IGNORED

And the big hairband bows & flowers begin...

0 kids n not countin

Did anyone check out the wedding pictures?

Pink ties on the men, I'm shocked! Isn't that too feminine for men?

She looks so young, just out of diapers herself.

Silly, thats not pink, thats salmon!!!

I really can't stand the big flowers on baby girls. I think it is stupid.

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with this girl.

And as someone who on a regular basis gets mistaken for one of her students (I teach high school and I am 30) I can't real say anything about how old she looks other than congratulations :lol:

Lol...me and my autocorrect!

I did laugh at that, and also at the fact Jezebel was looking at "pubic records" :D :D

Not only am I mentally a 12 year old boy, but both are so weirdly appropriate to the thread...

Eh, of all the fundies we snark on, these kids seem to be doing OK. There's lots of pictures of baby Tori in fuzzy sleepers, being snuggled in her Moby wrap, etc. As someone else said, the house is clean and the kids look well cared for. And after looking at the wedding pictures, it seems like the family has much improved on the fashion front from their earlier days.

I think part of the reason Abigail may look so young is the HUGE height difference between the two. I think on the courtship story, they said something like he's 6'4", she's 5'2"!

Eh, they're slightly annoying I guess, but they seem pretty normal. Those wedding photos are solid freaking gold, though! I remember them now: the choir-concert-bridesmaids, the seventh-grade piano recital shoes, etc. Her husband has definitely lost some hair, though, and you're right, the height difference is freaking me out!

Yes they don't seem so bad...and Abigail seems to have drifted away from super fundie from looking at the photos of her in jeans, cut hair etc. As mentioned it seems Taylor did not grow up in a fundie home, so perhaps Taylor had a few year fling with fundiedom. They seem happy enough, so who am I to judge.

Here is her old blog:

http://otwellfamily.wordpress.com/

Her birthday is July 6 1990. She does look a lot younger!

Taylor's parents seem to have a very nice home, I've never seen anything similar on a fundie blog.

Check the thanksgiving spread too!

Seems Abigail has become very close with the inlaws. No doubt they are helping her move out of fundie land. I wonder what her family thinks of all this? I don't see as many photos with them as with her inlaws...but that doesn't necessarily mean the relationship is strained either.

I did laugh at that, and also at the fact Jezebel was looking at "pubic records" :D :D

Oh, dear. :shock: I don't even have autocorrect to blame! :lol:

LOL...you know, "pubic records" sounds like it could be fundie thing...keep track of you daughter's hymens through pubic records.

Did anyone check out the wedding pictures?

Pink ties on the men, I'm shocked! Isn't that too feminine for men?

She looks so young, just out of diapers herself.

Wow, she does look very young. She looks very child-like next to her husband. The pink hearts on their wedding cake makes me think that she's quite young, as well.

I've been seeing a lot of flower headbands and bows in the stores at the mall, especially at Claire's, which caters to tweens. I don't mind the smaller bows and headgear on the wee ones, but the baby in the photo upthread looks like she's wearing one of those old-fashioned petal bathing caps.

I can't tell you why, but I can tell you that it is true. I lived my teens and early 20s in the deep south, and it was not until I went to Uganda at 22 that I realized that it was not mandatory to put on make-up every day. Especially in church circles, women didn't leave home without several coats of make-up, rigidly sprayed poofy hair, perfume, and usually floral pattern dresses that looked like somebody's wallpaper or curtains went missing. Likewise, the crinolines and bows on the little girls were epic. I remember one woman in our church who, a few days after having a little bald baby girl, said, "I am gonna have to nail a bow to her head, she's got no hair." She was joking about the nail, but sure as heck was going to find some way to stick a big flowery girl thing on that baby. My own mother had a little at-home business making frilly lacy bows attached to garment snaps or velcros that would stay in fine baby hair.

All I can say is I am so happy that I escaped the South, the Church, and I thank the universe and all that is holy for the advent of grunge fashion. I intend to be stuck in the grunge epoc for the rest of my days on this earth. I had enough hair-and-make-up from age 12-22 to last me my whole life.

I've been seeing a lot of flower headbands and bows in the stores at the mall, especially at Claire's, which caters to tweens. I don't mind the smaller bows and headgear on the wee ones, but the baby in the photo upthread looks like she's wearing one of those old-fashioned petal bathing caps.

EXACTLY my thought too - it's an old bathing cap from the 50s!!! Happy to know it wasn't just me thinking so.

Baby is cute though. I think it's their natural protective camouflage :D

LOL, it fit this thread to a T :) Like PnC says, you know fundies would if they could!

I once sent out an email to over 100 people inviting them to a "pubic assembly"....:D

I remember one woman in our church who, a few days after having a little bald baby girl, said, "I am gonna have to nail a bow to her head, she's got no hair." She was joking about the nail, but sure as heck was going to find some way to stick a big flowery girl thing on that baby. My own mother had a little at-home business making frilly lacy bows attached to garment snaps or velcros that would stay in fine baby hair.

I was bald until I was almost 2 (then my hair grew in super-thick and wavy for some reason). My mother used to put sticky-bows for wrapping gifts on my head :oops: She was still asked what the "little fella" was called on several occasions.

Guest Anonymous

EXACTLY my thought too - it's an old bathing cap from the 50s!!! Happy to know it wasn't just me thinking so.

Baby is cute though. I think it's their natural protective camouflage :D

I think the bathing cap style hat would be really cute without the flower. :)

Hate babies to be dressed in bulky clothes though - that demin looks uncomfortable.

I started reading back through some of the old posts on this blog and :roll: at this entry:

From time to time it hits me just how blessed I am to have a husband that wants me to stay at home. This morning was one of those moments, I was curled up on the couch with a cup of coffee and my Bible, and it hit me afresh just how blessed I am! Yet, a lot of people look at being a homemaker as something grievous or “less than†being out in the corporate world.

One morning I was getting James ready for the day, and I realized that if I had a job outside the home, I would be getting him ready to go to daycare, Taylor and I would be eating a very rushed breakfast, then we would go three different directions for the day- Taylor to his work, me to mine and James to daycare I could NEVER bring myself to drop him off with strangers for the WHOLE day…

And also, just realizing that a Mother’s job is eternal, we are raising souls for Jesus, and Lord willing one day our children will put their trust in Him. And in what job out there do you get to go get a rosy cheek-delicious baby after a nap and love on him, and see his sweet smiles and hear those little giggles… And at what job do you get to hear a sweet little voice calling out “mama’??

“Thank you Lord for my wonderful husband that wants me to stay home with our baby, and keep the house, and thanks for blessing us with this PRECIOUS little man to raise for You.†Amen.

It always annoys me when fundies think it's one extreme or the other. You either have to be a stay at home mom for life, or be in a high-powered corporate job, stick your kid in daycare all day long, blah, blah. Never any middle ground. This girl reminds me of Kristina in that sense - very young, never had a job outside the home and is probably never going to have one.

otwellfamily.com/?p=1336

Guest Anonymous
I started reading back through some of the old posts on this blog and :roll: at this entry:

It always annoys me when fundies think it's one extreme or the other. You either have to be a stay at home mom for life, or be in a high-powered corporate job, stick your kid in daycare all day long, blah, blah. Never any middle ground. This girl reminds me of Kristina in that sense - very young, never had a job outside the home and is probably never going to have one.

otwellfamily.com/?p=1336

Yeah, but that's the obligatory young sahm preachy blog post... wait a couple of years and she'll soon start backtracking :mrgreen:

Mrs Anna T was oh-so-grateful for her SAHM status... until baby no 2 came along and she found that it no longer meant that she was free to nap all day long.

They reap what they sow.

I think how young she looks has been discussed on FJ before. Since I looked like a teenager until I was in my late 20's, I can't really point fingers about it.

Personally, I'm disturbed that one of the pictures of their daughter is labeled "Little Dolly." That's a person, not a toy!

Okay, that last post was annoying, but I'm sure it's not just religious people who think that way. We're six months apart, so to me she sounds like some of my high school classmates. :roll:

Well, I do agree that they are a "cute" couple, but certainly fundy though perhaps not as fundy as in the past (well we can only hope). She is certainly from a fundy family, and he has a website too (though he hasn't posted anything on it for a few years) that looks quite fundy to me. Perhaps he became fundy after his parents divorced? She mentioned they didn't touch etc., until her wedding day when her dad (kudos to her for not saying "daddy") put her hand in his, and she had another post about the importance of purity, I guess to me that screams fundy. Another thing that screams fundy to me is she seems to have gone from no touching, to doing it all & perhaps getting pregnant on her wedding night, they were married in mid July and their first child was born the following April, thus she was pregnant right away and they never even had the opportunity to be a married couple really, prior to having a kid. Maybe she was "lucky" her second pregnancy wasn't until her first child was a year old, but it seems to me she'll have a bunch more (she doesn't specifically say she's "Quiverfull, but it seems to me that's her thinking, speaking of, is it possible to be Quiverfull and not be fundy?). Her fashion sense has certainly improved over the years (and is actually pretty nice imo, the shorter her certainly looks good on her) but I did notice that when she visits her family (they moved to a different state) she seems to go back to her more conservative/frumpy style. Perhaps she doesn't feel comfortable wearing jeans in their presence. His family certainly doesn't seem fundy at all. She seems to have a close relationship with her sister Hanna, who "graduated" from home school either last year or in 2010. Regarding her looking young, I guess some people are "blessed" in that way, when I was in my 20's people always mistakenly though I was younger. I guess she's like Elizabeth Arndt in that respect. Anyway, just my perceptions, in many ways she's just as "scary" as Kristina to me.

Also wanted to add, since she was raised to believe getting married and having kids is her only option in life, at least her dad allowed her to do this, and allowed her to marry Taylor even though his parents aren't fundy. Steve Maxwell should follow his example, but can you imagine if he let Sarah marry a fundy guy whose parents aren't fundy, and if, heaven forbid, she decided to "update" her look a bit and maybe even wear jeans from time to time...

I've only been hanging around here for a few months but I still can't get over seeing the pictures of these weddings/ pics with mom and baby (this blog and other fundie blogs). They always look so young!

I feel hypocritical since I married at 19 (both 19) although in my pictures I look older for some reason...but I can't imagine having had kids right away. That might have slowed down my swift move from (fundie lite) christian smalltown girl to agnostic, feminist liberal city girl...and we wouldn't want that. I can't even imagine having kids now and I've been married 5 years!

I know I sound like a freejinger newbie still being shocked at seeing this, but it just baffles me...the thought of being my age with 3 or so kids, staying at home and "serving" my husband.

OT: Since I'm speaking of being a "newbie", for the months I've been reading this site I have always pronounced freejinger in my head like you would pronounce "freepinger" or "free-ringer". I don't know why, and I know it's not right, but I can't think of it any other way. :) I think that's a fail on Michelle Dugger's part for thinking that "Jinger" makes any sense. Or that I can't read.

Archived