IGNORED

Creationism in the Classroom Part Deux

emmiedahl

Missouri is following Indiana's lead in teaching creationism, but with a twist: teachers will be required to teach creationism and they will have to present it as accepted science. Even in college classrooms.

the Missouri Standard Science Act skips school boards and directly forces teachers to teach creationism. The bill goes even further than that, however. It not only requires that creationism be taught in elementary and high school, but also in introductory college science courses as well. It also requires textbooks to include creationism.

Read all about it here: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/12 ... versities/

Also, an awesome graphic...

images-17.jpeg

Love the pic!

Although I gotta say, I never learned much about evolution beyond those little squares (not because of religion, but because I never took any science more advance than very basic Chemistry) but it was one of the easier things we did in science class, certainly easier than all that DNA matchy-matchy stuff (sorry, can you tell I'm not a science person).

Forgive my contradiction, but your topic seems like this is law. THis is not law, it is a stupid bill introduced by equally stupid conservative senators. It will never pass.

THey don;t have to teach creationism at all. But as a science/ Well the graphic petty much says it all. THen you can skip all that really hard and boring stuff like carbon dating and radioactive degradation.

The fact that this bill is even being introduced is terrifying. The quickest way to get me to homeschool? Have the public schools teach this fairy tale as if it's based on evidence and not ancient peoples trying to understand their place in the universe.

heh.. another reason to homeschool. Granted I live in neither of these states.. but if we are trying to out Christian eachother.. well... KY will jump in!

The surest way to keep such idiotic bills from coming into existence is for nonChristian religions to sue to have their creation story taught as fact also. However, if Christian creationsim gets taught as fact, scientist should not take a hands off position on religion but should start testing to prove whether the Christian god exists. Hey, if you're going to say that he is a scientific possiblity, prove him.

For example, Let adult volunteers use prayer instead of medicine to try to heal their medical conditions. Another group can use medication. Scientist can observe and report back which group was most succesful.

Of course, a lot of Christians will claim that their god has to be believed through faith but that means that you can't teach his existence as fact in a science class.

If they're pushing for creationism then they should also agree to teach every kind of creation myth. What makes Christianity the special religion?

This kind of news along with ACTA/PIPA/SOPA is what is persuading me more and more to move to Canada once I save my money...

This kind of news along with ACTA/PIPA/SOPA is what is persuading me more and more to move to Canada once I save my money...

I love my country but I've considered the same thing.

Ugh. Why can't they keep their stupid to themselves? Why do they try to smear it all over the public education system? It's a free country (for now). If they want to be idiots, they can be idiots. But don't force other people's kids to be exposed to it. Such willful ignorance is a horrible thing to behold.

What's worse is that these people know they're not going to get this billed passed. They know that even if they did succeed in passing it, it would be challenged and overturned - at great expense. I think the game is to burn resources that could otherwise be used to properly educate children. These people thrive on ignorance. They piss me off.

p.s. I've considered a Canada move, too. In all seriousness.

My husband is dead set moving to Canada or anywhere else. Depending on the direction things like this go in the next 5 years or so, I may just hightail it up there with the kids anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
Missouri is following Indiana's lead in teaching creationism, but with a twist: teachers will be required to teach creationism and they will have to present it as accepted science. Even in college classrooms.

Read all about it here: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/12 ... versities/

Also, an awesome graphic...

images-17.jpeg

Nooo. How is this possible?

Indiana House Speaker killed the bill about teaching creationism in public schools.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012021 ... |text|News

Thank God. Let's hope Missouri is next.

I am SO happy. I didn't think it would pass, but who knows? People are voting for Santorum, clearly I am not in touch with much of the nation.

I know parents can opt their kids out of sex education because its not in line with their personal beliefs. I wonder if parents can opt their kids out of creationism "science" especially if its being taught from a fundie christian perspective? I mean these crazies do believe in parents right to control their kids education right?

What in the hell were my husband and I thinking, moving to this part of the country for a new job and graduate school? I have been horrified by the state of Missouri since the day I set foot in it.

Guest Anonymous

Attending public school in the 70's & 80's in the deep south, creationism was never taught at any grade level. My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I do remember being taught about the evolution of man at various grade levels. I don't really recall how in depth it was since that part of history wasn't my favorite, and not for religious regions...it just bored me. Like I said, my memory is kind of fuzzy here, but I don't think parents could opt out of history class since it was a required subject. Anyway, I agree these Creationism bills should be killed. Even though I am a Christian, there is this little thing called separation of church and state, and I think that should extend to public schools.

Archived