IGNORED

Did Jim Bob's father drink?

3 is enough

This has been bothering me for a while now. During the episode about Grandpa Duggar's death and funeral, they showed a collage of photos. I distinctly remember seeing a photo of Granpda sitting in a restaurant with a beer in front of him. Does anyone else remember this?

I just wonder what happened to make Jim Bob so opposed to drinking when his father seemed to be ok with it.

I can't speak to the drinking but as far as I know both Boob and OfJimBoob had fairly normal upbringings. They were likely conservative Christians but not fundies. Michelle was a cheerleader and Jim Bob mentioned that he did track. I gather they watched tv, listened to music, etc. and then went insane and raise their kids the way they do because they've been lead down the bullshit path. I know on the San Fran episode Boob said he had tried beer once and "spit it out" because he hated it. Grandpa Duggar also commented that at first he really didn't like the idea of them having so many children, and that he only had two because that was all he could look after and provide for. It's definitely not a like father like son situation.

Edited: I wrote Grandma by mistake.

I always felt sad for Grandpa Duggar. One of his kids went off the deep end. He must have wondered what he did wrong.

I kind of think it was Grandma Duggar that went off the deep end, and took JimBoob with her. It's possible that marriage wasn't so hot, and she went looking for comfort and solace in all the wrong places. But instead of bars and other men, she chose Jesus and shame. I don't have any real proof of this, it's just a gut feeling. The thread yesterday that had the comment about what the Duggars are really like reinforced the feeling. I think that commentator went overboard, but you know there had to be some truth to it. Something about Grandma Duggar just seems off.

This might also be based on the fact that my QF cousin was lead down that path by his own mother. And she got into it for reasons similar to Michelle's. Before that, she was just a nice lady with a good sense of humor. But once she went fundie, she turned into a completely different person, divorced my sweetie of an uncle, and scared one of her sons into following her. Now in her old age, she doesn't even operate in anything close to reality. And my cousin married a fundie woman, they had 8 kids that they really can't support and they live in an old house that's falling apart. Pattern, anyone?

But back to the original topic (!), yes I do think Grandpa enjoyed a drink now and then. He seems like he was just a good ol' Arky boy.

I remember an older episode when Jichelle was pregnant with one of the girls (Jennifer maybe? Or Jordyn, but it was definitely in their new house and Grandpa was still doing okay) he made a comment about "this better be the last one". :lol:

So I take it from the video below Jchelle's parents were not very religious as she avoids the question in her normal way:

But what about JimBoob's mother, is she a full on Fundi?

Would his sister and Amy drink as they are Chrisitians but not fundi.

From what has been said/written, Michelle did not attend church at all before some friend scared the shit out of her by talking about the Revelation when she was 15.

Boob's mother appears to have been religious to some degree: Boob attended Christian schools, yet Deanna went to Fayetteville High. I guess they only had money to send one kid to the Christian school and in Ma's mind, the male took precedence. No matter what was said at Grandpa's funeral, I never got the impression that Grandpa was more than a CINA (Christian in name only), sort of like Amy. Grandma, however, drank the Kool-aid when she saw Boob bringing in the coin. She knew what side her bread was buttered on.

But she wasn't always that way. Not long before Grandpa died, they had a 49th anniversary party of when the Grandparents first got together. Grandma was then 67, going on 68. So, they were together since she was 18 and didn't marry immediately, yet it wasn't because one of them went away to college. Bottom line, she had no compunctions about dating before marriage. I also think she wore pants in the very early specials, but now that she's living at the compound, she's solely in skirts. I suppose it's easier for her in Gothardland since she has already raised her quiver and she just has to toe the party line, without saying very much, to her grandkids. If asked a spiritual question, she has the freedom to say "Go ask your parents [or, more likely, one of your sisters]."

I think there are dry counties in Arkansas, so there must be a good number of teetotalers around to be influenced by. With Michelle constantly pregnant or breastfeeding for decades, JimBob probably would have to drink alone if he wanted to drink at all. At this point for them, it's probably like, why start? And while they pass a lot of responsibility onto their older kids, they might feel uncomfortable putting them completely in charge just so they could get tipsy (as opposed to putting them completely in charge while they're doing something important, like speaking publicly or something). I mean, they're probably not giving up something they would be able to enjoy that much anyway. I dunno how JimBob made it through young adulthood without drinking, though.

Well, if he mentioned tasting beer and hating it, then maybe he assumed all alcohol would be the same. My parents are big wine drinkers, which is not really my thing, so I thought alcohol was "meh" at best until one of my cousins handed me a beer at a family reunion.

Well, if he mentioned tasting beer and hating it, then maybe he assumed all alcohol would be the same. My parents are big wine drinkers, which is not really my thing, so I thought alcohol was "meh" at best until one of my cousins handed me a beer at a family reunion.

Yeah. For a long time the only alcohol I'd ever had was Manichewitz at Jewish functions and I HATED it. And generally, I dislike the taste of alcohol, but I really like certain white wines and mixed drinks. But because my first experiences with alcohol were unappealing, I wasn't at all adventurous about trying it. It took until about last year (I just turned 21) for me to find out there was alcohol I actually liked. So I can actually understand that Jim Bob would totally reject alcohol based on disliking his first taste. Especially if he's never been in an environment with friends who like to drink.

Jim Bob's recollection could have been stretched. He may have had 2-3 beers and gotten quite drunk because it was his first time. I know the first time I drank it was hard liquor with my friends. We had no idea how much a person needed to drink to get drunk. I got really super sick for the whole night. For two years after I didn't drink, bc the smell of it made me want to vomit.

He also got married super young and before 21. Since Michelle was 15 when she became an active christian, she had probably never drank either. I wouldn't be surprised if he really only tried alcohol once - he may have gone to parties and been the one to drive home. There is some peer pressure, but ultimately, partiers will not isolate you because you are not drinking, so long as you don't get on a high horse and tell them what to do. My experience, anyways. Plus, hard partying teens always need a sober driver.

. The thread yesterday that had the comment about what the Duggars are really like reinforced the feeling. I think that commentator went overboard, but you know there had to be some truth to it. Something about Grandma Duggar just seems off.

Deelaem, can you point me to that thread, please? I seemed to have missed it. Thanks!

From what has been said/written, Michelle did not attend church at all before some friend scared the shit out of her by talking about the Revelation when she was 15.

Boob's mother appears to have been religious to some degree: Boob attended Christian schools, yet Deanna went to Fayetteville High. I guess they only had money to send one kid to the Christian school and in Ma's mind, the male took precedence. No matter what was said at Grandpa's funeral, I never got the impression that Grandpa was more than a CINA (Christian in name only), sort of like Amy. Grandma, however, drank the Kool-aid when she saw Boob bringing in the coin. She knew what side her bread was buttered on.

But she wasn't always that way. Not long before Grandpa died, they had a 49th anniversary party of when the Grandparents first got together. Grandma was then 67, going on 68. So, they were together since she was 18 and didn't marry immediately, yet it wasn't because one of them went away to college. Bottom line, she had no compunctions about dating before marriage. I also think she wore pants in the very early specials, but now that she's living at the compound, she's solely in skirts. I suppose it's easier for her in Gothardland since she has already raised her quiver and she just has to toe the party line, without saying very much, to her grandkids. If asked a spiritual question, she has the freedom to say "Go ask your parents [or, more likely, one of your sisters]."

I have read the same things about Michelle's family not attending church when she was growing up. Here is a link from the Duggar site that mentions that

duggarfamily.com/content/faq/29564/1. Please tell me how you and Jim Bob met and fell in love. When, where, etc...

I think the same thing about Boob's mom. I think she was the one who was a fundie and Boob's dad wasn't.

humm..... I thought before they moved into the linken log house, they were "regular" Christians, not off the deep end or anything. I remember Gma wearing pants. I seem to remember she started wearing skirts only after moving in with Boob. Gma seems very sweet. I wish Boob would find someone else to wash his underwear..... It's Gma's time to retire/relax....

I also remember seeing a TV in Gma/Gpa's house.

I don't know that he drank, but in their first book they relate that he had no trouble earning money, just trouble hanging onto it. Both Duggars grew up normally--Church on Sunday at best and tv, sports, friends.....

Archived