta!

I'd love to join you, except I'd be a Crazy Feminist Ex-Housewife ;) (or would that be House-Ex-Wife? Still bustin my ass at home with the kiddo's, just doing it all solo... hmm...)

Archived